Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 PM

400 posts, read 566,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Mixed in with a lot of harsh, you've gotten some very good advice in this thread. There are parts of Humboldt Park that are worth considering, and there are some neighboring 'hoods that would be even better suggestions -- Logan Square, Ukrainian Village -- I would also throw in Pilsen.

Thank you. I am grateful for the advice, and while I can't respond to every post, I am still listening I did visit a few areas during the interview week and Pilsen was one of them. I loved it there and really enjoyed the Mexican Art Museum but I haven't seen anything come up on my apartment searches in that area. What is the price range on a 3 bedroom?

The problem is I don't know how anyone could have time to visit so MANY neighborhoods! I understand some of the harshness in that I realize I sound a bit clueless, and hit a nerve with the whole "gentrification" thing. I really wasn't familiar with that term before reading these forums, in fact that is why I am asking for advice! I have enjoyed learning about peoples perceptions of white families moving into neighborhoods and "improving" them by driving others out. I can see that this is a problem and there's not a simple solution. Of course by change for the better I was thinking less gangs, less crime, more sustainable community interaction, a good mix of incomes. I realize that the area I was asking about is not recommended for that reason and I am continuing my search.

I am still looking for affordable housing in close proximity to downtown (loop) and I love the idea of being close to the park. We want to walk to the library and grocery stores safely and it would be nice if there were other young families around. I am looking into the other suggestions too. Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM

400 posts, read 957,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
The problem is I don't know how anyone could have time to visit so MANY neighborhoods! .

What do you mean by this?

You have to use logic to pare it down a bit.
See one you think sounds cool, check it out,
oops cross it off, Unless you plan on checking out
all 77 neigborhoods in alphabetical order I think you will
be okay after maybe the fifth area, hopefully!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Quote:
... and hit a nerve with the whole "gentrification" thing.
No, this is just a "personality issue" with some of the frequent posters.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Amazing 3 bedroom across from historic church w/garage (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2333108346.html - broken link)

Great Layout~Brand New Townhome~Perfect for Roommates or Families! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2335622607.html - broken link)

GORGEOUS►SPACIOUS 3BR/1BA W/PATIO & LAUDRY MINS TO UIC (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2335098502.html - broken link)

Chicago-University Village / Little Italy (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2334413661.html - broken link) -- This is University Village, but it's close to Pilsen and worth considering

Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
there is a huge (1,000+) listserv the Logan Square community uses here:

LoganSquare : Logan Square

Many of those folks are also either in, used to live in, or are at least are quite familiar with Humboldt. Might be worth a shot.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM

400 posts, read 566,084 times
aragx6 - thanks, that is just about exactly what I am looking for, I don't know why I hadn't seen any of those. My husbands office is closest to pink and green lines so areas on those lines are convenient.

What a resourceful bunch of folks ya'll are! I will likely be posting more threads as I have questions about utilities, commute costs, and some I haven't thought of yet. Thanks everyone who took time to read and comment (even if you weren't very nice!)

Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
I am still looking for affordable housing in close proximity to downtown (loop) and I love the idea of being close to the park. We want to walk to the library and grocery stores safely and it would be nice if there were other young families around. I am looking into the other suggestions too. Thanks again everyone.
Not to plug my own area but Berwyn definitely has a lot of young activism going on right now. Berwyn CARES consists mostly of young parents and has been very vocal on educational issues. A group of residents also just formed the Berwyn Bungalow Preservation Initiative, which seems to have adaptive reuse at its core (a good thing IMHO).

I can tell you firsthand that a lot of new residents are young professionals who were renting in neighborhoods like Logan Square, Bucktown, Wicker Park, etc. and want an affordable first house with character (much of Berwyn's housing stock is Chicago Bungalows built in the 1920s). So there's a very different vibe here than in a typical suburb.

Not to bash Humbolt Park by any means but you'd be considerably safer satisfying your desire to be part of a movement to improve a community. You'd also be closer to the Loop in terms of commute times. It's about 18 minutes to the Loop on the Metra and about 15 minutes driving down I-290 in clear traffic.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I agree that there are "too many" neighborhoods to REALLY know all the details about every little nook on a personal level. Those of us who have lived in the area for a loooong time and/or have jobs/lifestyles that make it likely that we'll be exposed to many more parts of the region than is typical really are the only way to tackle some of these questions and make a "short list" of what deserves to be investigated.

I think that Bru's plug, personally motivated though it may be, is actually a VERY good one for this situation. Since the OP is a homeschooler the situation might work to their advantage. While I sorta think the "hipness factor" is questionable I do have to agree that if the OP is looking for a town that has a grittier overall feel than Oak Park with a smattering of some lovely / charming examples of bungalows, better than average transiit options, good levels of safety and a fair "value proposition". The more detailed list that the OP mentions about a happy families walking to the library and grocery is going to tough to find even in most peaceful of communities -- last few days the WEATHER has been unfit for anything other than arctic waterfowl... Tulsa has a much more pleasant spring.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM

312 posts, read 712,799 times
Having grown up in Tulsa but having been born in Chicago (and having moved back 5 years ago), I'm curious what neighborhood you live(d) in that is as you describe it. Was it North of Pine?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM

367 posts, read 917,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Not to plug my own area but Berwyn definitely has a lot of young activism going on right now.
Berwyn is a suburb. Back off BRU67, I want the OP and her family in Ukrainian Village.

I think they would fit in very well and enjoy the area. Here's some linkage for you sarahdeanne.

Chicago Reader | Ukrainian Village and East Village | Eastern Europeans, Latinos, artists, and aldermen have left their mark on the area real estate agents are calling “the new Lincoln Park.”

If it's not your thing check out Logan.

Chicago Reader | Logan Square Issue: History, Politics, Architecture, Restaurants, Bars, Shopping, and more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago