U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,304,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yeah, but it wasnt' just the early 00's. Mine have gone up approximately 45% over 7 years, and 90% of that increase was in the past 2 years. It wouldn't necessarily be terrible if a) my property was actually gaining value and b) everyone's went up by about the same amount and c) the money was for some sort of useful new city service instead of just propping up an unsustainable system. But none of those things happened so it's quite galling.
The lack of anything resembling fairness or transparency makes the setting and collection of property taxes in Chicago and Cook Co horrible.

My fear is that people will assume that any scheme to "shift" burden toward more income tax will some how "soak the rich". Quite the contrary -- given the limitations against a graduated income tax in the State Constitution and the dishonesty that Quinn, Madigan, Cullerton and every other member of the legislative / executive branch that "pledged" to reign in spending does it makes sense to accept any tax hike / shifts??
Illinois lawmakers try to rein in spending to make tax hike go away - Chicago Tribune

Illinois Lawmakers Discuss Soda Tax - KWQC-TV6 News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Will a temporary Illinois tax hike become permanent? - Chicago Tribune
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,598,204 times
Goodness here we go again with the tax issues-
If you dont like Illinois then move
Go to Indiana or Wisconsin
Just dont come back here for the amenities
Seems like everyone wants to complain
I guess its human nature

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,167,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The lack of anything resembling fairness or transparency makes the setting and collection of property taxes in Chicago and Cook Co horrible.

My fear is that people will assume that any scheme to "shift" burden toward more income tax will some how "soak the rich". Quite the contrary -- given the limitations against a graduated income tax in the State Constitution and the dishonesty that Quinn, Madigan, Cullerton and every other member of the legislative / executive branch that "pledged" to reign in spending does it makes sense to accept any tax hike / shifts??
I fully agree with your first part.

I'd just like to be able to financially plan ahead more than 2 years, and the 3-year reassessment cycle combined with an out-of-control City tax levy (and don't forget those happy TIFs) are responsible.

And how the heck is someone supposed to enjoy the American dream and retire and enjoy the home they worked their lives for when the current system actually punishes them for improving their neighborhood?

But the upper classes are exploiting the property tax system in a big way right now, there's no way an income tax could be worse.

It's not a coincidence that most major political movers and shakers also have connections/partnerships with law firms that handle property tax appeals.

It's much easier to close loopholes than to have a system which actively encourages this kind of collusion/corruption.

When a building like the Hancock Center gets an 8 figure reduction, that's a lot of SFH and 2-flats getting relatively large bumps to make up the difference.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I guess its human nature
If the status quo works for you, fine - but being lazy & disengaged makes you part of the problem as far as corruption is concerned.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 11,213,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I guess its human nature
Sorry for sounding mean, but if you normally vote straight ticket Democrat, then you are part of the problem. Madigan & Quinn are not feeling a true sense of urgency to reform pensions, state spending and other key economic issues. Why? Because of the loyal block of Democratic voters who vote straight ticket each and every election! If they do not feel their majority hold on governing, and the job security that goes along with it, is in jeopardy then the status quo works fine for them. In the mean time we all open our wallets and shell out more $. I have no problem paying taxes IF I feel they are being used wisely and efficiently-which they are not!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Sorry for sounding mean, but if you normally vote straight ticket Democrat, then you are part of the problem. Madigan & Quinn are not feeling a true sense of urgency to reform pensions, state spending and other key economic issues. Why? Because of the loyal block of Democratic voters who vote straight ticket each and every election! If they do not feel their majority hold on governing, and the job security that goes along with it, is in jeopardy then the status quo works fine for them. In the mean time we all open our wallets and shell out more $. I have no problem paying taxes IF I feel they are being used wisely and efficiently-which they are not!
People who vote straight-ticket ANYTHING are part of the problem.

I do think Chicagoans tend to overstate the inefficiency and waste in the public sector, the private sector is by no means necessarily more efficient nor corruption-free.

I got in an argument recently with someone complaining that graffiti blasters was a waste of money & an inappropriate City service, but it's $19 million a year, for the entire damned city. I told him to go to hell, the idea that people are going to go out and rent sandblasters to take graffiti off of brick is just ludicrous, and gangs can't intimidate City workers the way they can a poor old guy who's garage get tagged.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
If the status quo works for you, fine - but being lazy & disengaged makes you part of the problem as far as corruption is concerned.
What?
Lazy? Disengaged?
Where did you pull that from?

FYI
I am not the problem
First of all I vote

Secondly I work- never took a dime from the government always pay into the system
I have served my country four years in the Navy ( sure a lot of people on this chat have too)
I also try to give back to society and volunteer for causes that i feel are important and will help others.

I work full time , my wife works full time-
so please dont assume the above

The only part I said was I am tired of all the complaining and whining
is there any thing wrong with just making an observation?

Just wondering where you took this notion from , care to explain i would like to hear you out on this one

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM

2,419 posts, read 5,787,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
People who vote straight-ticket ANYTHING are part of the problem.

I do think Chicagoans tend to overstate the inefficiency and waste in the public sector, the private sector is by no means necessarily more efficient nor corruption-free.

I got in an argument recently with someone complaining that graffiti blasters was a waste of money & an inappropriate City service, but it's $19 million a year, for the entire damned city. I told him to go to hell, the idea that people are going to go out and rent sandblasters to take graffiti off of brick is just ludicrous, and gangs can't intimidate City workers the way they can a poor old guy who's garage get tagged.
Was this guy a hard-core conservative? My brother is like that; he believes that the ONLY thing government should provide is roads and minimal infrastructure. The rest, he says, should be handled by citizens or private interests.

That being said, something like Graffiti Blasters needs to be a public service. Especially for the elderly and disabled who, like you say, can't perform those duties.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 11,213,775 times
Sunny: Sorry about my rant, I mis-interpreted your venting.
Chi-Town: Agreed, it certainly cuts both ways
Mannheim & Chi-town, the guy criticizing Graffitti Blasters is penny wise & dollar foolish.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
No, your fine-
Smart enough not to vote straight ticket!
Did I vote for quinn yes - will i vote again for quinn 2x heavens no!
Vote for the person who I believe will better serve the needs and desires of the community all the way up to the federal level.

Status quo is not working for me, all i mentioned was all the whining and complaining in all fairness i have complained too

not much I can do about things right now.
I have written the governor, congressman, senators and voiced my displeasure on several fronts.

So I feel I have really done my part at least more than others with the letter I sent to our elected officials.

I just simply get tired of the negativity and it really would stand to reason most would too

In addition I get tired of people slamming Illinois that is old and worn out
You dont as I know you like the state and the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago