Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times

Advertisements

Somebody obviously has a beef with Chicago is finding ways to bash it. I'd live in Chicago over London, Zurich, or any other european city with 7' wide roads. Screw that.

Munich should be on that list if we are talking public transit. You can go virtually ANYWHERE in that city by train. All the cars are electric and are never more than a minute late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Lists are generally stupid, and this one is exceptionally stupid. I wouldn't waste too much time thinking about a list that not only omits Chicago, but also NYC, London, SF, Rome, etc. However, Honolulu is apparently one of the best cities in the world by their criteria.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
The blog comparing airport/rail transit was amateurish. LGA doesn't have rail; JFK's is no better than blue/orange line. The argument for Newark was weak; its still $11 (or whatever the cost) and it only brings you to Manhattan.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe23 View Post
Uh yeah. We get that. The point of the blogger rings true though with many people here who live outside the city or in other countries. You may not care what other "non-Chicagoans" think and you may take the old "I only care what Chicagoans think" stance. But that is small minded. World cities DO care what outsiders think and push thier leaders to do a better job. The transit here, specifically the L, is in pretty poor shape. O'Hare is a cluster of an airport too. I cannot see how anyone says that it's not. It is indeed "sad"
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to point out the actual article used by the blogger was an extremely weak one to actually make a huge point of the matter.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
You can't compare the public transit of American cities with the rest of the world. That's like going to Pyongyang and wondering why the local farmers markets suck.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
A few months ago, this commentary appeared in the Financial Times. The author notes that (except for Tokyo) the cities that are high up in the many Best Places to Live lists are never the cities “whose ideas and values shape the world.”

FT.com / Columnists / Michael Skapinker - There is more to city life than convenience

The truly talented and creative care about opportunity, not bicycle paths and clean public transportation.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
Chicago - Top 29: Best Cities To Live In - 2009 Edition - AskMen.com

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM

77 posts, read 190,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe23 View Post
Uh yeah. We get that. The point of the blogger rings true though with many people here who live outside the city or in other countries. You may not care what other "non-Chicagoans" think and you may take the old "I only care what Chicagoans think" stance. But that is small minded. World cities DO care what outsiders think and push thier leaders to do a better job. The transit here, specifically the L, is in pretty poor shape. O'Hare is a cluster of an airport too. I cannot see how anyone says that it's not. It is indeed "sad"
I'm an outsider to Chicago, but I've been through O'Hare a few times. I won't call O'Hare a cluster of an airport, I call it BIG. And it should be big, considering the population of the metro area and the fact that it's a major international and domestic hub.

Be thankful that you have a transit system, specifically a train system like the L, that picks you up at the terminal. I'm from a much smaller city, and our local bus system (no trains) doesn't even serve the airport. If you fly here and don't have somebody here to pick you up, prepare to rent a car.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
There have been like 20 threads on this garbage already...

This thread would be a perfect match for this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...t-chicago.html

Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM

72 posts, read 261,474 times
Like New York (none of the airports have direct access), London (certainly no better than Blue Line), Pittsburgh (it's a BUS), Brussels, Vienna - umm, no.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this one - Vienna airport - have you actually been there? there is an express train which takes you into the city in 20 min. same goes for other cities.

I'm from Europe, so been there to multiple airports all over and well sorry but I have to say that the El is awfully slow - for that distance - it just takes too long.

Janine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago