Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,789 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Chicago from Pittsburgh, PA in late March. Now I think Chicago is a great city and has a lot to offer in terms of education, culture, and amenities, but this is the most cold and depressing April I can remember.

Before moving, I thought I had done my research comparing the climates of Chicago and Pittsburgh:

MOD CUT

Based on the results, I thought that the climates would be more or less the same, with Chicago having a slightly colder winter (December-February), which I'm ok with, as I find the snow beautiful in winter.

What I'm wondering: Is weather.com full of it, or is this an abnormally bad April for Chicago?

I don't mind a cold winter, but I find a cold, ugly, rainy, and bloomless April utterly depressing.

In Pittsburgh, April averages highs in the 60s, with some 50s (even a day or 2 in the 40s) in the early month and some 70s at the end of the month (possibly a day or two in the 80s), but it actually feels like and looks like spring, for the most part. The grass is more or less green by late March/very early April. Trees start blooming around April 10 (give or take), and by April 20 the trees are a light fuzz of green and typically are full by May 10 or so.

That is what I'm used to. April 2011 in Chicago was very depressing. Now I really like the city and all that it has to offer. I'm just wondering if I should prepare for the majority of Aprils to be cold, dreary, and bloomless, or if 2011 was a particularly bad year. I'm hoping for the latter, but I want to know the truth.

Last edited by linicx; 04-24-2011 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: 1/10 rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Sounds like a good letter to the skill master tom killing at wgn
but in my views of the spring in chicagoland

This is an abnormal spring
Usually we have a nice stretch of warm days
but this year is abnormally cool
just the other day i was thinking how we have missed spring of 2011

but short answer
the spring is usually warmer , this is not normal

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
April's usual average is between 60 and 64

I'm not liking this April. Its been in the late 40s and 50 most of the month.

The biggest problem is the wind. Chicagoland is notorious for that and the breeze makes it colder than what it actually is.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 04-24-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 AM

172 posts, read 438,334 times
The average highs for this time of year are usually in the 60s. It has been colder than normal this year. The grass around my house is green and I see a lot of small leaves on the trees. Maybe that is because we don't live close to the lake.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
the average high for month of april is 57 high/ low 39 at ohare, 59/40 at midway, w/ colder wind chills if you are by the lake or downtown through the buildings. there are usually a few warmer days, but it isn't out of the ordinary. while there are SOME april's that have been seasonally warmer, this year is not out of the ordinary unless you have a short memory. I would say you should get used to it. There is no normal springs or falls in Chicago as they are both quite inconsistent. We had a nice October, we are getting a crap Spring. Out of the ordinary? no way.
pretty much nov-april in chicago is crap weather. and you can expect to need a jacket in the morning and at night almost through the end of may esp if you live closer to the lake.

Last edited by grapico; 04-24-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
April 2, 1975: Six inches of snow.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 14,789 times
Yes, Pittsburgh has gotten measurable snow in early April and even traces in early May, but that is not normal, but it does happen every now and then. Today isn't all that bad in Chicago. Pittsburgh has been consistently in the 60s or lower 70s (expect Thursday & Friday were cooler) for the past several weeks, but it's been depressing here.

I know it's cooler by the lake, but I live 25 miles inland (further than O'Hare). For my specific zip code, according to weather.com, the average high for April is 63 (low is a bit chilly at 38), and for May the average high/low is 75/48. If weather.com is true, then this April is abnormally cold, but I'm not sure, as this is my first April and first month here.

To be completely honest, if this is a normal April, I seriously will consider moving in the future. If not, I can probably tolerate it. The cold winters don't bother me, but a cold spring is too depressing for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
This is normal. April is not an month that averages apply. Basically it can be anywhere from 80 to 30 in April. This one is a bit on the cool side, but not that far from norm. April in Chicago can be people in shorts or it can be snow on the ground(that usually melts in a day or so).

For Chicago you will need a jacket until June. May in the day is nice but at night still gets nippy. April is a very inconsistent month. Lately it has been getting warmer a bit sooner, cause I can remember lots of cold rainy memorial days when I was a kid.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoblues2011 View Post
Yes, Pittsburgh has gotten measurable snow in early April and even traces in early May, but that is not normal, but it does happen every now and then. Today isn't all that bad in Chicago. Pittsburgh has been consistently in the 60s or lower 70s (expect Thursday & Friday were cooler) for the past several weeks, but it's been depressing here.

I know it's cooler by the lake, but I live 25 miles inland (further than O'Hare). For my specific zip code, according to weather.com, the average high for April is 63 (low is a bit chilly at 38), and for May the average high/low is 75/48. If weather.com is true, then this April is abnormally cold, but I'm not sure, as this is my first April and first month here.

To be completely honest, if this is a normal April, I seriously will consider moving in the future. If not, I can probably tolerate it. The cold winters don't bother me, but a cold spring is too depressing for me.
I have spent 4 aprils in Chicago 06,07, 08, 11, it has snowed in 3 out of 4 of them, including this year. I'd say it is pretty par for the course. Remember, it was 85 a few weeks ago...but just one day, then the next week was snow/freezing rain/drizzle/wind, a few days like that, which is normal, will bump up that "average". Spring and fall in chicago can have pretty wild swings, summer will be hot, winter will be cold. the weather sucks balls in chicago, period even if the locals are used to it from growing up here. you'll have to decide if the rest is worth it to you. to me right now it is that b/c i have good opportunity here vs elsewhere, would if i leave if i had better opportunities elsewhere? you betcha. that is just how it is now, people are mobile and go to where the good jobs or universities are. there is plenty of cultural enrichment to do here, that is truly unique, so experience it while you are still here. thinking about the weather all the time is just going to make you depressed, just accept it sucks, then you'll start feeling better, or, make plans to leave as you suggested.

Last edited by grapico; 04-24-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoblues2011 View Post
I recently moved to Chicago from Pittsburgh, PA in late March. Now I think Chicago is a great city and has a lot to offer in terms of education, culture, and amenities, but this is the most cold and depressing April I can remember.

That is what I'm used to. April 2011 in Chicago was very depressing. Now I really like the city and all that it has to offer. I'm just wondering if I should prepare for the majority of Aprils to be cold, dreary, and bloomless, or if 2011 was a particularly bad year. I'm hoping for the latter, but I want to know the truth.
It takes consistent warm for plants to bloom. Chicago is glorious in late spring and summer but getting there can be slow going. I live on the south side a few miles from the lake and the grass is green and trees are budding(a few are lefy but the majority are not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago