Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

I don't understand whats so hard about the story for you people to comprehend. The employees didn't do anything wrong.

"The ruling stems from a test given in 1995 that was intended to measure an aptitude for firefighting. After the test, anyone who scored 64 or below was deemed not qualified, but officials told those who scored above that number that while they passed, they would randomly hire the top 1,800 who scored 89 or better.

Because only 11 percent of the African Americans scored 89 or better, the overwhelming number of applicants hired from that test were white."

Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Let's see of we can get this train wreck back on track.

The fact is a fireighter's test is arduous. It is physically demanding and it requires knowlege. A Psyc 101 test it ain't. I had a friend who wanted to be a firefighter since a very young age. Friend studied hard, worked hard training for the test. Friend was at the top physically and aced the written test.

Despite all of the studying and hard phyiscal training my friend failed the test. Why? Upper body strength. Part of the test was to suit-up with full gear and oxygen tanks, pick up an adult in a "fireman's carry" walk down several steps and carry the victim 50 feet. Did not complete the physical test.

My friend got even with the world; went back to college for a masters in psycology and marred a sitting member on the City Council. You know what the Fire Chief remembered? She was one tough black lady he wanted to bire but the regs stopped her and several men the same day.

The test is not nearly as easy as it sounds. Color has nothing to do with the stamina and brute physical strength required of our fire fighters. You either have it or you don't.

Let's not turn this threat started by a person from the East Coast into a racial issue when it is not.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Once again, completely civil discussions about race are referred to as "train wrecks" by Lininx, Drover and others.. You know it's something that needs to be discussed if people don't want it to be discussed.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Uhm... when have I ever called any thread a train wreck?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm... when have I ever called any thread a train wreck?
Well, Lininx called it a train wreck. I guess you have never called any thread a train wreck and I shouldn't have put these words in your mouth. But of course, you have made it perfectly clear more than once you don't like "race threads".

Last edited by urza216; 05-19-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Let's see of we can get this train wreck back on track.

The fact is a fireighter's test is arduous. It is physically demanding and it requires knowlege. A Psyc 101 test it ain't. I had a friend who wanted to be a firefighter since a very young age. Friend studied hard, worked hard training for the test. Friend was at the top physically and aced the written test.

Despite all of the studying and hard phyiscal training my friend failed the test. Why? Upper body strength. Part of the test was to suit-up with full gear and oxygen tanks, pick up an adult in a "fireman's carry" walk down several steps and carry the victim 50 feet. Did not complete the physical test.

My friend got even with the world; went back to college for a masters in psycology and marred a sitting member on the City Council. You know what the Fire Chief remembered? She was one tough black lady he wanted to bire but the regs stopped her and several men the same day.

The test is not nearly as easy as it sounds. Color has nothing to do with the stamina and brute physical strength required of our fire fighters. You either have it or you don't.

Let's not turn this threat started by a person from the East Coast into a racial issue when it is not.
It's a private forum, and you have the right to do what you want - but this IMO is an abuse of your position as a moderator.

You should either kill the thread or let it be, don't eliminate opinions you don't want to hear while simultaneously interjecting your own.

Frankly, your comments display a stunning ignorance of deeply-rooted race-based hiring patterns in Chicago.

The question is whether we've progressed far enough from those times to let the system "police itself" or not. I'm not saying I know that answer - but I do know that putting your head in the sand and pretending the history isn't real isn't the right way to go.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Wrong!

I beg your pardon! This thread title stated "hiring black firefighters." It has nothing to do with sports or black history or ghetto or social intercourse. But it does have much to do with hijacking a thread and crying "Wolf".

You say you want a civil discussion on race in Chicago. I personally don't believe it will happen, but I am not one to try to stop progress. If you think a handful of members discussing it in any forum is going to make any difference in a segregated town, sally forth.

Do start with what you know about black history in the 16th century because this is when the first black man was kidnapped in Africa and brought to the shores of what would come to be called America more than 200 years later. And don't forget the black slaves that existed 150 years before the Civil War. Before you start the thread it would be good to understand the slaves in the North were treated entirely diffrently than they were in South. And don't forget the black man who is credited with founding Chicago. There were many black families in America, and black men in Illinois long before Cook County or Chicago was even a consideration.

It wouldn't hurt to know the hsitory of gangs, or the history surrounding the large influx of illegals in Chicago. Do not forget about Malcom X or Dr. King.

Race relations in America for the most part is an unholy mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Once again, completely civil discussions about race are referred to as "train wrecks" by Lininx, Drover and others.. You know it's something that needs to be discussed if people don't want it to be discussed.

Last edited by linicx; 05-19-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I don't understand whats so hard about the story for you people to comprehend. The employees didn't do anything wrong.

"The ruling stems from a test given in 1995 that was intended to measure an aptitude for firefighting. After the test, anyone who scored 64 or below was deemed not qualified, but officials told those who scored above that number that while they passed, they would randomly hire the top 1,800 who scored 89 or better.

Because only 11 percent of the African Americans scored 89 or better, the overwhelming number of applicants hired from that test were white."
Since the hiring is completely random once the score requirement is satisifed, how is it discriminatory racially?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
You should either kill the thread or let it be, don't eliminate opinions you don't want to hear while simultaneously interjecting your own.

...........My comment was about a black firefighter -- the topic ... and why not all applicants are hired. It is not aways a question of color or level of intelligence.

Frankly, your comments display a stunning ignorance of deeply-rooted race-based hiring patterns in Chicago.

..........Do you really believe that? Do you really not believe that I think Chicago is not one of the most segregated cities in America?

The question is whether we've progressed far enough from those times to let the system "police itself" or not. I'm not saying I know that answer - but I do know that putting your head in the sand and pretending the history isn't real isn't the right way to go.
----------This thread got way off topic early when it launched into whitey and sports. The fact is there is not very many men like Larry Bird that could go toe to toe with the Michael Jordan's then or now.

My head is clearly not in your sand box, and members are not allowed to moderate through forum treads. Realize this.. most members are either not able, or they are not willing, to debate a hot potato topic on your level of discourse.

Last edited by linicx; 05-19-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, Lininx called it a train wreck. I guess you have never called any thread a train wreck and I shouldn't have put these words in your mouth. But of course, you have made it perfectly clear more than once you don't like "race threads".
What I don't care for is the obsessive need some have to keep picking at the scab. And the OP in particular has a habit of starting threads by walking into a forum, lobbing a grenade, and watching the ensuing chaos -- and not always about race either. Anyone who think the OP is sincere about wanting to "refer some friends" hasn't caught on to his/her MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago