Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM

68 posts, read 120,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I pretty much agree with this guy. Actually, I'm shocked because I've never met a legal, educated Mexican immigrant.

Like I said before, the majority of the Mexican laborers I've met and worked with came from rural areas with an 8th grade education. That's the equivalent of working with poor Tennessee Valley people, or white trash. I don't want to do that either, and that demographic isn't good for much either.
Yeah I've met quite a few legal Mexican immigrants and I found the same general lack of value for education. Some seemed terrified at applying to colleges. Others just didn't even give it a serious consideration. Pretty much all were jealous of my lifestyle and my income and most had these pipe dreams of owning a Jaguar automobile or being a cardio-thoracic surgeon or something but none of them really did anything to get to that position. Now some will call me racist for saying so, but it is the reality at least as I saw it: most had 2-3 kids before they were even college age. It's possible that I met a small subset with these tendencies, but it's what I saw. I could never figure it out. Most recent immigrants to the US find this country to be a "Mecca" for higher education. But I find it lacking in this ethnicity generally. They do work very hard though, but the kind of resentment I felt from them for being educated and earning more/working less was something I didn't really like. They even gave me the impression that they felt they should be able to do what I do without any credentials. They were very nice and simple people, but extremely enamored with American consumerism and no desire to make the sacrifices needed to live the lifestyle they desired so much. Again, I've also seen some very successful Mexican immigrants but they are not so common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I feel so horribly racist for saying this, but I really wish there were more white people in Humboldt Park.
I just get so lonely.
I hear ya (my wife & I have lived around Belmont & Cicero for the past 6 yrs instead of Humboldt...we almost bought there though). Like you, we were the victims of bad market timing and we're stuck.

There are some great ppl in our neighborhood but we do feel like outsiders sometimes. I definitely memorize the white faces I see on the #77 every day. Striking up a friendship is tougher though...there's this British woman who exits the bus at Kostner and we've had very brief conversations but I can't figure out a way to hit things off without sounding like I'm trying to pick her up. Maybe I just suck at making friends and it has nothing to do with my hood.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvt10 View Post
Again, I've also seen some very successful Mexican immigrants but they are not so common.
To many a person just coming here and getting a job (or two) and raising a family in far better conditions than they had in Mexico is success. I respect any person who puts his nose to the grindstone and provides for his family.

I expect the Mexicans to follow the same road as the European immigrants; first work as laborers, second generation some move into better paying work, then some go to college and some into the trades and so forth. Some will do better than others.

Right now I see many Mexican-Americans in the union building trades and many Irish-Mexican, Italian-Mexican and Polish-Mexican marriages. Looks to me like they're right on schedule.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
To many a person just coming here and getting a job (or two) and raising a family in far better conditions than they had in Mexico is success. I respect any person who puts his nose to the grindstone and provides for his family.

I expect the Mexicans to follow the same road as the European immigrants; first work as laborers, second generation some move into better paying work, then some go to college and some into the trades and so forth. Some will do better than others.

Right now I see many Mexican-Americans in the union building trades and many Irish-Mexican, Italian-Mexican and Polish-Mexican marriages. Looks to me like they're right on schedule.
I definitely agree. My future SIL is married to a third generation Mexican whose Mexican dad married an Irish girl. He's hard at work in medical school right now, so he's definitely "made it."

The thing is that so many first generation laborers are spilling into the labor pool that it is disproportionate to the professional, third generation group. All I have to do is walk around my neighborhood to see fresh immigrants - and I'd hazard a guess most do gritty things for a living.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM

68 posts, read 120,816 times
Quote:

No argument there. I tend to think of the way Korean, Jewish or Indian immigrants go straight for education. But yes, surely by 3rd generation things will improve and I'd like to see that.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
Scandinavian. If a colony (non-sovereign, naturalized) were settled in Chicago, it would have a high standard of education which the children would inherit and pass down. Most would have at least some college and a plurality would have a masters or higher degree. 100% literacy.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
I respect any person who puts his nose to the grindstone and provides for his family.

It's the Catholic Connection.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM

22 posts, read 41,186 times
Quote:

I expect the Mexicans to follow the same road as the European immigrants; first come here legally, then work as laborers, second generation some move into better paying work, then some go to college and some into the trades and so forth. Some will do better than others.

Lucky Charms, seems you need a little education. The flow of insecurity leads to your obvious unjustification.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM

22 posts, read 41,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Careful with what you say there. My parents both came to this country from Mexico. And both have Master's in Chemical Engineering and have built a nice fortune for themselves. Something most people in this country can't say.
You are clearly lying. Nothing can need a lie: A fault, which needs it most, grows two thereby. React with caution my wayward son.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNoobington View Post
Lucky Charms, seems you need a little education. The flow of insecurity leads to your obvious unjustification.
Don't edit my posts.

You been hittin' the jar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago