Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which general area of the city do you live?
West Side 4 4.35%
South Side 9 9.78%
North Side 31 33.70%
Northwest Side 23 25.00%
Southwest Side 6 6.52%
Non Of The Above 19 20.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,364 times

Advertisements

I like that map, except like previously said Avondale and Logan Square should be NW side since they are west of the river. Perhaps we need a new description for the residents of West Town and Humbodlt Park....either upper west side or even better North West side, which is a different term than northwest side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM

70 posts, read 153,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
I like that map, except like previously said Avondale and Logan Square should be NW side since they are west of the river. Perhaps we need a new description for the residents of West Town and Humbodlt Park....either upper west side or even better North West side, which is a different term than northwest side.
If Avondale and Logan Square are northwest, that means the "northside" is tiny with only Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Northcenter. By far the smallest of all the "sides." We probably got a lot of people on this forum that are trying to figure out ways to tell others they don't live on the northside for fear of being labeled.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
If Avondale and Logan Square are northwest, that means the "northside" is tiny with only Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Northcenter. By far the smallest of all the "sides." We probably got a lot of people on this forum that are trying to figure out ways to tell others they don't live on the northside for fear of being labeled.
Uptown can still be called northside

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:

Well, if you take away adjectives such as "near" or "far", it's not really all that tiny.You've got everything from West Ridge (West Rogers Park) all the way down the Gold Coast, Old Town, etc. as the north side. People who live in the loop don't really say they live in "central" or "central side". They would identify as north side.

You are right as far as land mass of the regions though. The northside is MUCH smaller in proportion to the south side and west sides. Some people don't realize just how massive the south side is. However, all of your population density in Chicago comes from cramming everyone in that sliver between the river and lake.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Here's what doesn't make sense to me: Several of you are suggesting that Wicker Park is not and can not be the north side because it's too far west, right?
No, it is because it is too far south AND west. You have to be east of the river to be on the northside.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
If Ukranian Village is considered the north side and it encompasses Chicago Ave (800 North), shouldn't North Lawndale, which goes up to Cermak (2200 South) be considered the South side? After all, Cermak is more south than Chicago ave is north.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Ukranian village is not north

Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 PM

70 posts, read 153,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Ukranian village is not north
A lot of people consider Ukranian village near northwest. Actually, I think it's pretty accurate to describe much of west town in this manner.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
A lot of people consider Ukranian village near northwest .
If Ukranian Village, which is 800 North is NW, does that mean Lawndale, which is 2200 South, is southwest?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Here is how I look at it.

South Lawndale(commonly known as Little Village) is westside. Why? Because its adjacent to Pilsen(proper name is Lower Westside). And also, the community is adjacent to Cicero suburb, which is considered a western suburb by most.

Humboldt Park is westside. Why? Because if you travel further straight west, you'll eventually cross into Oak Park territory, which is considered a western suburb. If Oak Park is a western suburb, then in return that should place Humboldt Park as a western neighborhood right? Sounds logical enough. And also what I gathered from doing a quick google streetview, Oak Park borderlines North Ave. going north. Isn't the same true for Humboldt Park as well as Wicker Park and the rest of West Town?
I know if I travel north of North Ave. I am officially in Logan Square/Bucktown; wikipedia and some realtor sites place this as the true starting point of the Northwest or Northside.

I think the problem is the westside is mostly associated with black people and blight.
Suburbanites and most people I know view the Near Westside community(Little Italy, UIC, Greektown) as ''downtown". Wicker Park is commonly considered the northwest or northside, most likely for culture reasons. White people, starbucks, and Hispanics don't come to mind when the westside is brought up in discussions. Even on here, only Garfield Park, Lawndale, Austin, and sometimes West Humboldt Park are the only ones being brought up. And when a new posters drops by trying to get some info on Chicago, some of us chim in with "don't move on the westside, its nothing but poverty there''. Nevermind that Little Italy, Greektown, and University Village are technically westside too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago