U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,382,089 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am planning on relocating to Chicago when I'm done with school here in Michigan. I have friends and family in the city and have visited many times. But I still don't feel 100% comfortable in terms of my 'neighborhood knowledge' lol. Here's the deal- I will only be able to spend a maximum of $750-800 on rent. And I'd really like to stay under that if possible when I'm getting set up. I like Lincoln Park but know that in my price range it's probably too expensive for me. Could anyone tell me of a place that is comparable but a little more affordable? I won't be bringing a car so I need something very close to the transit lines. Any help you guys could give me is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 PM

312 posts, read 669,859 times
For what it's worth, when we moved here in 2006, we found a place in West town north of Humboldt Park and just west of California (I thought it WAS Humboldt Park but people here have informed me otherwise) for $800 and it was huge. The only problem is your best bet for transportation is the bus. Personally, I prefer the bus to the trains but I know a lot of people who don't.

One word of caution: if you look in that area, do not rent from M Fishman properties. They are a crappy management company and they will rob you with all kinds of hidden charges and unforeseen fees when your lease is up

Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,383,907 times
I'm sure you can find a studio on Lincoln Park for under 800.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,382,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I'm sure you can find a studio on Lincoln Park for under 800.
That is good to know. I was living in NYC so I can't believe prices could be so low in a prime location. I am super excited about moving there and cannot wait!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:51 PM

396 posts, read 868,436 times
Yea, I knew someone who had a studio around Linlcoln park (and less than a mile from the lake) for about $500 a month.

Just gotta look.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 PM

just watch out for the iphone killer!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM

59 posts, read 102,499 times
I just moved to Chicago last month and am currently living in Lakeview East (Boystown). I LOVE it so far! Walking distance to the grocery store, the lake, bars in Wrigleyville, etc. Plus so far I feel it's a very safe neighborhood. I'm a 25 yr old female so safety was an important factor for me.

If you do end up going with the Lincoln Park or Lakeview area, I recommend contacting Julie from Chicago Apartment Hunters. I worked with her to find a place when I moved and she was super helpful. I moved from Milwaukee and came down twice to look for places and both times she had 5 - 6 apartments lined up and drove me around. I never felt pressured into any apartment she showed me and had an overall fantastic experience with her. Plus - their services are FREE. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 PM

32 posts, read 29,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
just watch out for the iphone killer!

Not funny.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savalas View Post
Not funny.
I will take that under advisement from the guy who gets repeatedly banned but re-registers just to insult people. Is trolling this forum your way of self-esteem building?

It's hard not to think you're fighting some kind of Internet turf war from behind your computer and successive user names

Last edited by ole69; 05-15-2011 at 12:07 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,665,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
That is good to know. I was living in NYC so I can't believe prices could be so low in a prime location. I am super excited about moving there and cannot wait!!!

Good to hear about your move- I would ask your friends and look into areas near them.

Studio apartment would be the best way to go unless you want to share a space with a roomie

You will be an asset to the chicago area - i wish you all the best

Once you know where you will work I always encourage people to check out what the transportation will be like and do some mock runs
as the commute can be the worst part of your work day.

have you considered moving to a close burb? sounds like you have your mind set on the city but was just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: