Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olholm View Post
Okay thanks a lot I will then be looking some apartments in the west part of Chicago so it's possible reaching the I290 quite easy :-)
Be aware that the western sections of Chicago right along 1-290 can be somewhat dangerous and not well kept. You'd probably be better living downtown or just west of downtown, or out in Oak Park (the first suburb to the west of the city). Those areas tend to be a bit nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 19,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Be aware that the western sections of Chicago right along 1-290 can be somewhat dangerous and not well kept. You'd probably be better living downtown or just west of downtown, or out in Oak Park (the first suburb to the west of the city). Those areas tend to be a bit nicer.
Ahh sorry I think you've got me wrong was also thinking on the west of downtown :-) still want to live in the centre and not too far away since I'm bringing my wife and kid as well so have to be a safe place.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
UIC area south of 290 might be a good option.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM

258 posts, read 760,470 times
No, you have to choose the segment you want statistics for.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olholm View Post
Ahh sorry I think you've got me wrong was also thinking on the west of downtown :-) still want to live in the centre and not too far away since I'm bringing my wife and kid as well so have to be a safe place.
How old is your child? Are you looking to enroll your child in public school?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
No, you have to choose the segment you want statistics for.
Hmm okay I will try working this out and see if I can get the right one then :-)

Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
How old is your child? Are you looking to enroll your child in public school?
My child is only 2 months so no school yet :-) But will look for options of day care or play groups as well. But it's not planned my wife have to work in the beginning.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default No, service to Naperville has ALWAYS been to Union Station...

BNSF is via Union Station.

The UP-W line out of Ogilive serves town from Elburn & Geneva through Oak Park.

If you will be working in any part of Naperville and wish to live inside the Chicago city limits you should budget at least 50 minutes for the morning commute and approximmately 20% additional for the return in the evening. A "reverse commute" via the BNSF portion of the Metra commute rail line may be more pleasant, as you could sleep, read or work on the train, but even with rare shuttle bus service (which a handful of employers do have) your day would likely be even longer and you would have little flexibility for work hours which are often extended...

Naperville itself is a very walkable town -- your wife and child would have lots to do. Getting to the City on the weekend would be much more pleasant than fighting traffic every day.

I generally recommend that folks unfamilar with the commuting patterns in the region live as close to work as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I've done it before. Morning is actually not as bad as afternoons. Morning I would say 45 minutes give or take a few depending where in Naperville. Afternoons in the middle of winter and middle of summer are worse, probably an hour. If you live west of downtown, that could cut 10-15 minutes out of your trip. Plus if traffic is bad, you could exit the Ike (290) and take local.

METRA is a good option, but live close to a METRA station (Naperville used to go to Ogilvie in the West Loop). On the other end, see if you can park a car nearby or at the station. That way when you get to Naperville, just drive to work from the station (the station used to have a waiting list). If not, check to see if the company has a shuttle.

Last edited by chet everett; 05-16-2011 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I generally advise people seeking to live in the City, live in the City. It's much more pleasant.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default No argument, but some precautions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I generally advise people seeking to live in the City, live in the City. It's much more pleasant.

Agreed. Unfortunately the difficulty for those with school age children is that CPS makes no provisions in their lottery system for those relocating to have a shot at the desirable selective admissions schools. That leaves only the "neighborhood attendance" schools, few of which are desirable and all the good ones are in areas that are no shorter a commute / more costly / more crowded / no more entertaining than desirable suburbs...

Since the OP will be working in Naperville and does not have school age children perhaps the important consideration is what sort of time frame they have for their stay in the region and how their "checklist" of preferences might best be met -- in mmy mind if they are eager to get to know the area a short commute will give the whole family more time to do that.

Last edited by chet everett; 05-16-2011 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago