Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you want good scotch and a wide selection of it, the place to go is Duke of Perth on the 2900 block of N. Clark. They have more varieties of scotch than many bars have bottles of liquor period.
That's what a call a BUDDY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you want good scotch and a wide selection of it, the place to go is Duke of Perth on the 2900 block of N. Clark. They have more varieties of scotch than many bars have bottles of liquor period.
Yep, that's the one... I've been there a few times even though I don't like scotch. If I remember correctly you can get "scotch flights" there for some variety.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Real good fish and chips as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
So, I guess that I need to go to Hackney's for a burger next time I'm in Chicago, which should be in less than a month; apparently, this restaurant has more than a few fans on C-D...

I can still recommend The Fireplace Inn for good ribs/barbecue, etc on North Wells, though...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Duke of Perth is definitely excellent.

Longman & Eagle is a great place for Bourbon, they have about 100 different ones (and about 30-40 types of Scotch). They keep 38 Whiskeys on their $3 shot list everyday, many of which will cost you twice that at other places. They also have Whiskey flights, so you can try a number of different Bourbons, Scotches, etc. in smaller portions.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
38 whiskey on $ 3/shot??
I foresee a few mornings on a bench in Millennium Park waiting for the headache to go away...

Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 AM

70 posts, read 96,438 times
Don't miss Pilsen while you are in Chicago. A hidden gem, read more here.

As far as restaurants go, here are a few choice spots:

West Loop/Restaurant Row
1. Girl and the Goat
2. Publican
3. Maude's
4. Sushi Wabi

Lincoln Park
1. North Pond

Gold Coast
1. Bistro Margot
2. Bistro Zinc
3. Hub 51 - rooftop is divine
4. Paris Club - haven't been here yet but have read great things.
5. Feast

River North
1. Cyrano's
2. Malnati's - best deep dish!

Downtown:
1. The Wit - more of a rooftop lounge but very fabulous at night
2. Cream Puffs at Beard Papa's at Block 37.

And I'm sure you've been to Millennium Park but it is a short walk from the South Loop and has a lot to offer each season; the Lurie Garden is a beautiful city garden, planted only with native species and alive with the song of birds; the outdoor Pritzker Pavilion built by Frank Gehry is always impressive and is the home of free music nearly every day of the week in the warm months; check out the new pedestrian Nichols Bridge built by Renzo Piano, which connects Millennium with the Art Institute; there are rotating displays of sculpture and art; the Cancer Survivors Park, just over the snaking BP Bridge abounds in gorgeous flower displays. The Chicago Cultural Center is right across the street at Randolph & Michigan. This place is great. It is a shining example of old Chicago Architecture (it used to be the city library), plus it houses free art displays, a cozy reading area with Chicago books for sale, a delicately designed Tiffany stained glass dome, and many other delights - all for free!

Have fun!

Last edited by RansackedMuse; 07-20-2011 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 AM

126 posts, read 207,892 times
No one yet has mentioned the tours with the Chicago Architecture Foundation. Chicago Architecture Foundation - Welcome - 312.922.3432
Maybe I'm branding myself a hopeless tourist, but that's what I do every time I get to Chicago. I've taken a lot of their walking tours, and the boat tour once, and several of their lunchtime or happy hour short tours, and never been disappointed. (Some of the happy hour tours end with a visit to a bar and drink coupons.)
And if you want to do the locals thing, get yourself a CTA pass and go where you want on the train. It's much cheaper than cabs. The pass, not the CTA card, gives you unlimited rides for a specific time.
One little known museum that's worth a visit is the International Museum of Surgical Science. https://www.imss.org/ It's a nice stroll up LSD, and you can see the whole thing in an hour or two.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM

49 posts, read 137,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
If you head up to Little Saigon Sun Wah BBQ and Tank Noodle are two great places.....
I have never heard people calling the argyle street/broadway area Little Saigon. It is called New Chinatown.
Tank Noodle is the most popular restaurant for Vietnamese food, Sun Wah BBQ for decent chinese food, and Furama for Chinese dim sum and cuisine.
If you have time, check out the Indian town on Devon avenue/Western ave.
Head over to Wilmette to see the majestic Baha'i Temple (only one temple in US of the 8 in the world), and stop by Evanston downtown for a visit.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenboy View Post
I have never heard people calling the argyle street/broadway area Little Saigon. It is called New Chinatown.
People call it both. If you have never heard it called "Little Saigon" then you must have selective memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago