Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,021 times

Advertisements

Hi All...this is my first post on here...so I hope I give you all enough info to help me out..

I will be attending UIC in the fall for graduate school and need some advice on where to live. For a little background... I was born and raised in Washington DC, and I currently go to school (undergrad) at VCU in Richmond, VA...so when it comes to living in a diverse, highly cultured area, I'm all for it ...in general, I'm used to living in the city...however, because I'm moving 9-10hrs from home and by myself...I definitely need the neighborhood where I live to be safe

I'm looking for a reasonably priced one bedroom apartment (again, unfortunately I don't know anyone in Chicago...so for the first year or semester I've decided to opt out of on campus housing...I haven't lived on campus since I was a freshman...and the grad housing options didn't sound too pleasing...but maybe I'll pick up a roommate down the line or something..) Anyway, proximity wise, I don't have to be in walking distance to UIC (I've heard those 1 bedroom apartments are like $1,200+), but I would need a place close to the blue line so I can be dropped off right on campus. Price wise...I'm looking to spend up to $950...maybe $1,000...although I'm really not trying to go too far into the 1000s...but from reading other forums, I just might have to...???

What are some fun, safe neighborhoods that are close to the blue line and are in my price range?

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,142 times
The area around UIC has housing that is as cheap or cheaper than any of the Blue Line neighborhoods that a newbie to Chicago should consider living in.

So you are going to end up paying a premium for the luxury of adding a 45 minute commute between you and school (yes, its 45 minutes door to door from Wicker Park or Logan Square if you absolutely have to be on time, which you do if its a class).

Not sure why anyone would want to do that, but the good news is your UPass is built into your fees, meaning the train ride costs you nothing.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
The area around UIC has housing that is as cheap or cheaper than any of the Blue Line neighborhoods that a newbie to Chicago should consider living in.
I don't see how the area around UIC is cheaper than any neighborhood north of the Damen stop. Nor do I see any reason a new comer to Chicago should not consider living say north of Chicago Ave.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Unless you have terrible luck and barely miss a train everyday, there's no way that it's 45 minutes from the Damen blue line stop to UIC's campus. Depending on your proximity to the Damen stop, obviously your commute could go up by a few minutes. You can also just take the Ashland bus down. Alternatively it's a very easy bike ride.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Unless you have terrible luck and barely miss a train everyday, there's no way that it's 45 minutes from the Damen blue line stop to UIC's campus. Depending on your proximity to the Damen stop, obviously your commute could go up by a few minutes. You can also just take the Ashland bus down. Alternatively it's a very easy bike ride.
Getting to class is not the same thing as getting to an office that has flex time. You have to give yourself extra time because trains break down, get delayed, and being late is not an option.

FYI, I said door to door, and yes, it is 45 minutes door to door from Wicker Park, even if you are within a block of the Damen stop, assuming you don't want to be late to class every time the trains get delayed. Compared to 10 minutes door to door from Pilsen/UVillage/Taylor street by bicycle with zero uncertainty because the CTA is not involved.

And what do you do with the extra 15 minutes when the train ride is quick? Not really enough time to even get a cup of coffee. Its awkward as hell, and is one of the main reasons you find a lot more UIC students in Pilsen than in Logan Square.

When I was commuting to UIC from the North Side, my solution was to target an arrival 1 hour ahead of my first class, and set up office in the cafeteria. That worked, but wasn't great. However, the areas around UIC were so awful back then (late 70's) that I was willing to put up with it. The areas around UIC nowdays are perfectly fine.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM

439 posts, read 953,999 times
Most of the grad students I went to school with at UIC lived on the northwest side. Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc. Very few actually lived right by the campus. Of course a lot of these people already lived in Chicago so that probably had something to do with it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I don't see how the area around UIC is cheaper than any neighborhood north of the Damen stop. Nor do I see any reason a new comer to Chicago should not consider living say north of Chicago Ave.
An area of Logan Square comparatively safe to Taylor Street will cost the same or more.

An area of Logan Square comparatively safe to Pilsen will also cost the same or more.

There is no compelling price advantage to overcome the disadvantage of the commute, which is why you'll find more UIC students in Taylor Street/UVillage/Pilsen than Bucktown/WP/Logan Square.

When I was a landlord in Logan Square, I actually tried to get UIC students. I failed miserably. For the above mentioned reasons.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Most of the grad students I went to school with at UIC lived on the northwest side. Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc. Very few actually lived right by the campus. Of course a lot of these people already lived in Chicago so that probably had something to do with it.
You may be right about your friends, but that does not change the fact that you knowing a few UIC people there does not mean that there are more UIC people living in Logan Square/Wicker Park/Bucktown than Taylor Street/UVillage/Pilsen, nor does it change the fact that any such implication is a logical Double Whopper with Cheese.

FWIW, I've got a hundred dollar bill says you can find UIC grad students in Schaumburg, and I would not be surprised if the center of gravity of all UIC students at 3:00 AM falls in Ukranian Village. So what?

The points I made are:

1. The logistics of commuting to UIC sucks.
2. There is no logical reason to do it.

Do you have a response to either of those?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
All potential personal biases aside, I would also chose to live near campus, especially given that the prices are pretty reasonable. If, as time goes on, you determine that your social life is revolving around Wicker Park, than it wouldn't be unreasonable to move there. As far as stations along the blue line, I'd say Wicker Park, near the Dames stop (possible Ashland too) is the only area that would have more to do for someone of grad student age (assuming you are in your 20s) than the immediate area by campus.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
If they have cars then the commute by transit is not an issuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago