Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 AM

994 posts, read 1,824,088 times

Advertisements

So there is not doubt Chicago's team is the Bears. I think then the following goes in popularity: Cubs, Sox (actually I think the Sox could easily fall behind the Bulls), then the Bulls and lastly the Blackhawks.

However, let's be honest. The Bulls are Chicago's most successful team. They have the most championships out any other Chicago team, and it the last couple decades, minus in the late late 1990's and early 2000's, the Bulls have always made it to the playoffs, played some great series, etc.

There was nothing like the Bears of 1985, but honestly have we really had such a good and memorable Bears team (with exception of our superbowl appearance a few years back) since then? Honestly, I love my Bears but we got lucky and did not deserve to be in the NFC championship this season.

Then there are the Cubs. As great as Wrigley is and the atmosphere, this team is very sad. I really try to be a good fan, but really, there just comes a point where enough is enough. They are really becoming a joke.

Then the Sox will always play second fiddle to the Cubs. Unless you are a sox fan, it's like the 2005 World Series is forgotten.

The problem with the Blackhawks is that, well, in general, hockey is the least popular sport.

So I can understand why the Bears team is Chicago's most popular team, however, I still feel like the Bulls should be right behind them, but the popularity of the Cubs over the Bulls really ANNOYS me. Granted that the Bulls continue their success (and hopefully get a championship this year), maybe even a new dynasty, do you think they can become Chicago's "team"?

Wow I just really ranted, but for me the Bulls are my team. Nothing like growing up in the 1990's and watching the Bulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM

6,893 posts, read 22,460,639 times
That's an interesting take on Chicago sports. Repeat 3 peat (yes, I still have my t-shirt) and I'd have to say as one that rarely attended games in person, I've watched more Bulls TV than any other team. I can't keep track of the football or the baseball on the field so these games seem very long to me. Living out of state/town for the last 8 years the times I get to see Chicago sports on TV is rare unless they play Atlanta or Charlotte. GO BULLS

Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM

818 posts, read 2,164,643 times
I feel like during the 90s, they were Chicago's team. I remember when 50% of suburban driveways had a basketball hoop up. Football, however, does seem to be more popular than any other sport right now. So, I think the basketball would have to become more popular relative to football, or Derrek Rose would have to prove himself to be the next Michael Jordan, and create the next Bulls dynasty for that to be again. All things equal, football has more fans.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:57 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,187,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
There was nothing like the Bears of 1985
I think Bulls 91-98 are just as big a deal. They didn't record a cheesy song, and Phil Jackson was much more low key than Ditka, but the city was just as into the team. The '85 Bears may have made a bigger bang at the time, but the Bulls championships run much deeper. For example - Michael Jordan is still seen as more of a symbol of Chicago than any player from the '85 Bears.

Quote:
Then the Sox will always play second fiddle to the Cubs. Unless you are a sox fan, it's like the 2005 World Series is forgotten.
That depends on where you live and who you hang out with. On much of the Northside the Cubs are certainly more popular, and the Cubs have many fans that are all over the country. Within Chicago as a whole though I think it is evenly split (I say this as a Northside Sox fan).

Quote:
The problem with the Blackhawks is that, well, in general, hockey is the least popular sport.
Yeah, the problem with the Blackhawks is the problem with the NHL. Hockey has never had the popularity of other sports, and the '94-95 lockout was a huge blow to the NHL as a whole. The creation of the IHL and AHL along with the success of the Wolves has also drawn off some support for the Hawks.

Overall I think it feels like Football gets more attention than Basketball due to the limited number of games. Each football game certainly gets more coverage and fan support, but basketball and baseball get longer and more sustained coverage and fan support. They're two different things.

I also don't see any need to declare a team "Chicago's Team" - they're all Chicago teams. To be honest I think it's a stupid thing that football teams like to push (i.e. the Cowboys calling themselves "America's Team" - it's all BS).

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
I feel like during the 90s, they were Chicago's team. I remember when 50% of suburban driveways had a basketball hoop up. Football, however, does seem to be more popular than any other sport right now. So, I think the basketball would have to become more popular relative to football, or Derrek Rose would have to prove himself to be the next Michael Jordan, and create the next Bulls dynasty for that to be again. All things equal, football has more fans.
Agreed. I don't expect the Bulls to really ever surpass Bears, unless the Bears became a horrid team for like a decade. Football is like the true American sport played nowhere else (okay maybe Canada but that's different).

However, what are your opinions of the Cubs being more popular than the Bulls?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM

537 posts, read 1,031,222 times
Quote:

However, what are your opinions of the Cubs being more popular than the Bulls?
Simple...

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > While Gap Narrows, Professional Football Retains Lead over Baseball as Favorite Sport

Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,159,016 times
I wonder where some of the polls are taken? I think baseball is more popular in the Midwest, but I could be wrong; I'm not an avaid sports fan.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I wonder where some of the polls are taken? I think baseball is more popular in the Midwest, but I could be wrong; I'm not an avaid sports fan.
Yeah I think geography has a lot to do with that. I mean in a place like San Fran I can imagine that Baseball and Football rule as opposed basketball for specific reasons (ehm, Golden State Warriors). In L.A. I can imagine that Basketball and baseball rule for specific reasons over football.

This seems to be a general poll I am more interested in Chicago specifically. Geography has everything to do with it. For example college sports are followed like crazy here in the Midwest, but on the West Coast not so much.

The fact is that the Cubs disappoint year after year, however they seem to be the second most popular team in the city (yes I know not everyone is a fan), while the Bulls, Sox and Blackhawks have proven a lot more and have been significantly successful. I am not attacking the Cubs, but I am just trying understand the reasons. I think for the Cubs to be as popular as they are is more cultural (the stadium, wrigleyville, drinking, etc) than actually being about the sport.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,053,664 times
Honestly I think the Cubs do so well mostly because of the location of the stadium. The team is historically a bad team, yet people support them. Being in Lakeview creates a very unique experience surrounding the ballgame and none of the other Chicago teams really have that at this point.

Personally Bulls were #1 for me (and I think most people) during the Jordan years. Beyond that that Bears generally trump.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,171,564 times
I never saw the 85 bears. I grew up with the bulls being the best team. And everyone my age thought so too.
Bulls are no.1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: