Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:08 PM

9 posts, read 15,022 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a job for a while, but no one will hire me. I am shy but I always come to interviews prepared and well dressed, and send thank you notes afterward. I can NOT find a job. I am 19 years old, high school graduate, college student, who has only had one job.

I am tired of being denied everywhere, even McDonalds. I went to the Army recruiter today to talk about joining. I got a 67 on the ASVAB test. I don't know what I want to be in the army, but I was thinking maybe a ranger or a UAV pilot. But if the war is almost over, is there a point? Because I would want to be in combat if I join the Army.

Sorry for putting this here but I am also looking for advice in case I don't join the Army, which is why it's not in the military section.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerAKM View Post
But if the war is almost over, is there a point?
Which war is almost over? I certainly wouldn't worry about that.

That said, the armed services takes a particular kind of person, and if you're not that person you just signed a contract to be miserable. I know folks from both sides of that issue.

Don't join the army just because you can't find another job -- live on student loans if you have to.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
Agreed, no one ever made it as a Ranger, etc. just because they couldn't find a McDonald's job. You must do some soul searching and figure out where you are headed. You are young and immerse yourself into school if that's where you want to be. At 19 you're not going to find your life long job. But getting an education can get you a career. The military can be a great route to go for a lot of people, just realize there is no undoing the direction that you pick.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM

132 posts, read 278,998 times
to be a Ranger in the U.S. Army is a major under taking in life. It is not something that you say oh WTH I can't get a job so I'll be a ranger, that will lead you to a washout on day one. You might think you want to join the rangers, but i would suggest some deep down soul searching to see if this is something that you really want to do. If you do decide to GO ARMY then good luck R.I.P. is a PITA.
edited for a spelling error

Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Will a 67 even get you anywhere near qualifying for Ranger school let alone Pilot training? And whatever your ASVAB, forget Pilot training until you have a college degree.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:18 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerAKM View Post
I have been looking for a job for a while, but no one will hire me. I am shy but I always come to interviews prepared and well dressed, and send thank you notes afterward. I can NOT find a job. I am 19 years old, high school graduate, college student, who has only had one job.

I am tired of being denied everywhere, even McDonalds. I went to the Army recruiter today to talk about joining. I got a 67 on the ASVAB test. I don't know what I want to be in the army, but I was thinking maybe a ranger or a UAV pilot. But if the war is almost over, is there a point? Because I would want to be in combat if I join the Army.

Sorry for putting this here but I am also looking for advice in case I don't join the Army, which is why it's not in the military section.
If you are considering the Army, my advise is the research and try to understand America's foreign policy and see if you actually believe in what you will be fighting for... not just U.S.A., or with the ideology that you will somehow be protecting people at home, bring freedom to a foreign nation, but think about the impact of war on those countries, the current and recent past administrations motivations (yes, Bush's war in Iraq), corporate America's motivations etc... then at least you will know what and who you are fighting for if it ever comes a time to pull the trigger.

If you have a choice between college and Army, education always wins out in my book.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Which war is almost over? I certainly wouldn't worry about that.
Lol, +1. Not only are the wars no where near over... there are no shortages to resources that the US wants, plus think of all the arms manufacturing jobs that will be lost, I doubt the US will let that happen. If the US stopped going to war (god forbid) the military maybe forced to stop using the majority of our hard earned tax dollars to build yet more nukes and weapons, and the government may actually have to put tax money into education... I doubt the US will ever let that happen... War is way more important than education in the US.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 AM

278 posts, read 636,291 times
Stay in college man. Finish it out. You can always join the army after college, and if you have a degree from college you'll be able to join as an officer. Then you'll be making more money in the military AND have a degree for when you're done with the army. Or maybe you'll decide not to join after all because once you have your degree different job opportunities will present themselves. But finish up school. You'll regret it if you don't. I highly doubt you'll regret NOT joining the army at 19. Look at it this way: you'll pretty much always be able to join the army. But once people put off their education, they rarely come back to it.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,367 times
Welcome to 19.
These questions you have are completely normal.

Military is a good idea if you have no idea what to do or lack motivation.
If you expect to get a good job I'd suggest college or a trade school.

There are plenty of jobs out there if you are just looking for a job. Contact landscaping firms as they are gearing up. It's hard work but it is always in demand.

Or take a job as a dishwasher at a restaurant. Those are not posted, just walk into places you would like to work and tell ask them if they need a dishwasher or help in the kitchen. Best time to do this is around 3 to 4.
The idea is to walk in at a time when someone has quit or called in sick. It's 100% hit or miss, but with the turnover in the food service you will sooner or later hit.

Don't wear a suit. Just be clean and eager to work.

Most good chefs I know started off at the bottom of the ladder.

Another good job is contruction. Just drop by the construction office FIRST THING IN THE MORNING and ask. Same as the above. If you are decent and show up on time they will hire you. You can make a very good living in construction.

Welcome to the job market, things will get better, promise.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times
Finish. College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: