Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 AM

36 posts, read 88,460 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am flying out to view two properties in Evanston that we love. Additionally, we are looking at a few other places. We love Chicago and have lived there before, but I was hoping you all could fill me in on a few of these addresses. I'm not even sure what areas some of these places are technically in. We are a young-ish family and safety is a concern, but we aren't totally stupid when it comes to city living, having lived in Philly, Boston, DC, and Chicago. my husband will be taking public transportation, so please consider that when you tell me about the addresses. All are convenient to transportation, but I am not sure about the particular metra/el/bus stops

1700 N Rockwell St
Chicago, 60647 (is this HP? is Rockwell this far north ok?)

1616 N WESTERN AVE
CHICAGO (western ave can be dicey--that is what I read on these forums)

3031 N CLYBOURN AVE
CHICAGO (pretty sure this location is just fine)

1750 N CAMPBELL AVE
CHICAGO (is this Bucktown proper? I think this area is full of ugly buildings and alleyways--anyone know or been around here? safety?)

3758 N Fremont ST
CHICAGO

2130 W Potomac ST 2
CHICAGO (is this Wicker Park proper? Anyone know about safety and stuff here?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM

312 posts, read 713,034 times
That Western address (and stretch of Western) is fine if you ask me, but busy. As you get into Rockwell and Campbell north of North avenue and closer to California/Humboldt Park, it gets sketchier.

In short, I'd avoid the Fremont, Rockwell, and Campbell addresses. I can't speak to Potomac but I wouldn't necessarily call that Wicker. I think that stretch of Division starts getting sketchy as you move West, but mostly past the hospital.

The Clybourn and Fremont addresses seem to be your "safest" bets

Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svandoel View Post
Hello all,

I am flying out to view two properties in Evanston that we love. Additionally, we are looking at a few other places. We love Chicago and have lived there before, but I was hoping you all could fill me in on a few of these addresses. I'm not even sure what areas some of these places are technically in. We are a young-ish family and safety is a concern, but we aren't totally stupid when it comes to city living, having lived in Philly, Boston, DC, and Chicago. my husband will be taking public transportation, so please consider that when you tell me about the addresses. All are convenient to transportation, but I am not sure about the particular metra/el/bus stops

1700 N Rockwell St
Chicago, 60647 (is this HP? is Rockwell this far north ok?)

1616 N WESTERN AVE
CHICAGO (western ave can be dicey--that is what I read on these forums)

3031 N CLYBOURN AVE
CHICAGO (pretty sure this location is just fine)

1750 N CAMPBELL AVE
CHICAGO (is this Bucktown proper? I think this area is full of ugly buildings and alleyways--anyone know or been around here? safety?)

3758 N Fremont ST
CHICAGO

2130 W Potomac ST 2
CHICAGO (is this Wicker Park proper? Anyone know about safety and stuff here?)
That Clybourn address is right by the remnants of the Lathrop Homes housing project.

Chicago Icam those addresses and see if you are comfortable with those crime levels.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
That Western address (and stretch of Western) is fine if you ask me, but busy. As you get into Rockwell and Campbell north of North avenue and closer to California/Humboldt Park, it gets sketchier.

In short, I'd avoid the Fremont, Rockwell, and Campbell addresses. I can't speak to Potomac but I wouldn't necessarily call that Wicker. I think that stretch of Division starts getting sketchy as you move West, but mostly past the hospital.

The Clybourn and Fremont addresses seem to be your "safest" bets
Wait--avoid Fremont or Fremont is ok? I think Fremont is fine--maybe you didn't mean to put that on there. I do agree that Fremont and Clybourn are my best bets, though we prefer the Evanston places.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
That Clybourn address is right by the remnants of the Lathrop Homes housing project.

Chicago Icam those addresses and see if you are comfortable with those crime levels.

Really?? I just thought it would be decent based on the location and street views (obviously I would do more research prior to putting the deposit down). Is that Roscoe Village?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Really?? I just thought it would be decent based on the location and street views (obviously I would do more research prior to putting the deposit down). Is that Roscoe Village?
Not really Roscoe Village.

It is close to Lathrop, but in my experience Lathrop related crime seemed to have a pretty small radius. Bigger concern for me would be public transit access. You'd have to walk up to Belmont/Clybourn to grab the Western bus, then transfer to the Blue line. Or you could take the Belmont bus east to the red line. Either option would take some time.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM

312 posts, read 713,034 times
I'm sorry, fremont seems okay to me. I meant I would avoid potomac, or at least look at it before committing

Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
I'm sorry, fremont seems okay to me. I meant I would avoid potomac, or at least look at it before committing

Thank you for clarifying.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Not really Roscoe Village.

It is close to Lathrop, but in my experience Lathrop related crime seemed to have a pretty small radius. Bigger concern for me would be public transit access. You'd have to walk up to Belmont/Clybourn to grab the Western bus, then transfer to the Blue line. Or you could take the Belmont bus east to the red line. Either option would take some time.

What is it technically? Logan Square? And if so, I know there are stretches of sketch in that area. Would this be considered one of the areas to avoid?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Wait--avoid Fremont or Fremont is ok? I think Fremont is fine--maybe you didn't mean to put that on there. I do agree that Fremont and Clybourn are my best bets, though we prefer the Evanston places.
That's 2 blocks from Wrigley, completely safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago