Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,607 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 20 year old male who looking to move to a place on Humboldt BLVD, a block near Armitage. I have heard mixed reviews about the area. In Humboldt Park i heard it was a bad area in general but has been getting better. I have been told the area that i am looking at, is safe for the fact that it is becoming "Logan Square". Can anyone give me a little more info?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I just moved here a few months ago, and I live just a short walk west of that area on Armitage. You will find many people who say that's a bad spot, but I have walked through there many times during the day and found nothing bad to say about it. The night may be different...

I would give that area consideration though, especially if you have no family or anything to worry about. I was actually considering moving into an apartment on Humboldt Park in that area. Good luck in your move, and be safe.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,607 times
Thanks for the reply,

The area i looked at looks like a safe neighborhood to me, but i have only checked it out once. I've heard that humboldt park is really bad when you go more south and west, but i want to make sure that i was moving into a good area. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,620 times
it's the further west and somewhat south you go in humboldt park the worse it gets. it's generally not too bad around where you're mentioning, but it's not edgewater or even roger's park for that matter. there is wiothout a doubt gang activity.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
It depends what you consider to be safe? I believe humboldt park had the most murders last year of any chicago neighborhood. Including higher than neighborhoods like englewood and east garfield park. In general, Humboldt Park has an extremely high number of murders connected to rivaling gangs. Large parts of Humboldt park is rival gang turf. I lived in humboldt park / logan square for a number of years. Almost any chicago neighborhood is safe to live in, if you don't have to rely on public transit and you don't have to do any walking around alone outside late at night. I personally did not do much if any walking around late at night when I lived over there. I always parked my car in my alley garage attached to my place. And my place was totally secure. If you fit into this category you will be fine in humboldt park. Or any dangerous chicago neighborhood for that matter.

But, if you want to take the bus and catch the EL at all kinds of crazy late night hours. Then walk home by yourself in the middle of the night fairly often. Expect to encounter a lot of thugs, hobos, and drug addicts. Also, prepare for some uncomfortable or perhaps even scary moments while walking alone in that neighborhood at night. It's the kind of neighborhood where someone can easily get robbed, or even worse walking around alone at night. If this is you then you might want to move to a safer neighborhood. Also make sure that your unit is secure and doesn't have a problem with break ins.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-23-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM

312 posts, read 713,034 times
I lived on Humboldt blvd between north and armitage for a year and as long as you aren't totally oblivious to your surroundings, you'll be fine. I've been told by people on here that this area isn't even considered humboldt park (despite the boulevard name), but west town. I agree that it starts to get sketchier as you head west and south of there.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I live a bit East of there and am in that area frequently at all hours. It's not a bad area, there are some gangs in the area but the isn't over run by them. Head South and West and things get much sketchier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
I've been told by people on here that this area isn't even considered humboldt park (despite the boulevard name), but west town.
It's Logan Square. Once you get South of Bloomingdale it becomes West Town or Humboldt Park (depending on which side of Humboldt Blvd. you're on).

Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 AM

9 posts, read 25,213 times
Look for something close to the California or Logan Square blue line and you will be set. Great neighborhood, safe, and the train is right at your doorstep to take you anywhere you want to go.

The Armitage area can get kind of sketchy past Kedzie.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarspicy View Post
Look for something close to the California or Logan Square blue line and you will be set. Great neighborhood, safe, and the train is right at your doorstep to take you anywhere you want to go.

The Armitage area can get kind of sketchy past Kedzie.
Ya know, people have been saying this a lot, but I just don't see it. Than again, I spent most of my adult life working in Detroit... Ugh!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 AM

312 posts, read 713,034 times
I'd say it doesn't start getting sketchy until West of Central Park, but it's a matter of degrees, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago