Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times

Advertisements

Well if some one says "world class" I think Hong Kong or Paris so now who needs to get with the reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Well.. according to Money-Rates the #1 best state to earn a living is in Illinois. None of the states around us are ranked Top 10 or Bottom 10. Texas is two behind Illinois at #3, and California is in the bottom 10.

What I do not know is if any of thosee "other" Chicago taxes Chet mentioned (not property taxes) were factored in. Probably not since they are particular to Chicago residents. .

//www.city-data.com/forum/19038125-post1.html

Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
I have friends moving from california to chicago and they complain that Chicago is not as "affordable" as they originally thought. For instance, homes in some of the nice north side neighborhoods (lincoln park, old town, lakeview, river north, streeterville, gold coast etc come to mind) can easily cost $300-400 per sf, and go up to over a $1000 per sf in some of the premier buildings (Trump Tower, Ritz Residences, etc come to mind). Price of renting a 2-3 bedroom home can easily cost $2000-$3000 if not more.

Adding insult to injury is the sale tax which is among the highest in the country; gas price, among the highest in the country; income tax, which just had a 50% increase last year. According to a recent study (10 Most Expensive Cities | Made Manual), Chicago is the 4th most expensive city to live in the US, ahead of such crunchy names as San Francisco, Boston, DC, etc.

Is it a popular misconception for ppl to think of Chicago as an affordable city just because it's in the midwest?
No way that is right... Prices were much more expensive in SF for the same property, in fact, almost double...and expensive into the suburbs as well, often more so.
Boston is also w/o a doubt more expensive.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Okay, so the first one mostly talks about cost per trip. That's not a very useful metric for comparing efficiency, because a bunch of short trips are going to be cheaper than a bunch of long trips. That's why I specifically cited cost per passenger mile.

Where the first one talks about the cost per passenger mile, their number are so far off the numbers I see from using original sources that even though in general I trust the Civic Federation, I would need to know more about how they do their calculations in order to discuss them. I'd prefer to stick with original sources unless the secondary source has a detailed description of how they calculate their cost estimates.

Finally for the first one, your original complaint was that Chicago was not efficient compared to other midwestern cities, yet that article lists other large cities, none of which are in the midwest.

The second article is just a silly thing to cite in a discussion comparing efficiency of systems, since it primarily discusses the funding of a single proposed (in other words, non-existent) light rail line. I'm not sure how that's relevant.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 AM

22 posts, read 29,843 times
Quote:
Well if some one says "world class" I think Hong Kong or Paris so now who needs to get with the reality?

Here you are evading the original issue you brought up. I can't say I am surprised.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
I have friends moving from california to chicago and they complain that Chicago is not as "affordable" as they originally thought. For instance, homes in some of the nice north side neighborhoods (lincoln park, old town, lakeview, river north, streeterville, gold coast etc come to mind) can easily cost $300-400 per sf, and go up to over a $1000 per sf in some of the premier buildings (Trump Tower, Ritz Residences, etc come to mind). Price of renting a 2-3 bedroom home can easily cost $2000-$3000 if not more.

Adding insult to injury is the sale tax which is among the highest in the country; gas price, among the highest in the country; income tax, which just had a 50% increase last year. According to a recent study (10 Most Expensive Cities | Made Manual), Chicago is the 4th most expensive city to live in the US, ahead of such crunchy names as San Francisco, Boston, DC, etc.

Is it a popular misconception for ppl to think of Chicago as an affordable city just because it's in the midwest?
Couple of comments:

1. I can probably name the number of buildings that cost $1,000 per sq foot on one hand, and those are about as high end as you can get in Chicago. Manhattan apartments AVERAGE about $1,000 per sq foot, those same $1,000 sq foot buildings in Chicago would be $4,000-5,000 sq ft in New York. $300-400 per sq foot seems to be about right for new construction for high end real estate in desirable neighborhoods (good luck finding those prices in NYC, Boston, DC, SF)

2. While Sales tax and gas are high in Chicago, It isn't really that noticable compared to other Cities (at least that's been my experience)

3. NYC, LA, DC, SF, Boston, Seattle, Miami are all more expensive cities than Chicago.

Lets be honest, while Chicago is an awesome city, it is viewed as less desirable to many because of it's midwest location. I honestly think that is a huge factor to its awsomeness, the avg Joe can afford to live in great neighborhoods!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Here you are evading the original issue you brought up. I can't say I am surprised.
As a new member, you probably should be surprised.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
So St. Louis has a better transit system than Chicago? Wow, that's breaking news!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
I swear,you people are going to drive to drink -- NY has a graduated income tax -- higher income brackets get a higher rate. Illinois has the same rate for all. There is no "soak the rich" only "allow Madigan and Quinn to tighten the noose tighter".

If you are not smart enough to take a flat tax rate out of your income stream how can it possibility be easier to budget a rising rate???
You can't budget for property taxes as they are based on an assessed value you have no control over (and which turned out to be sheer fantasy when viewed over the past 10 years).

Did you miss the memo in the early Oughts of people's taxes going up 30 - 50%+ overnight?

This is very simple. Income taxes are based on actual income. Property taxes are based on unrealized gains in times of prosperity, and on a bloated City levy.

If you want to reign in moronic City spending, the first thing to do is get people to understand how the budgets are funded - and nobody on earth is currently able to reconcile the TIF shell game as it doesn't exist on property tax bills, it's basically a shadow tax.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Did you miss the memo in the early Oughts of people's taxes going up 30 - 50%+ overnight?
Yeah, but it wasnt' just the early 00's. Mine have gone up approximately 45% over 7 years, and 90% of that increase was in the past 2 years. It wouldn't necessarily be terrible if a) my property was actually gaining value and b) everyone's went up by about the same amount and c) the money was for some sort of useful new city service instead of just propping up an unsustainable system. But none of those things happened so it's quite galling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago