Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,990 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am graduating in a few weeks from Tulane University in New Orleans. I have a B.A. degree in English and Political Science with minors in foreign languages. I am planning on going to graduate school or law school, but I want to take a year off first to really prepare and get into the school I want (Georgetown, Northwestern or University of Chicago right now).

I recently just got a job offer to move to Chicago and work with an organization that I am really interested and excited about. BUT the salary is 25k-30k. I think I could manage if I lived frugally, but I'm not sure where to start looking for housing or what I should be considering before I take the job.

I really like Chicago, but I've only visited a few times...and I spent more time in O'Hare than in the actual city.
Any advice about living in Chicago on that salary? Where should I start looking for apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrose101 View Post
Any advice about living in Chicago on that salary? Where should I start looking for apartments?
In the "Roommates needed" section.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM

183 posts, read 338,972 times
I would advise getting a studio apt. which you can do for well under 1,000 per month in the neighborhoods of Edgewater and Rogers Park. These 'hoods are also within walking distance of the L and are on many bus lines going downtown. Search for apts. at chicagoreader.com or on craigslist. On what side of town are you working?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
In the "Roommates needed" section.

yeah pretty much

@OP, You don't give enough financial or personal information to really say....if you have no debt/cc payments/loans and don't spend like crazy you might be able to find an affordable but not cute studio in one of the more desirable-ish neighborhoods (lakeview and the like are popular for fresh out of college types). If you are trying to save for grad school, have other debt or wan't something more than a dump, you'll need a roommate.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrose101 View Post
Hi! I am graduating in a few weeks from Tulane University in New Orleans. I have a B.A. degree in English and Political Science with minors in foreign languages. I am planning on going to graduate school or law school, but I want to take a year off first to really prepare and get into the school I want (Georgetown, Northwestern or University of Chicago right now).

I recently just got a job offer to move to Chicago and work with an organization that I am really interested and excited about. BUT the salary is 25k-30k. I think I could manage if I lived frugally, but I'm not sure where to start looking for housing or what I should be considering before I take the job.

I really like Chicago, but I've only visited a few times...and I spent more time in O'Hare than in the actual city.
Contact someone at the universities , they could steer you in the right direction

If your new employer recruits young people alot fresh out of school maybe they would have an idea what others have done in the past.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
If you make 30k and have absolutely no debt you can get by. You'll take home like 1700mo and you can find a place for like $700/mo and have enough money leftover.

It would be worth trying to find a roommate though if thats something youre open too. One of my friends lived in wicker park with 3 roommates on a salary of 25k. It's doable.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Definatley do the roomate thing as it woud give you that extra money needed.

and what ever you do - dont buy a card or rack up any credit cards as then your money will be zapped or your credit cards will suck all your money dry.

There are many free things to do , you dont even need to look that hard to find them

after all the best things in life are the least expensive.

Dont remember the last time I paid for a smile.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Student loan debt could be the deal breaker for you... Otherwise, you should be able to manage with a roommate. Cooking at home, walking instead of driving everywhere, and shopping for bargains are just a few strategies that have helped me live comfortably as I watched my wages decline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: