U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,600,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
People who vote straight-ticket ANYTHING are part of the problem.

I do think Chicagoans tend to overstate the inefficiency and waste in the public sector, the private sector is by no means necessarily more efficient nor corruption-free.

I got in an argument recently with someone complaining that graffiti blasters was a waste of money & an inappropriate City service, but it's $19 million a year, for the entire damned city. I told him to go to hell, the idea that people are going to go out and rent sandblasters to take graffiti off of brick is just ludicrous, and gangs can't intimidate City workers the way they can a poor old guy who's garage get tagged.
Agree with you totally albeit I do not reside in Chicago but in the sw burbs
i do hear alot of people overstating the waste and inefficiency.
you live in the area you cant escape the whining

Do they do some things i dont like yes - for example parking
and the layers upon layers of government I agree
it just wears on me and gets me down all the time when people b t ch

hey i am guilty too maybe i am just being optimistic today i dont know.
Its like when i read crains business all they talk about is the negative news for the most part - go to world business chicago and there is so much more positive news its like night and day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM

13,349 posts, read 15,206,008 times
On a positive note, Groupon just leased an additional 220,000 at 600 W. Chicago.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
On a positive note, Groupon just leased an additional 220,000 at 600 W. Chicago.
Awesome!
now that is some damn good news!

used to work in that bldg
that was back in 06 not sure if groupon was even there at that time
but this is great
THANKS FOR THE GOOD NEWS

Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,170,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Was this guy a hard-core conservative? My brother is like that; he believes that the ONLY thing government should provide is roads and minimal infrastructure. The rest, he says, should be handled by citizens or private interests.

That being said, something like Graffiti Blasters needs to be a public service. Especially for the elderly and disabled who, like you say, can't perform those duties.
a bleeding-heart liberal. his opinion/rant was all of that funding should go to the public schools to feed kids. I pointed out that $19 million spread across 400,000 kids is hardly going to accomplish that.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Agree with you totally albeit I do not reside in Chicago but in the sw burbs
i do hear alot of people overstating the waste and inefficiency.
you live in the area you cant escape the whining

Do they do some things i dont like yes - for example parking
and the layers upon layers of government I agree
it just wears on me and gets me down all the time when people b t ch

hey i am guilty too maybe i am just being optimistic today i dont know.
Its like when i read crains business all they talk about is the negative news for the most part - go to world business chicago and there is so much more positive news its like night and day.
I misread you as well, mea culpa. Too beautiful to be indoors for lunch today, I'm outta here.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:08 AM

2,419 posts, read 5,789,309 times
Quote:
a bleeding-heart liberal. his opinion/rant was all of that funding should go to the public schools to feed kids. I pointed out that $19 million spread across 400,000 kids is hardly going to accomplish that.

You're right. At $47.50 per kid, was this guy even thinking? Or ranting for the hell of it?

Quote:
I misread you as well, mea culpa. Too beautiful to be indoors for lunch today, I'm outta here.
Damn you. I get to enjoy my lunch on a shop floor with heat tunnels and no A/C.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
all is well

Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM

interesting:

America’s Biggest (And Least) Gas-Guzzling Cities - Christopher Helman - Fuel - Forbes

always nice to see the CNT get some publicity.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,820,989 times
Depends on perspective. Coming from larger coastal cities of similar urban caliber it will seem affordable. However, I don't think the general consensus is that Chicago is a bargain.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,111,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Depends on perspective. Coming from larger coastal cities of similar urban caliber it will seem affordable. However, I don't think the general consensus is that Chicago is a bargain.
But don't you think Chicago should be compared to cities of similar urban caliber? What is the point of comparing COL between Chicago and Tulsa? Chicago can easily match SF, DC, Boston, Seattle on ammenities at a much lower COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago