Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,222 times

Advertisements

I'm caught in a tricky situation... Applied for UI in October 2010, was approved bc my employer had not responded in a timely manner. 5 days later, was sent a letter stating I had moved and submitted change of address form. (I never moved)
* I go to the IDES office and they find, this is an error, since the date of their mistake was too long ago, system cannot be accessed, new claim must be filed... (still no payment)
*12/2010 unemployment had sent a letter requesting a phone interview.
*Phone Interview held 1/11 resulting in denial of benefits! (employer lied about many things)
* I requested an appeal to the board, all paperwork was sent in timely manner. Notification was sent stating that there would be a determination within 45 days.
*3/2011 The unemployment appeal was denied and states in the letter "we feel it unnecessary to review statement or evidence" therefore, they never even read my claim! In this claim, I had presented evidence (signed paperwork from employer, and e-mails that pertained to my case) That was a slap in the face.
** In the midst of all of this, I called (several thousand times) to the office and asked...should I still certify while a case for appeal is pending? answer: yes mam, have a nice day! (end of conversation, click!!!!)
********log on to the ides website in january to get 1099-G form, site says...you can certify from XX/XX/XXXX etc... so I did!

My claim was denied!!! I still recieved benefits! is this normal? when does it end? I really need the income,single with child and I do not want to report!! IS THIS KHARMA'S WAY OF BLESSING ME?? HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 AM

483 posts, read 1,214,726 times
Unfortunately, if you were denied benefits and received them anyways, somebody is going to eventually find the slip up in the system, and you're going to be required to pay the money back. Not to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you didn't receive anything in the mail or any paperwork saying that the status of your claim has been changed, and you were going to be receiving benefits?

If I were you, I'd call them and find out what the deal is. Tell them that as far as you know, you were denied, but have still been receiving benefits, and see what they say. Unemployment has tiers, your first tier is up when you run out of the money in your account (seen when you file your claim online). If you choose to keep filing and receiving money, eventually it's going to come back and bite you in the ass.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,299,883 times
If you can, find a pro-bono lawyer through a law assistance group.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,222 times
Every piece of paperwork that I have recieved from IDES, I have in a folder...Originally yes, I was approved but, after the phone interview I was denied. I tried to certify for the remaining (1 week) before the denial date and the system would not allow me to certify. On accident, as I tried to obtain my 1099-G form, I clicked on the "claim weeks of benefits" button and it had a list of weeks that I needed to certify for. I thought maybe because I had filed an appeal, the system would re-allow my certifications but then, the money had come too! I never recieved any notice that my status would have been changed nor have I recieved any type of letter after the board appeal decision. If I am approaching the 26 week mark...what happens as far as extension goes? Is it automated or does someone look into the case and call you?

**The weird part is...all of the paperwork from unemployment say that the weeks denied for the claim are from september (just a two week period)!! There is no other dates on any of the paperwork!! Could I have been approved and not notified??I have never been on unemployment before and I don't know the process. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: