Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,975 times

Advertisements

My wife (expecting a child) and I are in our late 20's and considering purchasing a house a bit north of Irving Park and west of Kimball. We love the house but worry about the neighborhood. We are spoiled now b/c we rent a 2-flat in a wonderful part of west lakeview/north center. As of late, I have been up and down the area day and night. The area is predominately Hispanic and seems a bit run down. My questions are: How significant is the serious crime and gangs? Is this a good/safe place to raise children? How far west do you foresee the commercial reality (it seems to have halted at Sacramento) moving? Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
"Serious crime and gangs" is not significant but it is there. Central Park is pretty much the dividing line between the "nice" part of Irving Park and the "meh" part. But "meh" is about as bad as it gets.

New commercial development is sporadic at best -- as you can see, there are a whole lot of vacant storefronts along Irving Park. That is not going to change any time soon, and once it does, it will probably be moving east from the Blue Line rather than continuing west from Sacramento. That said, there are some hidden gems tucked amongst the ragged storefronts, and discovering them is one of the simple joys of living in the area.

Raising children... well, if you've got the coin to put them in private schools, go for it. Otherwise, don't count on CPS delivering a quality product, not even at the elementary level.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I would really be surprised if it does not make more sense to rent instead of buy in such a situation.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmckenna View Post
My wife (expecting a child) and I are in our late 20's and considering purchasing a house a bit north of Irving Park and west of Kimball. We love the house but worry about the neighborhood. We are spoiled now b/c we rent a 2-flat in a wonderful part of west lakeview/north center. As of late, I have been up and down the area day and night. The area is predominately Hispanic and seems a bit run down. My questions are: How significant is the serious crime and gangs? Is this a good/safe place to raise children? How far west do you foresee the commercial reality (it seems to have halted at Sacramento) moving? Thank you in advance
Perhaps you should look somewhere else, because if your concerns are Hispanics and that it's run down (which it is not dangerous or run down) then I think you need to go somewhere like Edison Park or Sagaunaush. I am not saying this area is super safe, but really what neighborhood is completely and totally safe?

I think there are better neighborhoods to raise kids in, but there is nothing wrong with this area either.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Unfortunately, stuff like this does happen once in a while in the neighborhood. It's no Englewood but it's no West Lakeview either.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Serious crime and gangs" is not significant but it is there. Central Park is pretty much the dividing line between the "nice" part of Irving Park and the "meh" part. But "meh" is about as bad as it gets..
which part is bad east of Central Park or west??

Quote:
New commercial development is sporadic at best -- as you can see, there are a whole lot of vacant storefronts along Irving Park. That is not going to change any time soon, and once it does, it will probably be moving east from the Blue Line rather than continuing west from Sacramento. That said, there are some hidden gems tucked amongst the ragged storefronts, and discovering them is one of the simple joys of living in the area..
I do not get it. West from Sacramento is the same as East of Blu line (Irving park station).

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmckenna View Post
Which one are you considering? I guess since you are looking in Irving park you are not willing to spend more then 300K, otherwise bought in Northcenter or Lincoln Square.
Are you looking at this one?
4129 N Ridgeway Ave
CHICAGO, IL 60618
Seems like a great location with Tony's right there. Great grocery store.

Did you look at this one? seems like a nicer location and low taxes for such a great lot
3742 N CENTRAL PARK Ave
CHICAGO, IL 60618

I was curious about this one. We already bought a house, otherwise I would have considered it.

This looks like a great house too.
3857 N CENTRAL PARK Ave
CHICAGO, IL 60618

PS: Too bad you got spoiled by renting in a nice area. We live in Northcenter (still rent). But it is kinda foolish to assume that this is the area that you should get used to, unless you want to rent till the end of your days, or spend 500K+ on a nice house there

Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Perhaps you should look somewhere else, because if your concerns are Hispanics and that it's run down (which it is not dangerous or run down) then I think you need to go somewhere like Edison Park or Sagaunaush. I am not saying this area is super safe, but really what neighborhood is completely and totally safe?

I think there are better neighborhoods to raise kids in, but there is nothing wrong with this area either.
+1
We live in Northcenter right now. And there are two houses across the street. They seemed to be forclosed. I thought they will never sell them. The property tax is 16k there. And not nice lots at all. but somehow, one of them it is now occupied with really strange people. This people put some kind of wierd ritual stuff on their steps, like glasses with some liquid (red , food in plastic plates..
They put buckets and floor mops on their front porch, they keep a dog in the pit in the ground that adjoins basement patio. That dog is being "walked" right there with all the stuff right there. This dog barks terribly and it is very disturbing. We keep calling police but nothing changes.
All sorts of people come to the house late at night. Now, I would have probably not cared if they were selling drugs. They seem to be of no disturbance...
But this dog!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
which part is bad east of Central Park or west??
Neither part is really "bad" by urban living standards. But the more desireable part is west of Central Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I do not get it. West from Sacramento is the same as East of Blu line (Irving park station).
West from Sacramento is not the same as east from the Blue Line. My point is that if commercial redevelopment ever picks up along Irving Park, it would most likely be anchored near the Blue Line stop rather than resuming (such as it is) westward from Sacramento.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, stuff like this does happen once in a while in the neighborhood. It's no Englewood but it's no West Lakeview either.
That was a gangmember from the southside.

That gang is trying to set up shop in the Albany Park area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago