Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM

400 posts, read 957,150 times

Advertisements

Better public transportation = Better neighborhood prospects in general.
Its not a 100 percent but hey, why buy somewhere where the general trend is down and there isnt good transit.

Look where gentrification is heaviest. By public transit in general.
EL/Metra stops best places to looks.

I think a very cool place is Forest Park, some of it is close to the freeway,
but thats transit and it has a metra stop. But hey, I dont really know it that well. But just make that a very large consideration, the way gas prices are going you would be crazy not too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
The future of Six Corners is going to hinge on who is elected Alderman of the 45th ward and if Six Corners is remapped out of the 45th ward in the every decade ward remap.

Without a revitalized Six Corners, Portage Park will be as good as gone.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
Irving Park all the way. I lived for a short period of time in Portage Park, and honestly it's very boring and not very good when it comes to ameneties. The only good thing Portage Park has IMO is that is offers a suburban style type of living in the city, without being too surburban. However, it is very very very boring. Irving Park offers the same type of lifestyle just it's a little pricier, better located, better architecture and a lot more to do. Portage Park IMO is very inconveniently located. It makes it difficult to live there without a car, unless you live right up against the Irving Park neighborhood border or Six Corners.

When I lived there, it took me a minimum 15 mintues to walk before I found a place I could eat. the problem is that Portage Park's ameneities are all pushed the eastern and western edges of the neighborhood with little in the central part of it.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
Yeah, I lived on Berenice a couple houses west of Cicero, pretty much right at Six Corners. I always had all the amenities needed to survive. Grocery store, drug stores, liquor stores, banks, only thing is the auto parts stores are a little bit of a drive. Although if you don't work on your own car, there's a couple repair shops, tire shops, dealerships (City VW, and a Ford one I believe), and oil change places around. It does suck that the L doesn't serve Portage Park, but the 80 bus or X80 (Irving Park) never gave me any issues. "Very boring" depends on what you do for entertainment. I've never been a club person, if I go out to drink, I prefer a smaller, quieter bar where I can actually sit down and don't have to push my way through 50 hipsters in order to get a refill on my drink. So, if you're into that kind of nightlife, you will find Portage Park boring.

I have nice memories of eating my $5 Chinese lunch on the bench in the park on a nice summer day.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM

The names of the restaurants I mentioned in my earlier post- the Chinese place is Leong's Chop Suey, and the taqueria on Irving & Central is "Taqueria Amigo Chino". Just in case anybody cared. :P

Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
The names of the restaurants I mentioned in my earlier post- the Chinese place is Leong's Chop Suey, and the taqueria on Irving & Central is "Taqueria Amigo Chino". Just in case anybody cared. :P
I have been to both. There used to be a couple of really hot young girls that worked at Amigo Chino.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
I would go immediately to Hats-Plus and purchase a Dobbs fedora. And then head over to the Patio Theater for its grand re-opening. I like Portage and Six Corners (though I hate the Marshall's there)

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I have been to both. There used to be a couple of really hot young girls that worked at Amigo Chino.
Ahh yeah, I saw the same thing the last time I was there. Now that I think about it, I haven't been in there since 2007. Time sure flies when you don't pay attention.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Now that I think about it, I haven't been in there since 2007.
It has been longer since I have been there. I am glad to hear they are keeping up with the tradition.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 PM

Well of course, what better way to get old men to come back and spend their money, when a good majority of the taquerias in the city serve almost the same food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago