Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why Chicago has such a shabby looking taxi fleet.

I drive a taxi in Boston, and we're a much better lookin' cab city with many hybrids in the past 2-3 years. Even the non-hybrids look better and newer than any of your cabs. I observed the cabs in a way a non-cabbie wouldn't while visiting for 36 hours last weekend.

It was my first visit since my first one for a few days in April 1994. I enjoyed the city, but the size is so overwhelming...and I, as a cabbie, did find the streets confusing. But I intentionally drove without a map, so confusion was to be expected.

I knew that your cabs are older, non-hybrids, just by watching the network news reports whenever a live shot is done from the Chicago River area. I'll watch for the types of taxis in the background, just out of curiosity.

Is there any movement to upgrade the fleet? In Boston & NYC, a movement started a couple of years ago to require all cabs to be hybrid by a certain year. But the economy and the huge expense for private owners to upgrade shelved the mandate for now (I think). Yet Boston sees more and more hybrids every month

Sure, we charge $2.80/mile vs. $1.80 in Chicago, so the ride should be nicer; however, we charge the same whether 1 or 4 riders whereas Chicago charges $1 extra for the first passenger and $0.50 for each one after. I think I read the price posting right when I saw it at the airport cabstand. Not sure if passengers under 12 or so are not charged...whatever...

Are the rides reasonably comfy sans suspension problems or gasoline smells? All the cabs must take credit cards? All non-smoking?

Chicago, a world-class convention city, deserves better cabs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

I observed the cabs in a way a non-cabbie wouldn't while visiting for 36 hours last weekend.
I am sure in the 36 hours you were here you were able to check out every single taxi company in Chicago and independent cab in Chicago.

Whatever bro.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You live in a city whose street layout looks like a bowl of spaghetti and you call our near-perfect street grid confusing? Sheesh. Once you learn what street occupies what grid number (for instance, Ashland = 1600W, Pershing = 3900S), you can drive straight to an address in a part of town you've never been before without even consulting a map.

All cabs (except independents) are required to take credit cards, though many cabbies will give you a hard time about it. All cabs are non-smoking, though you can tell some cabbies don't exactly observe that rule when they're not carrying fares.

While Chicago is a convention city, it's also a working city. This isn't a playground for tourists. If tourists want to come and enjoy what we have to offer, that's great. But Chicago is first and foremost for the benefit of Chicagoans. That means the taxi fleet will have cars that are approaching the end of their useful life cycle because we consider it wasteful to pull them out of service before it's necessary to do so. We're not so vain that our cab fleet has to look like they all just rolled off the showroom floor. We're a lot more concerned that the cab gets us to our destination with minimal drama than we are about any scuffs or dents on the finish. Maybe that's how our cabs can afford to charge a dollar less per mile.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
hmm, I grew up in Boston and my dad has driven a cab for decades, and I don't think consider cabs here shabby at all. a lot of the cabs I've been in have small TVs in the back (mostly talking about tourist spots) and credit card machines in the back so passengers can swipe their own cards (yes, all cabs must take cards, no matter how much the driver protests). I think Chicago has more mini van cabs (or maybe they're more noticeable in my neck of the woods), and I like how I can order a cab via online. and yes, the rides are comfy and doesn't reek of gasoline

from the second I set foot in Chicago, I loved how the streets were laid out. I've only gotten lost here once, and that was only because I made the gross assumption that Grand went straight N-S (a quick look at a map would have shown me that it was a diagonal street). of course I've never gotten lost in Boston (well, I do have a bit of an issue getting around Southie on foot, but mostly because I rarely have), but I can see how people could. for a newbie, navigating Chicago is easier than navigating Boston.

I think having hybrids here would be great, esp. considering how high gas prices are (I worry cab fares may rise if gas tops $5), but I don't think Chicago suffers b/c it lacks hybrid cabs. when the day comes, the city will make the switch. until then, I'm okay w/ the cabs here

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
I see hybrid cabs around all the time. That being said Boston is significantly smaller than Chicago. So 1000 hybrid cabs in Boston will stand out a lot more than 1000 in Chicago.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
I enjoyed the city, but the size is so overwhelming...and I, as a cabbie, did find the streets confusing. But I intentionally drove without a map, so confusion was to be expected.
You would not get a tip from me.
And depending upon how "confused" you were, I might report you. especially if you were intentionally driving without a map.
Do it enough times and you might not stay a cabbie

As a cabby I expect you to know the area you are driving in. A lot more than I expect a new cab.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:

I drive a taxi in Boston, and we're a much better lookin' cab city with many hybrids in the past 2-3 years. Even the non-hybrids look better and newer than any of your cabs. I observed the cabs in a way a non-cabbie wouldn't while visiting for 36 hours last weekend.

It was my first visit since my first one for a few days in April 1994. I enjoyed the city, but the size is so overwhelming...and I, as a cabbie, did find the streets confusing. But I intentionally drove without a map, so confusion was to be expected.

I knew that your cabs are older, non-hybrids, just by watching the network news reports whenever a live shot is done from the Chicago River area. I'll watch for the types of taxis in the background, just out of curiosity.

Is there any movement to upgrade the fleet? In Boston & NYC, a movement started a couple of years ago to require all cabs to be hybrid by a certain year. But the economy and the huge expense for private owners to upgrade shelved the mandate for now (I think). Yet Boston sees more and more hybrids every month

Sure, we charge $2.80/mile vs. $1.80 in Chicago, so the ride should be nicer; however, we charge the same whether 1 or 4 riders whereas Chicago charges $1 extra for the first passenger and $0.50 for each one after. I think I read the price posting right when I saw it at the airport cabstand. Not sure if passengers under 12 or so are not charged...whatever...

Are the rides reasonably comfy sans suspension problems or gasoline smells? All the cabs must take credit cards? All non-smoking?

Chicago, a world-class convention city, deserves better cabs!
I was in Chicago this past weekend, and I took a cab, as I am wont to do while in town. It's just amazing how cheap they are compared to Boston, and how far your dollar "travels".

Much better cabs in Boston? Not a chance, especially when dealing with the cabbies in Boston who take corners on two wheels while talking on their cell phones.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM

31 posts, read 45,535 times
Plus Chicago has Cash Cab! Beat that BOSTON

Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Is there any movement to upgrade the fleet? In Boston & NYC, a movement started a couple of years ago to require all cabs to be hybrid by a certain year. But the economy and the huge expense for private owners to upgrade shelved the mandate for now (I think).
Sure, we charge $2.80/mile vs. $1.80 in Chicago,
I use cabs all the time in Chicago, but I didn't ride in cabs when I was in Boston because I thought they were a lousy value. So go ahead and enjoy your nicer cab with fewer fares. :-)

There are hybrids in Chicago, and they are added slowly over time. How can you give Boston and New York credit for making big, self-aggrandizing announcements about hybrids when they backed off?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
It's not my personal car. if it safely gets me from point A to point B I really don't care how nice the car is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago