Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,889 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of everyone's comments on the safety concerns of living in Rogers Park. My wife and I recently went house/condo hunting through North Chicago. We really liked Rogers Park, but I know looks can be deceiving. We're considering a property on the 1400 block of Jonquil Terrace (1/2 west of Sheridan). The street appears to be fairly new condo conversions, and there were not a lot of red flags when we looked. But we noticed it gets progressively worse the further west you head. My job is in Evanston, and my wife will most likely be working downtown.

Are there any particular concerns about this area? How is the Jarvis el stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:06 PM

202 posts, read 270,769 times
The Jarvis el stop was sketchy when it was my el stop in the late 90s, early 2000s (although I chose it over the Morse stop, nearly invariably, as I lived halfway in between the two). I also had to make evening van runs, for my job, to drop school children off at their homes on Jonquil and Juneway Terraces following tutoring sessions, and there was noticeably questionable activity going on in the open in that area at that time. But things change, and there is FAR more property development going on in that corner of Rogers Park as a whole since I was living and working there. Still, regardless of block to block spottiness, as far as crime goes, I always enjoyed living in Rogers Park. I was simply a renter, though...I would spend a lot of time getting a feel for the neighborhood and what my impressions were before I bought.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 PM

43 posts, read 74,086 times
jonquil terrace is part of NOH,
the North of Howard area of Rogers Park
look up the North of Howard 24/7 blog
just google North of Howard blog,

its a nice location,
BUT there are tons of section 8 lowincome housing in that specific area of Rogers Park,
and alot of gang activity and violence,
this will change,
only time will tell how fast
have you driven down howard?
at night?
i like howard, but the only place i frequent there is lost eras
antique store which is awesome,
i live just off or morse,
which is less dangerous than howard but still sketchy,

Rogers Park is really weird,
but it continuing to improve,
you probably wont be able to afford that condo
when the neigborhood is fine and dandy and shiny happy people,
thats why I bought here a couple years ago,

To wait until everyone from burbs finds it safe
or cool like lakeview, wickerpark or lincoln park
and then oops non affordable.

HOWEVER you are just off of sheridan
and I know that block, its very very pretty,
and pretty nice,
Its affordable and a bargain for a reason
though, because mr and mrs risk avoidance would never dream of living there,
but mr and mrs risk aware would,
mr and mrs risk oblivious have been living there since the seventies

Rogers Park also has the best beach in shytown,
take pratt all the way to the lake and then walk up north,
youll see how amazing it is.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I have a pretty decent tolerance for living in less-than-perfect urban settings. That part of Rogers Park pushes my threshold to the point that I'd have to find a very compelling reason to live there, such as extremely cheap rent, or a brand new spacious luxurious condo for a LOT less than what developers are asking for them up there. And even then, I'd never ask my wife to live in that part of RP.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 PM

43 posts, read 74,086 times
I would then put drover as risk averse.
as the majority of posters are here, which hey, its okay,

Im risk aware,
and then there is risk oblivious, those are the people moving into east garfield park or austin right now.

i wish i could be risk oblivious but i dont have super powers,
NOH yeah its tough,
depends on the deal, you are very very close to the lake there,
does everyone here really believe that a bad area near the lake will persist in perpetuity?
it declined from the mid eighties to the mid ninties
and since has stablized, and now every so slowly is changing,
Look at the highrise going up on howard by clark,
and the new condo conversion across the street.

sweat equity means you either you sweat it out fixing up the place
and/or sweating it out while the neigborhood improves.

you would live further south in RP drover?
just wondering.....

Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 PM

86 posts, read 698,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBells View Post
I've read a lot of everyone's comments on the safety concerns of living in Rogers Park. My wife and I recently went house/condo hunting through North Chicago. We really liked Rogers Park, but I know looks can be deceiving. We're considering a property on the 1400 block of Jonquil Terrace (1/2 west of Sheridan). The street appears to be fairly new condo conversions, and there were not a lot of red flags when we looked. But we noticed it gets progressively worse the further west you head. My job is in Evanston, and my wife will most likely be working downtown.

Are there any particular concerns about this area? How is the Jarvis el stop?

When I lived in Rogers Park most of my neighbors considered the Jonquil Terrace area one of the worst North side neighborhoods. Jarvis el stop is a step up from Jonquil Terrace.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 26,754 times
i think its kinda dangerous there and if you drive down howard its really rough there lots of gangs i used to live on birchwood and damen ave and it waz alittle scary luckily i moved

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 34,300 times
I imagine when the time comes and I do get married,

Mrs. Whoever, will, more than likely, be Mrs. 'Risk Aware'

...seeing as how she'll be putting up with me...for a very long time.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,742 times
Default Rogers Park

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are new in town and are looking at a rental house in Rogers Park--Wallen and Ravenswood. I know Rogers Park is block-to-block in terms of crime. Anyone know what this area is like?

Thanks for any help folks can offer.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenbacker77 View Post
Hi Folks,

My wife and I are new in town and are looking at a rental house in Rogers Park--Wallen and Ravenswood. I know Rogers Park is block-to-block in terms of crime. Anyone know what this area is like?

Thanks for any help folks can offer.
I ride my bike through there from time to time and have not had any issues at all. Just east of there are alot of college kids. But as far as violent crime goes I think you're fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago