Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM

103 posts, read 224,071 times

Advertisements

yea good idea. im sure its safe to say that during cubs game days zero spots will exist. im probably better off in a diff neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,959,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
yea good idea. im sure its safe to say that during cubs game days zero spots will exist. im probably better off in a diff neighborhood.
Not quite. The zone parking means that people who want to go to the cubs games can't park on your block. The city will ticket and tow anyone who does not have a sticker that matches your zone.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 AM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not quite. The zone parking means that people who want to go to the cubs games can't park on your block. The city will ticket and tow anyone who does not have a sticker that matches your zone.
That depends. It varies from zone to zone, but typically the restricted parking is only in effect for certain times of day, like evening and night hours.

Near Wrigley, most of the time the prohibition is for night games only. During day games outsiders can park on the streets to attend the game. Again, it all depends on how the signs read on your particular block.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,398,149 times
One general annoyance of mine here that isn't permit related but is fine related is street sweeping. In a lot of cities, signs will be posted on one side of the street telling you not to park there on odd-numbered Tuesdays for example. This is done so that people understand which day every 2 wks the street cleaners need you to stay out of their way.

Not so in Chicago. Here they put up orange placards 2-3 days in advance of street cleaning. There were times when I know they put them up the night before they came through. If you're like a lot of people in dense areas, you may not be able to park on the street where you live, you may not use your car but once a week or so, and you may not walk by the street where your vehicle is parked on the way to the el, etc. When you go out for your weekly grocery run, it's pretty common to realize the street cleaners came through 2 days earlier and you've been nailed for a $50 ticket. Those tickets have a way of piling up.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,171,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
One general annoyance of mine here that isn't permit related but is fine related is street sweeping. In a lot of cities, signs will be posted on one side of the street telling you not to park there on odd-numbered Tuesdays for example. This is done so that people understand which day every 2 wks the street cleaners need you to stay out of their way.

Not so in Chicago. Here they put up orange placards 2-3 days in advance of street cleaning. There were times when I know they put them up the night before they came through. If you're like a lot of people in dense areas, you may not be able to park on the street where you live, you may not use your car but once a week or so, and you may not walk by the street where your vehicle is parked on the way to the el, etc. When you go out for your weekly grocery run, it's pretty common to realize the street cleaners came through 2 days earlier and you've been nailed for a $50 ticket. Those tickets have a way of piling up.
Residential is done on a monthly schedule, just as you described. There may not be signs up, but you can find the schedule for your zone here (http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/streets/provdrs/san/svcs/street_sweeping.html - broken link). Arterial streets aren't covered by the schedule, and you should always be careful if you're parking on a main street like Western or Ashland.

If you're lucky enough to live in the First Ward you can use this service.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Residential is done on a monthly schedule, just as you described. There may not be signs up, but you can find the schedule for your zone here (http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/streets/provdrs/san/svcs/street_sweeping.html - broken link). Arterial streets aren't covered by the schedule, and you should always be careful if you're parking on a main street like Western or Ashland.

Thanks for the link, that's a new one - last I heard was frustrated people wondering why such a schedule couldn't be made public.

Maybe we could take the people who put up the street sweeping signs and get them re-trained as police!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM

14 posts, read 25,449 times
Hmm. I'm in northern lincoln park, and my friend is coming to visit in a couple weeks... Should I be worried about buying her a parking pass? Is there a relatively inexpensive way for her to park for the weekend, then use CTA after that?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,959,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdink View Post
Hmm. I'm in northern lincoln park, and my friend is coming to visit in a couple weeks... Should I be worried about buying her a parking pass? Is there a relatively inexpensive way for her to park for the weekend, then use CTA after that?
Yeah if she parked somewhere where it is free and took the bus. I would just buy her a guest parking pass if needed. It is $8.00 for 15 of them. She could park all weekend long provided you keep changeing the pass daily. (i.e. each pass gives you 24 hours).

Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,398,149 times
Quote:

That's an improvement over when I didn't have off-street parking a few years ago, but it's still pretty weak notification compared to most urban areas I've been to. One could easily live at the boundary of 3 different wards where parking is scarce, which would force you to park at different times in 5 or 6 zones within a quarter half mile of home.

So the solution would be to print off three different maps and three different zone schedules, and shuffle through them every time you park if you aren't a daily driver. At least the info is available I guess, but permanent street signage (however expensive it may be) would be preferrable for car owners.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 28,378 times
Quote:

How do I know what ward/zone I'm in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago