Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
But it is the city's concern. Having every troublemaker in CPS out wandering the streets year round would certainly raise some problems.

I do agree that it is one of the main reasons it's hard for CPS to be successful, and also retain good students. Something has to be done with them, and just throwing them in jail will make them bigger thugs than they already are.
Jail is definitely not the answer, so why not put them to work doing the kinds of lousy jobs we reserve for people on work-release?

I'd think a few weeks would go a long way towards learning the value of an education.

This is the problem with framing education as an entitlement as opposed to framing as an investment and a social compact.

Nobody is entitled to be educated by society, as it places the burden on the wrong party, and as we can't actually force people to comply.

It's no different than the same way nobody is entitled to be a virtuoso, even though society may very decide it is a good investment to provide everyone to at least some period of musical instruction and an instrument during their school years.

I agree with Tom it's just unsustainable for society to take a class of 28 kids (and a paid municipal employee) and waste their time catering to that one or two who just can't **** and behave.

Some call it "throwing them under the bus," but I'd say it's a free country, and if some kids insist on throwing themselves under the bus, that's part of the deal of having freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
At what age do we throw them out? Many of them act up as early as elementary. I think we can all agree it's not just because the kid is a "bad seed" You can't throw 11 year olds out on their asses can you? Are we suggesting 16?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
At what age do we throw them out? Many of them act up as early as elementary. I think we can all agree it's not just because the kid is a "bad seed" You can't throw 11 year olds out on their asses can you? Are we suggesting 16?
Don't focus on an age, focus on *extreme* bad behavior.

You may not know what is really going on in the worse schools at CPS - I saw boys in 7th grade literally grabbing girls and fondling their breasts when I was subbing around the west side.

If there was an 11 year old in a class with my daughter behaving that way you can bet I'd want them removed from class - (editing) - no, we can't just put them out on the street, but I see no problem with giving kids an option that is more labor-intensive. The reality I saw is a lot of these kids would be far better off blowing off steam than being boxed in a small room and an uncomfortable desk.

Let's be frank about what we're trying to retrofit here, the entire model of a big-city American classroom leaves a lot to be desired across the board, as it has its roots in the Industrial Revolution and breaking the spirits of immigrant kids so they'd be better little factory drones. No joke - I learned that in Education classes at college, it's well documented.

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 05-25-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 03:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Removed from general matriculation, perhaps, but expelled from school at 12 or 13 with no other means to get oneself even the most basic of educations? That doesn't seem destined to change anything for the better.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Removed from general matriculation, perhaps, but expelled from school at 12 or 13 with no other means to get oneself even the most basic of educations? That doesn't seem destined to change anything for the better.
I can't speak for the original posters, but I think the idea is more that these kids would be put in something more labor intensive until they demonstrate that they understand why they were removed from school and exhibit some desire to actually get an education.

Seriously, some of the children in our school system are just more of a problem than any teacher can possibly handle. I have a friend who is a CPS teacher and she has a boy in her class that defecates in his pants nearly every single day. She teaches middle school, btw, and NOT special ed. This kid is in a regular CPS classroom. There's just no way a single teacher is equipped to handle issues that run this deep, and this child obviously does not care about learning anything.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
But it is the city's concern. Having every troublemaker in CPS out wandering the streets year round would certainly raise some problems.

The city's concern but not the school system's. One problem at a time; we can fix the schools by getting rid of the bums and we should, then we worry about the jerks now being on the streets.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:

Let's face it; there's not going to be any better life for most such people in any event. At least prevent them from dragging down the entire system.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Default Not every neighborhood can be Lincoln Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Logan Sqaure or other marginal places like Pilsen, Rogers Park and Uptown are one thing, but you really can't compare them to the war zones on the south and west sides. The drivers for change simply aren't there and those places will never even partially gentrify unless some truley radical and probably controversial moves are made.
If you consider Logan Square a marginal place then it's no wonder that you consider the south and west side to be a war zone and have no hope for large chunks of Chicago.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you consider Logan Square a marginal place then it's no wonder that you consider the south and west side to be a war zone and have no hope for large chunks of Chicago.

It's pretty much textbook, lots of nice areas and good blue line access. I really like the 'hood and most of the areas have even more room to improve, but still pretty gangland on the western edge (an area with little hope because of poor el access). It's a neighborhood on the margin between endless crap south and nicer hoods south and east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago