Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,871 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Chicago area from North Carolina (new job, I'm an engineer) and will be working in Aurora, very close to the Naperville 59 Metra stop on the BNSF line.

I am single female, 26, and want to live in the city but want to minimize my commute time. The BNSF line starts at Union Station but I'm not sure I could find/afford somewhere close to it? I've been told Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, maybe South or West loops would be good locations? Any suggestions? I could spend $800+ and am looking to have a roommate. Don't need a sparkling fancy apartment building with a concierge but I do want a nice clean place that isn't a shoebox and isn't falling down around me! And what's the best way to find a young professional roommate? Should I look for someone that already has a place... or find a place and then find a roommate?

Any suggestions are helpful! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,585,708 times
If you have a room mate, you shouldn't have a problem with the $800 budget. You may want to live in the west loop near Union Station.

Now, I'm not sure how to find a room mate. I haven't had room mates in a looong time.

PS - Cue Chet Everett recomending OP live in a suburb.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,821,742 times
West Loop, Greektown are good choices. With express trains, you'll get there faster than many commuting from suburbs.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,070,940 times
Well, in this case, Chet would have a point.

Since there aren't any express trains on reverse commutes on Metra, you are looking at a min 45 minute train ride. Once you arrive at Rt. 59, you will be surrounded by acres of parking and a few townhomes. So you are either walking around 20-30 minutes to walk somewhere 'close', or you'll then have to transfer to a Pace bus.

Then you'd have to factor in the time spent getting to Union Station - which will really limit you to the eastern most parts of the West Loop if you want to make this entire commute doable. Then you'd have to find someone looking for a roommate who can spend no more than 800/month within a few blocks of union station.

Its going to be tough.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM

367 posts, read 1,201,181 times
Yeah, much will depend on making sure your work schedule is compatible with the train schedule. There is one real good evening inbound express train that leaves Route 59 at 4:58 pm, and a worse one at 4:33 pm. Assuming your working hours are compatible and you have a good way to get between the Route 59 train station and your job in 30 minutes or less, then this is downright reasonable. But if you have to take the local train back into the city every day, your life will hurt.

You definitely want to live a short walk from Union Station. You will be limited to mid rises and high rises, but the area is safe and you will have plenty of rentals to choose from. Your budget will be tight but possible with a roommate, and there are a lot of other professional singles your age around there, so I bet you could find a roommate easily.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM

537 posts, read 1,030,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Well, in this case, Chet would have a point.

Since there aren't any express trains on reverse commutes on Metra, you are looking at a min 45 minute train ride. Once you arrive at Rt. 59, you will be surrounded by acres of parking and a few townhomes. So you are either walking around 20-30 minutes to walk somewhere 'close', or you'll then have to transfer to a Pace bus.

Then you'd have to factor in the time spent getting to Union Station - which will really limit you to the eastern most parts of the West Loop if you want to make this entire commute doable. Then you'd have to find someone looking for a roommate who can spend no more than 800/month within a few blocks of union station.

Its going to be tough.
There is an office park just south of that stop, one of the business's being SMC. Since they OP is an engineer, it's possible they work there.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,070,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
There is an office park just south of that stop, one of the business's being SMC. Since they OP is an engineer, it's possible they work there.
I've taken the train to 59 a few times, and all I remember is the gigantic parking lot, wide roads, and ridiculous setbacks for the one and two story offices around the area. But looking at the aerials, I think I see the offices you're talking about.

Still, not a walk I'd probably want to make every day. Especially in the winter...I wouldn't bet on them clearing those sidewalks quickly.

So potentially doable. Still, I think finding a roommate won't be as easy as others seem to think in the part of West Loop she would need to be.

But if you can pull it off...

Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,033,597 times
Default If the schedule works this is far from the worst situation for a reverse commute...

Assuming the OP's work location is somewhere near Liberty St & Commerce that is marginally walkable from the Rt 59 station. In bad weather it would sure be nice to have a buddy to pick you up for the leg into the office / drop you at the train, but it is schelpable... (not to mention the goose poop that coats the walkways most times of the year thanks to no longer migratory Canadian Geese).

The total time is not too horrendous. If you get an outbound train at 7AM you can be in the office by 8AM. If they let you knock off at about 5PM you will have right around a 12 hour day with the commute legs. Assuming that you don't mind so much of your time spent commuting at least the BNSF is mostly reliable enough that you won't get fired and you will have a seat so you could do work or sleep...

Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Schedule

Personally I would worry that the expectations of the new job will include some late hours, and there are relatively few trains that would not really make you into a total vampire when the Chicago region is at its light deprived winter worst. To each his own.

I would NOT want a lengthy journey to / from Union Station so I would concentrate on the West Loop, Greek Town, South Loop and maybe peek at stuff near UIC or River North. Those are areas are a big step down from the prime post college social scene in Lakeview or Lincoln Park, but extending your days into 14 affairs with ccommuting would probably not be smart way to start career...

The Reader still has a section for roommates, my hunch is that you will not find a whole lot of people that eager to have a roomy that basically just gets home in time to brush teeth and can't tolerate the apartment being other than sleep inducingly silent before Late Night ends due to need to early AM commute times, but maybe there are others that don't mind heading out 40 miles or so to work every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat B View Post
I am moving to the Chicago area from North Carolina (new job, I'm an engineer) and will be working in Aurora, very close to the Naperville 59 Metra stop on the BNSF line.

I am single female, 26, and want to live in the city but want to minimize my commute time. The BNSF line starts at Union Station but I'm not sure I could find/afford somewhere close to it? I've been told Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, maybe South or West loops would be good locations? Any suggestions? I could spend $800+ and am looking to have a roommate. Don't need a sparkling fancy apartment building with a concierge but I do want a nice clean place that isn't a shoebox and isn't falling down around me! And what's the best way to find a young professional roommate? Should I look for someone that already has a place... or find a place and then find a roommate?

Any suggestions are helpful! Thank you so much!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,051,576 times
West loop is probably your best bet. If you live too far from Union you're going to have to take a bus train to Union, then the metra out. Timing that could be a pain in the butt and it would add another 10-20min on your commute.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 8,871 times
Well, I will be working in the office complex just south of the 59 Metra (N Commons Dr).

Any chance I can leave my car out in Aurora for driving to the office and back? Not sure if they allow you to park overnight at the train station...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago