Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 13,059 times

Advertisements

Any feedback on what I believe is considered Garfield Ridge within 3 blocks east of Kinzie Elementary? Also considering Oak Park within three blocks of Taylor park/William Hatch Elementary?

Mid thirties couple with two elementary school kids, active lifestyle. Garfield Ridge interactive map actually looks "nicer" but I have read so many great things about Oak Park.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,882,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Spouse View Post
Any feedback on what I believe is considered Garfield Ridge within 3 blocks east of Kinzie Elementary? Also considering Oak Park within three blocks of Taylor park/William Hatch Elementary?

Mid thirties couple with two elementary school kids, active lifestyle. Garfield Ridge interactive map actually looks "nicer" but I have read so many great things about Oak Park.
Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming you realize that Oak Park is not part of the city of Chicago but a separate municipality?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,221,634 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I'd pick Oak Park, hands down. Garfield Ridge and Clearing are going to turn soon. It's already in motion.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Your other posts seem to suggest you are weighing a relo to the Chicago area or Tennesse..

It is very hard to imagine what would make Garfield Ridge "look better" on any kind of interactive map compared to Oak Park.

I would caution that buying a low priced home in either Oak Park or Garfield Ridge would be rather risky.
Renting in an area with more suburban amenities might be a wiser choice for some one unfamiliar with the region.

Where will new job be located?

What sort of commute options do you desire?

Does job require residency in Chicago?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I'm assuming you realize that Oak Park is not part of the city of Chicago but a separate municipality?
Yes, I do realize that from looking at the maps, addresses, schools, etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Your other posts seem to suggest you are weighing a relo to the Chicago area or Tennesse..

The department I work for within my company is actually closing and there a few choices of relocation. The Tennessee posts you are referring to actually belong to the actual "trailing_spouse" who is the spouse of a co worker. I am not interested in relocating south.

It is very hard to imagine what would make Garfield Ridge "look better" on any kind of interactive map compared to Oak Park.
Google maps interactive.

I would caution that buying a low priced home in either Oak Park or Garfield Ridge would be rather risky.
Never mentioned price. Low or high.

Renting in an area with more suburban amenities might be a wiser choice for some one unfamiliar with the region.
Amenities are great. My children adapting to a good school and area is what is most important.
Where will new job be located?
Downtown near Grant Park.

What sort of commute options do you desire? Prefer AROUND an hour or less.

Does job require residency in Chicago?
No. That is why we were looking at the outskirts & surrounding areas.

thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I think you would like Oak Park much more, considering you mentioned "active lifestyle."

Oak Park is truly wonderful. While I hate to sound like some "smug, arrogant liberal" but it is among the most progressive communities in the Chicagoland area. It has a long history of racial integration, the vibe is a bit "granola." Park has great historic charm, beautiful neighborhoods, many great places to walk to, and good schools. The main downsize, Austin Ave., to the east is a major dividing line between healthy, vibrant community, and a blighted community struggling with poverty and crime. Also, nearby Forest Park and River Forest are great too.

Garfield Ridge is not "bad". But honestly the vibe there is not one I really care for. Its mostly long-time residents, a lot of third generation Polish-Americans and Irish Americans who have some of the abrasive, borderline racist attitudes that parts of south Chicagoland are known for. Old style white flight is alive in that area, with many residents moving to further out suburbs such as Orland and Tinley Park. I would go so far as to say it might very well be the polar opposite of Oak Park.

I realize this is a generalization, I know, and you can find people of all attitudes anywhere, but the vibe is evry noticeable.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,773,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

What do you consider a "low priced home", and how is it risky? Not everyone can afford the larger price tags in OP.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
The risk for some one relocating from outside the region is much greater than some one who has had time to explore the changes that one sees from block-to-block, school boundary, and even patterns of development from various stores and community organizations.

It is all but impossible to get enough detail on those kinds of things from afar.

The reality is that there some parts of Oak Park where a saavy individual is unlikely to be taking much risk at all, and other parts where changes that some might a positive could greatly reduce the value of home. In such situations it makes far more sense to rent.

I suppose the same sort of admonishment might apply to other low priced homes even in more desirable suburbs, but in general the more desirable suburbs are far less likely to have issues with safety or school attendance areas.

This is really not about the individual affordabilty of any one house, but the broader based trends that make purchasing in some towns a much less risky move.

If some one from outside the area has their heart set on buying ASAP my recommendation is to find the best priced home in the most expensive suburb. In such cases any negatives ought to be very obvious -- like a house that backs up to a commercial zone or something, and the odds of some "redevlopment" effort, crime pocket or school boundary problem are less likely to result in shifts in value harming your investment...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM

70 posts, read 152,617 times
Garfield Ridge/Clearing is a good place to live. The neighborhood has a large hispanic population and a large immigrant polish population. There is a contigent of "old school" (1950's style) 3rd and 4th generation south siders that may have some racist attitudes. But don't think that this neighborhood is some segregrated racist enclave that only whites live in. This is evident by the large middle class hispanic population. Funny...but the most segregated and white areas of the chicagoland area are probably the extremely affluent north shore. The southwest side and south suburbs have lots of diversity compared to those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago