Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
Some people with BMW, Benzes, Porsches, will.
LOL even they will be humbled by our downtown and traffic. Chicago is the anti-motor city. Basicaly many buildings downtown do not have parking lots so you may wind up walking a longer distance than if you used the bus. Deeded parking downtown can go for $20,000.

It would be totally insane to drive from Union station to any point downtown just not worth the hassle.

Most of the touristy things are downtown and the loop is the 2nd bigest area of employment in the state. Only the burb of Chicago have more jobs(and thoose are a lot more spread out). If you wanted to drive during rush hour it will take atleast 30 mins to get from the downtown to the nearest burb. The El and Metra are both faster than driving rush hour.

Driving from downtown to the burbs makes more sense but even then the hassle of getting back into town. Both inbound and outbound expressways are jamed during rush.

The smart move if you are a CEO going out to the burbs is to use Metra to get to the burbs and use a taxi from there unless Metra's hours are bad.The CEO where I used to work used to do this all the time since the downtown location for the company was very convient to public tranist to our location(you could walk to the Metra station or drive). The only issuse is that Metra hours are not as good for the reverse commuter.

Last edited by chirack; 04-19-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I lol'd too. Having just been to Peoria, I found that statement absolutely ridiculous.
This one is even better:

Quote:
They will be Chicagoans and talk about Peoria as if it were Chicago.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM

378 posts, read 576,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This one is even better:
Well this is a thread for wild speculation.
Aren't you creative enough to speculate?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
This one is even better:

Holy cow. How did I miss that gem?

I don't know if the OP has ever been to Peoria, but there is no mistaking it aside from the sleepy central IL town that it is.

And there is no way in hell people would ever call it Chicagoland even. What the heck is this garbage?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I thought we were speculating within the realm of possibility. Like another poster said, teleporting is more possible. If you want to talk about wild speculation, let's talk about the evil cyborg overlords at skynet.

Quote:
What is the point of being creative to speculate about things that will never happen (at least in our lifetimes?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Holy cow. How did I miss that gem?

I don't know if the OP has ever been to Peoria, but there is no mistaking it aside from the sleepy central IL town that it is.

And there is no way in hell people would ever call it Chicagoland even. What the heck is this garbage?

Wild speculation. And you're right, I never have been to Peoria. How many Chicagoans have?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I never have been to Peoria. How many Chicagoans have?
Why does it matter?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
What is the point of being creative to speculate about things that will never happen (at least in our lifetimes?)
For the fun of speculation.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Wild speculation. And you're right, I never have been to Peoria. How many Chicagoans have?
I don't know. Not many, maybe? The only reason I went to Peoria is that I am an avid zoo enthusiast and needed to visit the Peoria zoo and wildlife conservatory to cross those off my list. Otherwise, I have zero reason to be anywhere near Peoria (as I'm sure is the case with many Chicagoans.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago