Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense a little patronization there.

Just so you know who is giving you the info, I work in the trading industry, too, I spend the same amount on housing you do, I live in River North, I like to go out several times a night when I'm not working, and I alternately walk, take a taxi or take a bus to work and I don't have a car. You and I are probably very similar in what we want out of lifestyle.

And I'm not a bus fanatic, I just wanted you to know that if you rule out commuting by buses, you may be ruling out great parts of the city that still have short commutes to your office location despite being a relatively long walk to the subway/el. There are nice buildings in the eastern part of Lincoln Park that would take longer to walk to the El than to ride the bus to your office., and still have plenty of cabs 24/7. If you were focused on rail commutes, you might not consider them. I just want to make sure you know how Chicago works so you don't rule out good spots just for rail-proximity reasons.
Not at alll, like I said, I am not very familiar with Chicago, and am truly interested in hearing about hte city, and how the people live day to day.

I guess tone doesnt transfer well over the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Not at alll, like I said, I am not very familiar with Chicago, and am truly interested in hearing about hte city, and how the people live day to day.

I guess tone doesnt transfer well over the internet

I think the bus might have some connotation of being "low brow" in some cities. The less desirable neighborhoods might not have a train/subway line etc, so the poor people get shoved onto buses and everyone else looks the other way.

The buses here are used very widely by all sorts of people. If you can live near the EL thats great, but if not buses work pretty well. I don't exactly live close to the EL, but in the summer I walk there because its only 10-15 minutes and I like the exercise. In the winter there is a bus stop 50 feet from my door that takes me right in front of my office so I tend to use that at times

Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Traffic is not nearly as bad in Chicago as it is in some other cities. Getting on a bus in Boston or NYC frequently means just sitting stuck in traffic. That can make it worth walking a few blocks to get on the subway. Some Chicago bus routes are through bad traffic, but the majority get you where you're going relatively easily.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM

I didn't mean this thread to come off as being "anti-bus", I have ridden the bus before afterall, I grew up in New York, and basically took the bus/subway from age 0-28. My issue is more around timing, I am a move your A$$ type of person, and HATE waiting.

As somebody mentioned, traffic may not be as bad in Chicago as NY, because the traffic here is god awful. on top of that, it seems every bus that comes by on most routes in Manhattan is so packed with people you cant even get on it, and the next bus is the same story.

Now, the subway is pretty much the same way, but at least you MOVE once your on it. Cabs can go in and out of traffic but busses need to stay in the "bus lane".

Old 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM

I just drove through the Lincoln Park neighborhood with a friend I know here, it really is a great looking neighborhood. Armitage and Halsted has some great looking spots. Is this area active late at night?

We are going to eat at Luxbar tonight, am told that neighborhood is great, is that considered Gold Cost?

Great looking city, glad the sun is shining

Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
I just drove through the Lincoln Park neighborhood with a friend I know here, it really is a great looking neighborhood. Armitage and Halsted has some great looking spots. Is this area active late at night?

We are going to eat at Luxbar tonight, am told that neighborhood is great, is that considered Gold Cost?

Should be, Gold Coast goes south to I believe Oak St. There area ton of bars/restaurants right along Halsted in the two blocks between Armitage and Webster

Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:

Glad you like the area. The area around Armitage and Halsted is pretty active at night. Plenty of bars etc. Youre a short walk from Lincoln ave which has a ****-ton of bars. Also for what its worth Alinea is near by, which is consistently ranked one of the best restaurants in the world. Lots of shops, nice little area really.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Default Streeterville, Gold Coast and food

I think you will find one of these meets or even exceeds your expectations. This is a very nice overview of the communities. http://communities.pioneerlocal.com/...unityguide.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Co...cago,_Illinois)
Magnificent Mile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was raised on corn fed Black Angus and I traveled extensively. I like to think my palate is nicley developed. I never ate bad food in Chicago, although once in a while I did find food I simply didn't like. Chicago has something akin to 6000 restaurants and hundreds of small neighborhoods in which to find a bite to eat and liquid refreshments - a rare few are open until the wee small hours of the morning - except maybe on weekends.

NYC has its roots in the early 15th century when Native American. Dutch and English shared the vast land. Chicago came into being until the the 19th century. Chicago's roots are solidly Midwest. It is impossible and unfair to attempt to compare the two cities.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think you will find one of these meets or even exceeds your expectations. This is a very nice overview of the communities. http://communities.pioneerlocal.com/...unityguide.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Co...cago,_Illinois)
Magnificent Mile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was raised on corn fed Black Angus and I traveled extensively. I like to think my palate is nicley developed. I never ate bad food in Chicago, although once in a while I did find food I simply didn't like. Chicago has something akin to 6000 restaurants and hundreds of small neighborhoods in which to find a bite to eat and liquid refreshments - a rare few are open until the wee small hours of the morning - except maybe on weekends.

NYC has its roots in the early 15th century when Native American. Dutch and English shared the vast land. Chicago came into being until the the 19th century. Chicago's roots are solidly Midwest. It is impossible and unfair to attempt to compare the two cities.
Great post. I have been in the Chicago for about 72 hours now, and must say the food I have had has been great. I consider myself to be a bit of a foodie (food snob) as my other half is a Chef. Have done a few of the standard Chicago establishments this weekend, went to Portillo's for lunch today on Clark and it was quite good (though the actual restaurant is a little cheesey), Had Lou Malnatti's (sp?) pizza yesterday it to was great (not on par with a good slice in NY though

I am all set up to look at a place on Goethe and Lake Shore Drive tomorrow and also on Dayton and Webster, I drove by both intersections, and they seemed great to me....Is there anything I may be overlooking that I should be aware of in regards to those two areas?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Quick Question:

I looked at a 2bd 2bth apartment on Stone St (Stone and Goethe), it was an awesome place with nice views of the lake, however, I am a bit concerned this area may not be ideal for a 28 year old male.
I walked around the neighborhood, and while the homes are beautiful, there doesn't seem to be a "buzz" going on. State Street a bit south was nice and seemed to have restaurants and bars, but is this an area a younger crowd would hang out? it is hard to tell on a Monday Morning.

Also, what are some of the good restaurants in the area? I saw there was a PJ Clarks nearby, I think that is a NY based pub, pretty good food. Anything else worth checking out in the 'hood?

Any advise is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago