Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,126,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
These incidents have been reported all over Police blog sites and for weeks now. These incidents are very real and very dangerous. Remember the media is controlled by Daley and other top politicos. This looks very bad for tourism, etc. The politicians will always sacrifice the public's safety for appearances and tax dollars. The Daley machine has always been a wonderful spin machine for public perception. Just like any beat cop will tell you it's laughable that crime is down for it's 24th straight month or whatever other propaganda is being spewed.
Are you serious? This isn't some drama on cable TV, it's reality. I'm pretty sure king Daley doesn't control the major news networks.

People need to seriously calm down.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I have no problem with the police, but I wouldn't put much stock in anything "the average beat cop" told me about any subject if for no other reason than that in my experience officers on the street are extremely susceptible to "group think." I don't say this as a slur - any group that has a shared experience virtually unknown by the larger population is going to experience some degree of group think, especially when it's a hard, at times dangerous, experience.
I definitely agree with this. In August of 2009 some kids broke one of my basement windows. My husband and I were both away from home when it happened. I returned home by myself and before even opening our door I could hear that our alarm had been set off while I was away. I was totally freaked out and called the police and didn't go into the house until the police had checked it out. As it turned out, there was nothing more to the story than the broken window and a Spanish Cobras logo or whatever lightly etched into the railing by our front door. Not one thing was missing from the house and when I talked to the people next door later, it turns out that the alarm was tripped when the police entered the house (while I was gone) after they (my neighbors) called the police and they went in to investigate.

Anyway, while one cop was writing up his reports, the other was talking to me. He told me I should move immediately, regardless of the financial loss we'd probably take to do so. He told me that my neighborhood was a crime infested slum and that no matter what my husband and I did we would always be thought of poorly by the people around us because (this is a direct quote) "you are a have in a world of have nots, they don't care about you, all they care about is your stuff and how they can get it from you because as far as they are concerned you don't deserve it and they do." I was more freaked out after talking to that cop than I was before, definitely. He went on for half an hour about how horrible everything was in the area.

I don't think badly of the police, and I think that officer's heart was in the right place, but he really scared me for no reason. Nothing else has happened in the 2 years since that incident. Not so much as minor graffiti. My neighbors are all really nice to me. I just think that officer had only seen a certain side of the neighborhood for long enough that it jaded him completely. There are bad apples, definitely, but even in the eastern part of Humboldt Park, they aren't the majority. At least not from what I've seen.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 AM

312 posts, read 711,379 times
Do you mind my asking what part of the eastern side of Humboldt Park? And no, I'm not asking so I can rob you

Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,853,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Anyway, while one cop was writing up his reports, the other was talking to me. He told me I should move immediately, regardless of the financial loss we'd probably take to do so. He told me that my neighborhood was a crime infested slum and that no matter what my husband and I did we would always be thought of poorly by the people around us because (this is a direct quote) "you are a have in a world of have nots, they don't care about you, all they care about is your stuff and how they can get it from you because as far as they are concerned you don't deserve it and they do." I was more freaked out after talking to that cop than I was before, definitely. He went on for half an hour about how horrible everything was in the area.
I think what's changed that the police haven't caught up to in a "groupthink" sense is that even people of limited/modest means can afford the kind of crapola that used to be much more expensive, relatively.

I have neighbors who definitely are less well-heeled than my family is, yet who routinely have boxes/packaging for huge HDTVs, etc. in the alley.

My guess is they still largely live paycheck-to-paycheck, but get such consumer goods as they are still a good investment when contrasted to the cost of going to a movie or other expensive family outings.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
Do you mind my asking what part of the eastern side of Humboldt Park? And no, I'm not asking so I can rob you
North of Division on Campbell... I'm not too worried about being robbed anymore. After that incident we added a lot of security to the house and honestly, nothing in it really is worth breaking in for anyway, but no one from the outside knows that, I suppose.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM

312 posts, read 711,379 times
Ah, thanks. I had wondered about that stretch. We were north of the park on Humboldt for a while

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

32 posts, read 34,592 times
The animals come out in force when it gets warm out and school is almost out for the summer.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 PM

396 posts, read 923,752 times
I dunno, if I see a large group of black thugs organizing outside of my store, I'd lock the doors.

BTW: "Flash Mobs" used to be harmless (people would gather in a large group then do something weird like break out into a pillow fight). What these kids are doing aren't flash mobs.. these are organized crimes (look up the beatings in Philadelphia, robberies in Minnesota). RICO should be used against all of them.

Last edited by odannyboi; 05-12-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,177,805 times
Banned ^^

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM

396 posts, read 923,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Banned ^^
For what? I'm not using racial slurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago