Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What size does it feel like
Second largest 143 63.56%
Third largerst 58 25.78%
Fourth largest 24 10.67%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Just I as was leaving the post, you guys brought me back in. Chicago doesn't feel like a true urban center since its downtown is a lackluster where people just go and work and then take off! Not happy with its mediocre downtown. Chicago feels smaller than LA and NY. It's not any better than San Jose since San Jose has a nice downtown and Santana Row(it acts like a European Michigan Ave shopping district). I even prefer Boston and LA over Chicago. It doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to Chicagoans. They just want a comfortable city with different neighborhoods with cool people. Most Chicagoans are happy with the way it is. I still like that Gino's pizza even though I make better deep dish myself with Pillsbury dough, lots of Paul Newman tomato/basil souce and slices of cheese on the bottom.
When you've made the same point 8,371 times and you haven't convinced anyone yet, it's time to a) consider that your opinion is an outlier, and b) GTFO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
and San Jose.
I don't get it.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suppose much depends on what sort of "range" you have in Chicago and the other cities. I have spent some time in Philly and it is tiny -- literally by the time you get as far from downtown as maybe Linclon Park you are into the "mainline" suburbs, and by the time you drive as far as maybe Evanston you are in New Jersey....

With DC it is as bad -- outside of the core of the Federal Government there are very few "real" spots inside the District. The area around Georgetown U is very compact and rapidly falls off. The crossover to suburban Maryland or Virginia is pretty dramatic. Affleunt estate sized parcels dot the Potomic. The greater Metro area spreads out pretty quick, and the relationship between Dulles and Reagan National is not dissimilar between Midway and OHare, with many of the suburban office parks like those along 294 being similar to the Dulles area...

LA is kinda weird , as the real old core of the part of town where the "Dragnet" era police headquarters is located is more like a real small old midwestern town (think Clevland) than Chicago, but they have pockets of moderately recognizanle high rises spread out over an area that is more like the stretch of the burbs from like Schuamburg to Naperville or Oak Brook. Odd mix of overly wide surface streets and ridiculosly over built freeways connect in dozens of ways but still "inside" LA... There are pockets of horrendously neglected older homes and apartments too. Drive inland and you get to burbs (Valley girl) or drive to Pasadena for sections that have a feel maybe a bit like the desirable areas of the north Shore...
You described LA to a tee. well said -

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Just I as was leaving the post, you guys brought me back in. Chicago doesn't feel like a true urban center since its downtown is a lackluster where people just go and work and then take off! Not happy with its mediocre downtown. Chicago feels smaller than LA and NY. It's not any better than San Jose since San Jose has a nice downtown and Santana Row(it acts like a European Michigan Ave shopping district). I even prefer Boston and LA over Chicago. It doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to Chicagoans. They just want a comfortable city with different neighborhoods with cool people. Most Chicagoans are happy with the way it is. I still like that Gino's pizza even though I make better deep dish myself with Pillsbury dough, lots of Paul Newman tomato/basil souce and slices of cheese on the bottom.
First off you obviously have little to no knowledge of Chicago. Saying Chicago doesnt' feel like an urban center and that people just work and leave is a pretty far off.

Secondly, by Ginos, I'm assuming you mean East. It's not really that great of pizza by Chicago standards.

ps. Stop trolling.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

I see your point (where I am not sure but I see it)

Downtown San Jose | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brisan/4361875880/ - broken link)

chicago_skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsingleton/2634336315/ - broken link)

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Chicago feels like the second largest city - mostly because it has all of the traditional urban characteristics:

1 - Skyscrapers. Chicago is obviously second to NYC, but has twice as many highrises as the next closest city (LA).
2 - Public Transit. Chicago is one of the few cities to have an old school heavy rail system, and once again it is second only to NYC in just about every measurement (ridership, miles of track, etc.). You can easily live without a car in much of Chicago.
3 - Population density. This basically follows having a comprehensive transit system, and Chicago is in the same league as the other US cities with transit (San Fran, Boston, etc.).

Those are the main criteria that I see for a city "feeling" big, or even being considered an urban city really.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
It depends on how one judges a "city."

If you judge or care mostly about a cities center of downtown, then yes Chicago might still feel like the second city.

However, if what you care about, or judge a city is, is all about the size of the metropolitan region, and the number of people and things to do or see, then Chicago might feel like a distant third, behing NY, LA, with number 4, 5, and 6th largest metro area, coming up right behind Chicago.

It all depends on your perception of urban space. Many people, especially many on this board feel like the downtown is more important than the region.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

If you judge or care mostly about a cities center of downtown, then yes Chicago might still feel like the second city.

However, if what you care about, or judge a city is, is all about the size of the metropolitan region, and the number of people and things to do or see, then Chicago might feel like a distant third, behing NY, LA, with number 4, 5, and 6th largest metro area, coming up right behind Chicago.

It all depends on your perception of urban space. Many people, especially many on this board feel like the downtown is more important than the region.
I agree with this.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

That's a very reasonable assessment. I am one of those posters who judges my "feel" for the city based on the urban core...because that is the most tangible and visible measure of size, if we're talking about the "feel" of the city. Chicago without a doubt "feels" like the second largest city based on that factor.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Ah yes, how we pine to be a "real" city. If only we had a few jugglers...

Seems to me like San Jose has at least one clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago