Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Quick Question:

I looked at a 2bd 2bth apartment on Stone St (Stone and Goethe), it was an awesome place with nice views of the lake, however, I am a bit concerned this area may not be ideal for a 28 year old male.
I walked around the neighborhood, and while the homes are beautiful, there doesn't seem to be a "buzz" going on. State Street a bit south was nice and seemed to have restaurants and bars, but is this an area a younger crowd would hang out? it is hard to tell on a Monday Morning.

Also, what are some of the good restaurants in the area? I saw there was a PJ Clarks nearby, I think that is a NY based pub, pretty good food. Anything else worth checking out in the 'hood?

Any advise is appreciated.

There are a bunch of bars on Division that get a *ton* of traffic on the weekends. Then once you go down Rush and State there are a lot more bars and that area is hopping at night too.

In terms of age, there are lots of young people in the area, but it's not only a young crowd. You will see middle aged people out too. I think the Gold Coast has an average age of like 32ish. You'll quickly figure out which bars the younger crowd hangs out at.

Tons of food in the area, Gibsons is one of the most beloved steak houses in Chicago. Carmines is solid Italian, Chi-town pizza is nearby but thats mainly for the drunk crowd. I think its actually NY style... Where you looked is extremely residential, if you go a couple blocks south that changes quickly and there is a lot to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
There are a bunch of bars on Division that get a *ton* of traffic on the weekends. Then once you go down Rush and State there are a lot more bars and that area is hopping at night too.

In terms of age, there are lots of young people in the area, but it's not only a young crowd. You will see middle aged people out too. I think the Gold Coast has an average age of like 32ish. You'll quickly figure out which bars the younger crowd hangs out at.

Tons of food in the area, Gibsons is one of the most beloved steak houses in Chicago. Carmines is solid Italian, Chi-town pizza is nearby but thats mainly for the drunk crowd. I think its actually NY style... Where you looked is extremely residential, if you go a couple blocks south that changes quickly and there is a lot to do.
thanks for the reply...couple questions:

1. Gibsons and Carmines look good, what are some of the better "everyday" food options in the area? Like if I wanted take out?

2. How are the Dominiks market on Division and the Treasury Island? Looking for something "whole foods-ish" in terms of markets.

3. Would I need to walk down to state and Division to catch a cab? are do they frequent the neighborhood directly north of there?

Any other information on the neighborhood would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:

1. Gibsons and Carmines look good, what are some of the better "everyday" food options in the area? Like if I wanted take out?

2. How are the Dominiks market on Division and the Treasury Island? Looking for something "whole foods-ish" in terms of markets.

3. Would I need to walk down to state and Division to catch a cab? are do they frequent the neighborhood directly north of there?

1. You will have endless take out/delivery options in that area. Almost any food imaginable.

2. Dominicks is a standard grocery. Treasure Island is a local grocer that has a nice selection of international foods. There's a Whole Foods at 30 E. Huron.

3. You won't have trouble finding a cab in the area.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

1. Not totally sure offhand to be honest since I don't live in the neighborhood. You obviously have subway, chipotle and all those places in the area. You can also order takeout from McFaddens and PJ Clarkes and most of the bars/pubs in the area. There are a couple Chinese places too.

2. No idea. Never been to that Dominicks, maybe someone else has. Treasure Island is probably more up your alley. There is a Whole Foods at State and Huron, probably not walkable with groceries but its a quick cab away.

3. You might be able to find a cab wandering down Astor now and then, or pick one up when others are getting dropped off, but generally you'll just walk to State and Goethe. There are always cabs running up and down state.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:

I recently sold my condo a few blocks from where your looking (Goethe and State) and here is my advise based on your questions:

1. There area isnt going to have the options you are used to in New York, but there is a fair amount of options. The area between Division and say Oak has a large amount of chain restaurants (Chipotle, Corner Bakery, et), but there are a few good options for Thai, Chinese, etc. There is a Giorodano's on Rush that will deliver when you get the craving for a pizza. Wells has some good options for food.

2. The Dominiks on Division sucks, I would avoid it The area around Sedgwick and Division has a pretty suburban feel to it.. However, I am not one to shop at Jewel (the other "big" grocery store) or Dominiks, but the Jewel on Division is much closer. As somebody else said, Whole Foods is not too far away, and Treasure Island is a good option, both are pricey, but less than what your used to in New York (which has the most expensive grocery stores / Markets I have ever seen).

3. You can catch a cab at State and Goethe, cabs rarely go down Stone, which is a very small residential side street.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 224,591 times
Quote:
Great post. I have been in the Chicago for about 72 hours now, and must say the food I have had has been great. I consider myself to be a bit of a foodie (food snob) as my other half is a Chef. Have done a few of the standard Chicago establishments this weekend, went to Portillo's for lunch today on Clark and it was quite good (though the actual restaurant is a little cheesey), Had Lou Malnatti's (sp?) pizza yesterday it to was great (not on par with a good slice in NY though

I am all set up to look at a place on Goethe and Lake Shore Drive tomorrow and also on Dayton and Webster, I drove by both intersections, and they seemed great to me....Is there anything I may be overlooking that I should be aware of in regards to those two areas?

Regarding pizza...i'm married to a New Yorker, (we've had the chicago vs NYC pizza argument for years lol). If you get a chance and feel like exploring a different neighborhood, trying Michaels Pizza (on broadway, just a few blocks north of Irving Park Rd). its a sports bar atmosphere with amazing pizza- my hubby loves it!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback....I signed a lease on an apartment today, it's mine as of June 1 but I wont move in until the 15th or so. Just a few questions I would like feedback on:

1. I rented a car while I am out here because I had some business to take care of in Rosemont. It got me thinking, would it make sense to buy a car and keep parked in a garage? My company offers free parking in our building (in the loop) and since I work off hours it may be easier than cab/subway. It may be handy for Costco trips, etc as well (cant believe Chicago has a Costco so close to the city! amazing!). I know every situation is different, but do many people drive here?

2. What are some of the beach towns that Chicagoans flock to on the weekends in the summer to get out of the city? I will be having some friends visit, and I would like to find a rental for a long weekend on the lake. Nothing too nature oriented, just a place to rent a boat, drink, dock at a bar.

3. Is it possible to rent a rooftop across from wrigley? Has anyone done that?

Thanks for all the help/advise.

Oh yeah, do liquor stores not deliver in Chicago? I called a liquor store near my hotel yesterday to deliver a bottle of vodka, and they acted like I was crazy. just thought that was unusual

Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for all the feedback....I signed a lease on an apartment today, it's mine as of June 1 but I wont move in until the 15th or so. Just a few questions I would like feedback on:

1. I rented a car while I am out here because I had some business to take care of in Rosemont. It got me thinking, would it make sense to buy a car and keep parked in a garage? My company offers free parking in our building (in the loop) and since I work off hours it may be easier than cab/subway. It may be handy for Costco trips, etc as well (cant believe Chicago has a Costco so close to the city! amazing!). I know every situation is different, but do many people drive here?

2. What are some of the beach towns that Chicagoans flock to on the weekends in the summer to get out of the city? I will be having some friends visit, and I would like to find a rental for a long weekend on the lake. Nothing too nature oriented, just a place to rent a boat, drink, dock at a bar.

Oh yeah, do liquor stores not deliver in Chicago? I called a liquor store near my hotel yesterday to deliver a bottle of vodka, and they acted like I was crazy. just thought that was unusual
1. A fair amount of people do drive here. The traffic can get hairy but driving within the city is still generally faster than waiting for a bus/train. I sold mine and don't miss it at all, but everyone is different. I view it as a pure cost thing, car payment + parking + insurance adds up. I just use cabs and its still cheaper overall.

2. Lake Geneva is popular pretty popular. Some people go up to Wisconsin (not me really) others go to Indian or Michigan. I think Beverly Shores, Michigan City, and St. Joseph get tourists.

3. Yes you can rent out those rooftops though I've never done it personally so I don't know the cost. I've always gone with my company when we rent them. They generally include an open bar in the package for wine/beer.

I don't know of any booze stores that deliver. I first experienced that in South Caroline a few years ago and was shocked by it. I also love it.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:

First off, congratulations and welcome!

1. A car is your call. Free parking downtown is definitely nice. Does your apartment include parking or do you need to rent that too? There are plenty of zip cars for use around town for those costco visits!

2. SW Michigan is about a 2 hour drive and very nice. Towns like Saugatuck, South Haven, St. Joseph are easily accessible and on Lake Michigan. The inland from the Lake Michigan are countless smaller lakes with homes and rentals.

3. Absolutely you can rent those roof tops. It's expensive and I don't know the actual prices.

Don't think you can have liquor delivered in Chicago, but not certain. I've never done it.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
First off, congratulations and welcome!

1. A car is your call. Free parking downtown is definitely nice. Does your apartment include parking or do you need to rent that too? There are plenty of zip cars for use around town for those costco visits!

2. SW Michigan is about a 2 hour drive and very nice. Towns like Saugatuck, South Haven, St. Joseph are easily accessible and on Lake Michigan. The inland from the Lake Michigan are countless smaller lakes with homes and rentals.

3. Absolutely you can rent those roof tops. It's expensive and I don't know the actual prices.

Don't think you can have liquor delivered in Chicago, but not certain. I've never done it.
Thanks, I am excited to move to Chicago. I am a New Yorker to the core, but it is nice to experience a different city.

My company pays for parking for all employees working overseas hours, it is sort of a "use it or loose it" situation. My new place has a garage spot for rent starting in July for $225 per month, which seems fair. just need to determine if it is worth it.

thanks for the advise on SW Michigan, Ill have to do some research. Anything can be delivered in NY, I have had everything from Liquor to laundry delivered to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago