Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times

Advertisements

Well you may as well scratch the northside off your list
as the university of chicago is on the southside

You may want to look in a suburb along a commuter line
What else are you looking for
what is more important to you
where you live
or the commute time
I also always always recommend visiting the area and get a feel for work and a home..
you will find traveling from one part of the city to another part is or can be hours
depending on the time of day.

the chicago area is rather large physically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The option of living nearer to Pilsen is cheaper and "muy authentico" for those with Spanish fluency, but you'll not have too many folks that are readily identifiable as a "young professional" even thoughnthey might be...
This blows my mind.

Here I am, living less than a city block from Pilsen, and for some bizarre reason I thought I'd been living around a bunch of yuppies. Turns out, my neighbors are actually corn on the cob vendors! How heavy is that?

And I guess my Spanish is whole lot better than I'd realized, because I can carry on lengthy conversations with them, too!

I realize that City-data.com probably rivals Burger King for number of Whoppers served on a daily basis.

But this is a Whopper of a Whopper. Thus, it is noteworthy.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
It "blows your mind" is a "Whopper of a Whopper" and "noteworthy" that someone characterizes Pilsen as largely a Mexican neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
This blows my mind.

Here I am, living less than a city block from Pilsen, and for some bizarre reason I thought I'd been living around a bunch of yuppies. Turns out, my neighbors are actually corn on the cob vendors! How heavy is that?

And I guess my Spanish is whole lot better than I'd realized, because I can carry on lengthy conversations with them, too!

I realize that City-data.com probably rivals Burger King for number of Whoppers served on a daily basis.

But this is a Whopper of a Whopper. Thus, it is noteworthy.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Can you park at work? I know someone that works @ U of C and lives in Bridgeport. He drives to work every day, but lives pretty close to US Cellular Field/ the red line, which gives him a safe quite neighborhood to live in, and access to the red line to go up north for nightlife when he desires.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM

14 posts, read 25,548 times
Ugh, don't live in Hyde Park. It's very isolated, and very, very boring. South loop is a much better option, as the 192 or Metra are quick and painless commutes. Meanwhile, if you live in hyde park and decide to "commute" when you want to go out, you're looking at horrible horrible trips.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
HYde Park is a very good neighborhood though you do have to go to the North Side many times for social life because of the relative paucity of bars, restaurants, theaters, clubs, etc in the neighborhood.

But do also consider S Loop, form 18th to Congress, north to south, and the Chicago River to the Lakefront, east to west. Its been overbuilt and there are some good housing deals to be found there in hgih rises. ITs generally far less dense than Hyde Park--many "towers in a park" type stuff--but enough of a city that you don't feel out in the 'burbs or something. Its a quick easy drive to U of C. There is a bit more retail and entertainment than Hyde Park, though still not a lot and generally a low-crime neighborhood. ITs busier and denser the closer to the Loop you get, less so in the South end of the neighborhood.

But when I vist S Loop I always feel that the nabe is still somehwat characterless, a bit of "this could be anywhere" . My friedns there tell me that its because the area is stll a relatively new middle-class nabe as opposed to more established ones in the city. Its adolescent and still in formation. Not overwhelmingly trendy, or established, or Yuppie, or Hipster, but with elements of all of these. I think its sort of interesting in a way. Its like looking at a teenager trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up., which can be fascinating, but not to everyone's taste.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,476 times
Thanks everyone. I will check on these neighborhoods during my next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago