Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times

Advertisements

ss gator you would be wise to move after you had a job
how is the job market is a broad question

what skills do you have
do you have a masters degree
or a skilled trade?

the job market acrosss the country is lousy at best

however i think Illinois unemployment rate is below the natl average

hang in there times will get better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM

11 posts, read 19,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
what skills do you have
do you have a masters degree
or a skilled trade?
I will graduate law school next May with my JD and MBA, and my bachelor's degree is in Marketing. I have worked at a legal aid office and this summer I am interning in the legal department of a corporation. In addition, I am not confining myself to traditional legal careers and would be open to other positions within a company (such as HR). Even though I am educated (and have at least some practical work experience) the job market here in FL is pretty rough.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
If you like South Florida weather, you'll hate this weather here. Period!
I for one couldn't imagine living in South Florida in the summertime. In the winter it might be nice, but I once spent ten days in Fort Lauderdale in June. Yuck! Big mistake.

Quote:
The people are also not that friendly: yeah, they may be friendly as a facade but they don't really want to be your friends. You won't notice this right away, but you'll learn this soon enough. People here are as cold as the weather.
I have to say that there is at least some truth to this. When I first moved here, it seemed people were so friendly that I thought I was going to have a whole new circle of friends within a month.

Well, it didn't really work out that way. People are superficially friendly, yes, but you soon learn, as a newcomer, that friendliness doesn't necessarily mean friendship. It takes as much time and effort to make real friends here as it does anywhere else.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I for one couldn't imagine living in South Florida in the summertime. In the winter it might be nice, but I once spent ten days in Fort Lauderdale in June. Yuck! Big mistake.

I have to say that there is at least some truth to this. When I first moved here, it seemed people were so friendly that I thought I was going to have a whole new circle of friends within a month.

Well, it didn't really work out that way. People are superficially friendly, yes, but you soon learn, as a newcomer, that friendliness doesn't necessarily mean friendship. It takes as much time and effort to make real friends here as it does anywhere else.
What happened that it didn't work out? Example? Just curious.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Gator View Post
I will graduate law school next May with my JD and MBA, and my bachelor's degree is in Marketing. I have worked at a legal aid office and this summer I am interning in the legal department of a corporation. In addition, I am not confining myself to traditional legal careers and would be open to other positions within a company (such as HR). Even though I am educated (and have at least some practical work experience) the job market here in FL is pretty rough.

A JD/MBA will help a ton I think. Being open to careers outside of traditional legal will help as well as a lot of firms still aren't hiring these days. My friend just graduated Northwestern Law and he said that a lot of his classmates still haven't been able to line anything up.

Overall for the right skillset the job market isn't all that bad in my opinion.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Chicago is an awesome City at half the price of the big coastal cities. What are yoiu looking for?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 17,789 times
Some of the posters don't seem to like big city life, so why they'd move to a big city is beyond me. I disagree that it's just a big grey concrete jungle. Chicago is one of the greenest big cities, mayor Daley spent a fortune of taxpayer dollars on beautification.

Yes, the weather in the winter sucks, but it sucks everywhere in the north. The summers in Chicago make dealing with the winters bearable. Nothing beats a Cubs game on a Friday afternoon in June or running on LSD with all the people and activity. Plus, you have all the concerts, shows and cultural things that make a big city what it is. Try a picnic with a bottle of wine at sunset at Pritzker park and tell me you don't love Chicago.

The thing I dislike the most about Chicago isn't the city at all (well, besides the parking meters and taxes!), but rather the midwest. There's not a lot outside of Chicago to do. No skiing, mountains, etc... if that sort of thing is important to you.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,243 times
Chicago is great depending on what you like. I was born and raised him and I am trying to move out of Chicago.

Chicago is beautiful and fun. There is always something to do. I do think people are pretty friendly here and I don't think the friendliness is fake...but maybe I just feel that way because I grew up here.

If you are single with no children...the city life can be pretty fantastic to say the very least. I feel like Chicago is the best of the city life at half the price, a more beautiful sceenery and yes we have Lake Michigan...which is worth more than words.

So I think you should do it....in the case that you end up not liking it you can always move back or some where else.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM

396 posts, read 925,570 times
Quote:
I've found born and raised mid-westerners to be very cold and distant. As a matter of fact most of the friends I have here are from other parts of the country or foreigners. I've always found it very hard to make friends with native Chicagoans/mid-westerners. Maybe it's just me, but I know many non-native people who live here that have the same impression.
I kind of agree with this.... but this is true of alot of places. EX: You'll find the coolest people in LA aren't from there. Transplants are easier to befriend because they too are looking for new friends in an area they aren't familiar with. People who have lived in Chicago or whatever for all of their life already have an established circle of friends and as you get older, its harder to maintain connections with all of them, let alone new ones.

OP, just move to a crowded swanky part of town and room with people then you can form a social network. Don't worry about having problems meeting people. If you really want to meet people, get creative (take a language class, join a dodgeball league, etc).

Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 PM

51 posts, read 57,067 times
Quote:
Don't do it! I did the same thing 4 years ago (from Miami to Chicago) and I regret the crap out of it!! The weather here is miserable as you can't even begin to imagine! Once past the honeymoon phase (about 1 1/2 years), where you try to convince yourself you don't mind the weather, you'll eventually surrender and hate it with all your guts! Don't make my same mistake...forewarned is forearmed....
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago