Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM

312 posts, read 713,034 times

Advertisements

18 minutes, and on a schedule! That sounds nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Have you considered Evanston? It's a suburb but has a pretty large downtown and is probably the most vibrant suburban downtown by far. Its on a different train line so you'd probably have to drive though. Not even sure how much time this would save.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
18 minutes, and on a schedule! That sounds nice...
19 minutes, bad math on my part averaging inbound/outbound times.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think many folks who have done commutes where "one phase" exceeds the magic 45 minutes will agree it sucks, when there are "multiple steps" and the total time for each morning and evening consumes more than two hours it goes beyond suckage into mental anguish.

At that point many people start to consider moving to another home or finding a new job.

I know DOZENS of people that went through that kind of thing -- maybe they tried a ten minute walk to a twenty minute El ride to another ten minute walk to a forty minute Metra ride to a fifteen minute bus ride. Maybe they switched out the first 30 minutes on the front end for a 20 minute bicycle ride and then a bicycle ride that washed with the shuttle on the other end. Works until you get soaked in a couple of rain storms... Maybe they carpool for amlittle, until their carmates get frazzled / find new jobs. Then they go to driving and the whole trip, including hunting for parking park in Wicker Park, is still just over an hour and ten moat morning, until winter hits and they get stuck in a few snow stomas and the trip from Deerfield to Bucktown stretches from 5:30 until nearly 9:00PM and then they whole reason for having cool places to catch a band or something seems impossible...

If we had better linkages with the various commuter lines, less harsh weather, more densely packed employers the options for city-to-bur might not be so hard to assemble a tolerable commute, but putting 12 hours into what is supposed to be a "job" leaves no time for "city living" in too many cases. Through in the fact that MOST suburbanites do have school age kids and little time for the kinds of "non kid friendly" pursuits and it is NOT EASY for somebody w/o kids to enjoy a suburban job...

Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 6,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Have you considered Evanston? It's a suburb but has a pretty large downtown and is probably the most vibrant suburban downtown by far. Its on a different train line so you'd probably have to drive though. Not even sure how much time this would save.
Hi JSK. I did consider that but I don't really believe there's that much incremental time savings. It's about 30-45 minutes from my office and apparently in traffic the drive to it is fairly rough. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkassum View Post
Hi JSK. I did consider that but I don't really believe there's that much incremental time savings. It's about 30-45 minutes from my office and apparently in traffic the drive to it is fairly rough. Thanks for the suggestion though!
You are totally right about that. I lived in Evanston for 3 years and while I loved it for a lot of reasons, it simply has no expressway access. Getting to the expressway always felt like it took forever. I didn't have to drive to work, so it wasn't an everyday issue for me, but for example, visiting my parents in St. Charles (another suburb with no expressway access) was just a total pain in the a**.

Plus, if that area of Glenview isn't doing it for you, I don't think downtown Evanston would either... The benefit to Evanston though is the purple line, which makes going downtown (even during non-rush hours since you connect to the red line) for fun pretty easy. Given that I work in the loop and the housing prices in Evanston have finally come down, if I could sell my house in Humboldt Park, I would move back to Evanston in a heartbeat, but that's cause many of my friends are still there. Oh, and my favorite restaurant, Tapas Barcelona... I could eat about 5000 of their bacon wrapped dates, yum.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Oh, and my favorite restaurant, Tapas Barcelona... I could eat about 5000 of their bacon wrapped dates, yum.
How do those compare to the chorizo stuffed dates at Avec?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago