Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM

70 posts, read 153,351 times

Advertisements

What most people still fail to realize is that Garfield Ridge and Clearing have a huge city employee demographic, one of the largest in Chicago. These city employees live at the edge of Chicago. There is nowhere left to go, because they can't move to Darien/Orland/Willowbrook. Believe me they're not gonna break for some trendy up and coming north side area either. City employees will be here for a good long while. On my block alone, 4 out of 8 homes are city employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
I expect lots of city employees to be replaced by private employees fairly soon, especially with the budget issues caused by their benefit and pension packages.

Fewer public city employees will crush certain neighborhoods.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 182,442 times
I've always admired Garfield Ridge...tidy blocks, long-time owners, etc. I know it's undergoing changes (like much of the Chicago area), but it's always been one of those neighborhoods where private schools thrive with kids of city employees and blue-collar workers looking for a safe and pleasant place to live.

Archer Ave isn't the same Archer from even 10 years ago, but if I had to choose a neighborhood on the city's south side, it would be Garfield Ridge's western sections (and also the similar Mount Greenwood).

Oak Park has always been something else to me. I grew up in Berwyn and lived in other nearby towns, and I see Oak Park has many draws, but also many turn-offs. Amenities abound in Oak Park, and I like the youthful vibe found along Lake St. Yet housing prices, especially rentals, are high due to the fact it's a destination neighborhood for students, white-collar workers, and people moving up from the West Side.

Also, many people familiar with the area will have some story about Oak Park and crime (yes Virginia, it exists there and my own brother was even jumped by two thugs in broad daylight and beaten unconscious off Oak Park Ave). There's crime in Garfield Ridge, but it's definitely not as blatant as what has been occurring in Oak Park. It's not a difference about east vs west Oak Park, but just the crimes in general. I believe last week there was an alert on the news a detailing several women violently mugged in Oak Park (although they were out on foot after dark). I think it has to do with the fact the area boarders one of Chicago's toughest neighborhoods and there are plenty of easy targets, such as students and newly-arrived young professionals unaccustomed to the Chicago area in general.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
What most people still fail to realize is that Garfield Ridge and Clearing have a huge city employee demographic, one of the largest in Chicago.
Who has failed to realize that?

Quote:
These city employees live at the edge of Chicago. There is nowhere left to go, because they can't move to Darien/Orland/Willowbrook. Believe me they're not gonna break for some trendy up and coming north side area either. City employees will be here for a good long while. On my block alone, 4 out of 8 homes are city employees.
They have plenty of other options besides "some trendy up and coming north side area." And if the city ever lifts the residency requirement, I all but guarantee your neighborhood will be the first to empty out.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Garage break-ins are not really a safety thing except when they escalate into confrontation. What some of the minor property crime may, however, be indicative of is the sort of thing that Guilinani fought against in NYC -- police force that lets the little things slide ends up with major crimes too.

The responsiveness of police to the property crimes and how supportive the community is of the police efforts, coupled with courts that do not condone repeated criminal behavior no matter how "minor" are bing factors in not allowing property crimes to lead to reduced levels of safety.

Driving around is one way to assess whether things are moving in a direction that is worrisome, so too is it worth the effort to attend meetings of the local government and police. If folks express support for enforcement of the laws vs expressions that amount to forgiveness for lawlessness it says a great deal about the naivete of the politically correct...
Though I am somewhat Liberal in my views, you make a good point... "give an inch, and they take a mile."

Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM

70 posts, read 153,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Who has failed to realize that?

They have plenty of other options besides "some trendy up and coming north side area." And if the city ever lifts the residency requirement, I all but guarantee your neighborhood will be the first to empty out.

Those on this forum that seem to insist that Garfield Ridge/Clearing is Back of the Yards in 5-10 years.

I agree, but so will northwest side neighborhoods like Dunning, Norwood Park etc. They have similar demographics. What other options on the south side? Bridgeport. Not gonna happen too urban, expensive. Beverly. Large homes that are pricey, for those that have money. Mount Greenwood. Last neighborhood with similar type of housing stock as Clear-Ridge, but not enough housing for all the south side city employees! The south siders going northwest? Not gonna happen. People been here 3 generations.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They have plenty of other options besides "some trendy up and coming north side area."
Like what neighborhoods?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Like what neighborhoods?
That depends one what the city worker in question wants or needs. Obviously, Sauganash, Norwood, Jeff park come to mind.

But for cheap(er) housing, Clearing/ Garfield Ridge is it. And I suspect the low cost is the reason the hispanics have taken up residence there. Brian is right that Beverly tends to be on the expensive side, as are a lot of the NW side neighborhoods.

Then again, I'm sure you could find something reasonably priced in other outer neighborhoods.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Those on this forum that seem to insist that Garfield Ridge/Clearing is Back of the Yards in 5-10 years.

I agree, but so will northwest side neighborhoods like...Norwood Park... They have similar demographics.
Erm no.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919;186H86154

I agree, but so will northwest side neighborhoods like Dunning, Norwood Park etc. They have similar demographics.
Really? Not even in the same ballpark with Norwood Park and still not close with Dunning.
The main census tract of Norwood Park is 85% white, 0% Black, 10% Hispanic, and 4% Asian
Whites are down 7% Hispanics are up 75%

Dunning Harlem/Addison 73% white, 1% Black, 21% Hispanic
Whites are down 15% Hispanics are up 111%

Clearing Austin/63rd 53% white, 1% Black, 45% Hispanic, and 1% Asian
Whites are down 30% since 2000 and Hispanics are up 163%

Garfield Ridge Austin/55th 62% white and 36% Hispanic.
Whites are down 27% since 2000 and Hispanics are up 195%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago