Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Ahem, this is sort of blue, so edit away if necessary:
I've heard worse on prime time television (2 and a half men).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post

Wait -- hold the phone. Someone please splain to me how this works. So you're not expected to drive after you're ticketed? Otherwise you're driving around without a license, non?
You have to use the ticket as your license.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I hadn't heard that joke before,not offended.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I've heard worse on prime time television (2 and a half men).
No kidding? I wonder what the context was. Anyway, this place sometimes doesn't get the leeway primetime network television is afforded.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
No kidding? I wonder what the context was. Anyway, this place sometimes doesn't get the leeway primetime network television is afforded.
Yeah, it's kind of too bad, in a way. Realistically, you could not just hint at obscenity, but actually recite the entire George Carlin list on this forum (or on prime-time TV, for that matter), and most people wouldn't find it intrinsically offensive (especially on a Chicago forum). But there are always a few who do get easily offended (and seem to even enjoy getting offended), and they tend to be particularly loud, shrill, and self-righteous about it. Oh, well. Anyhow, thanks for the chuckle this morning, ERS-One.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Stood at the Fullerton Red Line stop for 75 minutes waiting to transfer to the Purple Line...on a Sunday.

To my credit, it was two months before I moved here.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 AM

126 posts, read 207,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Stood at the Fullerton Red Line stop for 75 minutes waiting to transfer to the Purple Line...on a Sunday.

To my credit, it was two months before I moved here.
I did close to the same, but in the Loop on a weekday in the middle of the day. In order to catch the Brown Line I had to change sides of the station, which meant going out the exit and back in the other side. I was using a pass, which won't work at the same station more than once in about 20 minutes, so I ended up walking to the next station and boarding there.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
My first weekend here (which was only a few months ago), I was out at a bar in Lincoln Park with a few friends of mine (all Chicagoans)), and I asked the bar tender if he could put the Yankees game on one of the TV's (they were playing on FOX), there were only 20 or so people in the bar, and nobody was really paying attention so I didnt think they would mind. The bar tender asked if I was a New Yorker (I have a heavy NY accent ive been told), and the bar tender screamed to everyone "Hey! This guy is a New Yorker!!", everyone in the bar started chanting "New York Sucks, New York Sucks!"; this went on for a good minute....I bought the bar a round, and everything was fine. I now know not to advertise im a New Yorker here.
I'm pretty sure everyone was just joking around. In 10 years I've never heard anything about some New York rivalry or anything like that. People who have never been to either place seem to magically think there is one, but New York to Chicagoans is just New York. Most people love it, some people don't, but it's not something you should ever hide or think will pis$ people off

Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone was just joking around. In 10 years I've never heard anything about some New York rivalry or anything like that. People who have never been to either place seem to magically think there is one, but New York to Chicagoans is just New York. Most people love it, some people don't, but it's not something you should ever hide or think will pis$ people off
I completely agree, however, in my short time here, I have had a couple of friendly jabs about being from New York; all in good fun of course.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I completely agree, however, in my short time here, I have had a couple of friendly jabs about being from New York; all in good fun of course.
Which borough, just out of curiosity? My favorite New Yorker moment in Chicago was a group of Mets fans from Queens who sat behind me at Wrigley a few years back.

They were happy to have found someone who actually had been going to Cubs games for years (my first game was in 78), and I was pretty happy to hear some inside dirt on the Mets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago