Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think lake perch are almost extinct.
Not necessarily. Most commercial Great Lakes fish have been reduced to the point where they are no longer commercially viable. However,

But, the point that prelude was making, why not have some cuisine that reflects our natural, ecological zones? Obviously pollution, overfishing, or whatever human impacts have an impact, but like prelude mentioned on the coasts you have regional dishes that are unique to those areas, and can't necessarily be as fresh elsewhere. Have you been to Fishermans Wharf?

Ethnic cuisine can be found anywhere that is large and cosmopolitan enough. Whatever ethnic food offerings that there are in a city, often have little to do with the city itself. Like Andrew mentioned, many of that foods can be found in the Twin Cities. A metro area that has the largest Somalian and the largest Hmong (similar to Laotian) populations in the country.

Also Madison and Milwaukee have a lot more ethnic cuisine that you might think. Theres a significant Mexican population on the south side of Milwaukee, a significant Italian-American and Polish American population in Milaukee, with the obvious huge German influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I lived in Madison and my wife has a lot of family in Milwaukee. Not even close in terms of ethnic options.

So what are you proposing as a local dish? I've already mentioned some local items in Chicago, smelt, other lake fish (which really are not all that interesting without a french or italian flair) ramps...

Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM

590 posts, read 1,013,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
What a small world, I have a lot of family that is from Trieste, I spent 3 months there several years ago. Glad you enjoy Chicago, Salute!
Really?? It really is a small world. Hopefully I am going back next yer to see family and friends.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, no kidding. A freaking frost advisory on May 16th??

At least it's climbed up to a skin-blistering 53 degrees today.
Got back to Florida Monday. Next trip to Chicago in May, we'll be packing foul weather gear! I could not beleive people were walking around in shorts & flip-flops! Had to skip Grant Park altogether and visibility from the Hancock was limited to the surrounding rooftops. Still loved the city and can't wait to return...when it's not 45 degrees and raining!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Yeah, this has been an absolutely brutal spring. We got an upper-80s/lower-90s tease for a couple days last week, but other than that it has been a very long, wet, chilly, suicide-inducing spring.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, this has been an absolutely brutal spring. We got an upper-80s/lower-90s tease for a couple days last week, but other than that it has been a very long, wet, chilly, suicide-inducing spring.
I thought today was a near-perfect Spring day weatherwise. But it's true, we've had far too few of them this year.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And why put down surfing?? Its a good physical activity. There are beautiful protected beaches and moutains all over there. You can explore tide pools and watch whales. You can't do that on lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is great, but it really is more like a super-wide, clean, swimmable version of the Mississippi river. Essentially used for transport of industrial goods, with no marine life and salt scent. And yes people can be vain and into themselves in their and appearance. But are you going to put down those who want to look good? Are you going to judge people because they want to be stylish and fit? So what if you want to prolong your youth a bit. If it makes you feel good then great.
I wasn't putting down surfing at all, and I certainly wasn't bashing the Pacific Ocean. I was (in a way too subtle for City-Data, apparently -someone remind me to stop doing that ) mocking people who (semi-consciously?) believe, for instance, that literally the entire population of the 'West Coast' (and they often include the inland West in 'West Coast,' if they bother to think of the former at all) goes surfing every day, or is at the very least a friend of Lindsay Lohan's. Such people tend to 'think' (an elevated term for the activity, I know) similarly stupid things about Chicago (and the select few other US/worldwide cities they're aware of).

Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I thought today was a near-perfect Spring day weatherwise. But it's true, we've had far too few of them this year.

Pretty windy though; I rode my bike down to 63rd St. and it was smooth sailing but coming back to 12th St. I had to pedal my fat Irish ass off.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Pretty windy though; I rode my bike down to 63rd St. and it was smooth sailing but coming back to 12th St. I had to pedal my fat Irish ass off.
I guess it depends on what part of town a person was in... I hung out in Lakeview and Lincoln Park along Halsted and Clark and all that, and it wasn't windy there at all. I did notice that closer to the lake it was chillier and pretty foggy.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Don't you think you are being a little judgemental here? Don't you think that is these kinds of post that incite the anti-Chicago trolls?

I very much beg to debate you on a couple things.

One of THE best and greatest things about Chicago, more than just about any other city in America is that is the most convenient for tourists to get the most of out, as everything that is of any tourist interest is concentrated and compact. Its much more visually stunning and requires little research to enjoy it.

I would go so far as to say that my barometer as to whether one is "worth investing five minutes to talk to" is one who is aware of the great things that ANY city has including the much hated rustbelt of southern sunbelt cities. Sure, they aren't as dazzling as Chicago, but anyone who can make the most of out a visit to metropolitan Detroit or greater Cincinnati has gotten my respect. Places like these require even MORE openmindedness, and often a map and rental car.

One can have a great time in Chicago, since everything is so compact and accessible that you wouldn't need great map and guide reading skills. This is neither good nor bad.

Now, I totally understand the criticisms of Hollywood and the entertainment/media industry. But not all of them are like Charlie Sheen.

I personally love LA. There are million things to do, but you have to really know how to get around to them. The number of museums are amazing. And I don't even care if I see a celebrity. However, I do respect the risks many of the took, and the dreams that many have of getting to that point. The high stakes world of entertainment and media is one that honestly gets my respect and can inspire anyones goals in life.

And why put down surfing?? Its a good physical activity. There are beautiful protected beaches and moutains all over there. You can explore tide pools and watch whales. You can't do that on lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is great, but it really is more like a super-wide, clean, swimmable version of the Mississippi river. Essentially used for transport of industrial goods, with no marine life and salt scent. And yes people can be vain and into themselves in their and appearance. But are you going to put down those who want to look good? Are you going to judge people because they want to be stylish and fit? So what if you want to prolong your youth a bit. If it makes you feel good then great.

Chicago is a great city. And I'm very happy that the OP had such a great time. But posts like this don't do any good.
I agree this is a great city to tour. I was stunned by Lakeshore Drive and the downtown layout as this is something that is never seen on TV. I was like this is Chicago! lol Also, it is easy just explore and discover. I did no research when I was tourist and I just found things and had a great time. I have not been able to do that in any other city as easily including New York. There is a lot there but you have to do some research to really get into the thick of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago