Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
I am a guy who just turned 30 a few months ago and I live near the edge of the city and don't feel strange at all. Part of it may be my family background, both of my parents married later, my mom was 30 and my dad was 36 and this was back in 1978 and they didn't even have kids right away, I was their first child when my mom was going on 33 and my dad going on 39 when I was born. My paternal grandfather was 35 when he got married way back in 1941. So I seem to be going down the same path as my paternal line, when they were my age my father and his father hadn't even met the woman they would marry yet.

I know for women there is still a little more pressure for biological reasons but still I know a number of 30 year old women and attractive ones at that which are not married yet, I just don't see the big deal. I live on the edge of the city and both of my neighboring households have guys about my age that are single, on one side a guy in his late 20's living with his parents, my neighbors on the other side have a 35 year old single son living with his parents. Of course there are always examples of people in their 20's who are married and have children but really in this day and age in my experience people are all over the map in terms of when they get married and have kids. On the contrary I would find a place where my situation is considered unusual to be the weird place. Lastly I have always found life to be easier when you don't give a damn what and when other people do things and what others may think about. I do what I want to do when I want to do it and not based on some cliche of what I should be doing or where I should be living at a certain age. I am not referring to the OP of this thread but I do notice that there are a lot of threads on this forum which ask the question "would I be considered strange if I did X or was Y in Chicago" or "how much money should someone my age be making in Chicago, how much money do I need to make to feel normal in Chicago" to those questions my answer always is why should you give a damn? If you are happy living the way you are and like Chicago then just move here and live how you want and to hell with what other people think. For such a supposedly enlightened and individualistic society there are way too many people out there that are concerned about being conformists.

Beyond that I cringe when I hear transplant yuppies say that Chicago is great for young single people in their 20's, I mean its great that they like it here but the implication is that they don't see themselves settling down here and that is something as a city we must address. As far as I am concerned Chicago is for the young, old, married, single, kids and everything in between, the very notion that Chicago is best for only a certain age or socioeconomic demographic is as far as I am concerned is simplistic, conformist and ultimately anti-Chicago.
I think you tend to see older children living with their parents more so in the city than the suburbs. More ethnic neighborhoods, closer proximity to activities, and the fact that the neighborhoods in the city have a mix of everybody leads to this more than the suburbs.

The suburbs aren't as ethnic with ethnic values, it is farther for late 20 somethings or 30 somethings to go to activities from the burbs, and the belief the suburbs are more for families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,993 times
To the OP:

Are you the same person from this thread over on Yelp?

Chicago's 30's dating scene: are there still single men or are they all married?? | Chicago | Yelp

Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM

381 posts, read 842,426 times
Unless you're a serial killer, child kidnapper or still live with your parents I think you're okay. Forget age "checkpoints."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago