Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 AM

400 posts, read 957,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
A few make overs and a 6 flat going up doesn't exactly constitute any significant sign that Rogers Park is turning around anytime soon, sorry!

Liking the El vs bus is completely subjective, so I guess that is a win for you and you alone. RP is still miles and miles farther from Wrigley. My preference would be to choose the bus over the urine scented red line from Howard any day, but that's my subjective preference.

The shooting over the top? I completely agree, it's absolutely insane, yet it still absolutely happened in Rogers Park. It doesn't really matter if you believe it or not, but it doesn't take a far stretch of the imagination to know that shootings in Rogers Park are not uncommon. I have a few more stories about shootings in Rogers Park that would make this one seem normal.

There are plenty of areas in Chicago that have "Good rapid transit options like the EL and Metra" that I, and many others wouldn't want to spend much time in. The west side has the green and blue lines, very convenient, but you wouldn't catch me dead venturing into some of those hoods, just like I'm not going to be spending much time hanging around Howard. Morse is not as bad as Howard, but ironically the shooting above happened a few blocks from the Morse EL stop.
Yes liking the EL over the bus is completely subjective. However I dont know many people that moving anywhere because of a cool bus line.
Being by the EL is alot more interesting AND being by the lake/beach as well. I think many many people dont even know how cool the beach in Rogers Park is. And liking any neigbhorhood over another is completely subjective as well.

Mentioning one supposed crime incident is going to make one neigbhorhood worse than another? Hmmm. Atleast put crime statistics down for both neighborhoods so that we arent being subjective. Bad things happen in every neigbhorhood

A bunch of failed condo conversion foreclosures are being bought up and fixed up as well, yeah, I guess thats boring but its happening. The large triangle building at Rogers and Touhy intersection is being fixed up and so are 2 large apt buildings on Fargo by Paulina. I guess you dont follow what happens in Rogers Park, but it keeps moving in the right direction. More good tenants are moving into the 415 condo building in South Evanston on Howard right by the Howard EL stop.

I would hardly lump the north end of the red line in with the worst of the green or blue line. I know that shootings have decreased near the morse stop. And atleast now that are occuring further west by ashland. Is this progress? Yes because they were further east previously.

Rogers Park's future is tied to Uptown's and the infamous Wilson stop is getting a 135 million dollar makeover. Money is being invested in the northside neighborhoods by the lake. Rahm Emmanuel is a northsider mayor, THANKGOD.

Looking at census data you can see why NOH is not the safest neigbhorhood but even that area is improving. Census data does show Rogers Park moving in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Rahm Emmanuel is a northsider mayor, THANKGOD.

As much as I disagree with various policies here and there, that is truth. Daley was just completely effing clueless about the North Side, planters in major streets like Ashland being my "nuff said" evidence.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 PM

170 posts, read 391,561 times
2 wounded in separate shootings on North, South Sides - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Earlier Saturday, another male was reported wounded in a shooting on the Far North Side in the city's Rogers Park neighborhood, officials said.
A call came in about 11:50 a.m. alerting police about the shooting on the 7600 block of North Bosworth Avenue, said Police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli.
A person was taken to Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston in a private vehicle, Mirabelli said, after suffering two wounds, to the stomach and one to his head.
The man is 21 years old and in serious condition at Saint Francis Hospital, Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer said.
and this was earlier this year..

Boy Injured in Rogers Park's Third Shooting in Three Days | NBC Chicago

rogers park has and always will have shootings..if you can handle that, then i suggest you move there instead of irving park

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post

rogers park has and always will have shootings..if you can handle that, then i suggest you move there instead of irving park
Or you could stay the **** out of the Juneway Jungle, which is where the one happened.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post

Thanks for sharing a few examples. I think peoe need to be reminded from time to time about things that actually happen in different areas, vs the personal perception of crime.

I'd respond to XX by saying, yes, what people like in a hood is subjective, but crime stats aren't. It's easy to say things like 'it can happen everywhere', or 'it's not bad, you just need some street smarts', or 'safety is all about perception', but if you truly compare the difference in stats you'll clearly see what the differences actually are.

Can a shooting happen in Eddison Park? Sure it can, but judging from levels of shooting, your a whole lot more likely to catch a bullet in Rogers Park, and that's a fact. Before anyone starts saying we're talking about Irving Park and not EP, it was an extreme example to illustrate a point.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing a few examples. I think peoe need to be reminded from time to time about things that actually happen in different areas, vs the personal perception of crime.

I'd respond to XX by saying, yes, what people like in a hood is subjective, but crime stats aren't. It's easy to say things like 'it can happen everywhere', or 'it's not bad, you just need some street smarts', or 'safety is all about perception', but if you truly compare the difference in stats you'll clearly see what the differences actually are.

Can a shooting happen in Eddison Park? Sure it can, but judging from levels of shooting, your a whole lot more likely to catch a bullet in Rogers Park, and that's a fact. Before anyone starts saying we're talking about Irving Park and not EP, it was an extreme example to illustrate a point.
Well comparing Irving Park to Rogers Park in general is hilarious.
So yeah lets see the stats, and yes the shootings did happen in the worst part of Rogers Park. Shootings by me have stopped recently.
I know there is less crime than Irving Park,
but I think its ridiculous to tell one bullet story and then say
yeah RP is a hole.

I would compare Rogers Park to how Venice, CA used to be.
And Venice still has its problems. Rogers Park is still improving and is further behind Venice, because it doesnt have movie stars, the pacific ocean and perfect weather, but it does have alot going for it.

So how likely are you to catch a bullet in Rogers Park?
Still not that high....
How hard would you have to work to catch that bullet?
Pretty hard, you would have to purposely put yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. You would have to be out late at night inbetween
a bullet and a target. Yeah like that song. Most gunfire in RP
is gangbangers shooting at each other. So dont hang with the bangers
and dont hang out at deserted areas late at night like the park
and 99.99999 percent of the time you will be fine.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Well comparing Irving Park to Rogers Park in general is hilarious.
So yeah lets see the stats, and yes the shootings did happen in the worst part of Rogers Park. Shootings by me have stopped recently.
I know there is less crime than Irving Park,
but I think its ridiculous to tell one bullet story and then say
yeah RP is a hole.

I would compare Rogers Park to how Venice, CA used to be.
And Venice still has its problems. Rogers Park is still improving and is further behind Venice, because it doesnt have movie stars, the pacific ocean and perfect weather, but it does have alot going for it.

So how likely are you to catch a bullet in Rogers Park?
Still not that high....
How hard would you have to work to catch that bullet?
Pretty hard, you would have to purposely put yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. You would have to be out late at night inbetween
a bullet and a target. Yeah like that song. Most gunfire in RP
is gangbangers shooting at each other. So dont hang with the bangers
and dont hang out at deserted areas late at night like the park
and 99.99999 percent of the time you will be fine.
Dude/Dudette, this whole topic is about comparing Rogers PArk and Irving Park, so why bother even entering the discussion if you think it's "ridiculous"? I could tell more "bullet" stories, but why bother when it fall on deaf ears? Glad to hear shootings by you have stopped recently... I never had to deal with that problem in Irving Park.

So apart from the fact that Venice CA. use to be like Rogers Park because it use to have higher crime, it's actually nothing like Rogers Park because Venice has "movie stars, the pacific ocean, and perfect weather"... lets not forget the hot chicks walking around in bikinis, an array of out door activities...

The shooting I mentioned earlier not only happened between 7 and 8pm, but hit someone who was not a "gangbanger", even though it was intended for a gangbanger. Another shooting I know about happened at noon as a busy cross walk. I cant tell you how many stories I've read in Chicago about how some kid, mother, aunt, grandmother... got hit by a bullet in passing, that was meant for some "gangbanger"... I'm going to guess that the little girls and the grandmothers weren't hanging out with the Latin King's at the time.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM

183 posts, read 338,972 times
The bad sections of RP are north and east. N of Touhy and East of about Damen (and including Damen). Morse St E of Clark is an icky exception. However there are beautiful enormous Victorian SFHs on Morse, Lunt, and Greenleaf E of Ridge with alot of pedestrian traffic to and from the Metra stop. I walk this area every evening in the dark and do not feel unsafe.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Dude/Dudette, this whole topic is about comparing Rogers PArk and Irving Park, so why bother even entering the discussion if you think it's "ridiculous"? I could tell more "bullet" stories, but why bother when it fall on deaf ears? Glad to hear shootings by you have stopped recently... I never had to deal with that problem in Irving Park.

So apart from the fact that Venice CA. use to be like Rogers Park because it use to have higher crime, it's actually nothing like Rogers Park because Venice has "movie stars, the pacific ocean, and perfect weather"... lets not forget the hot chicks walking around in bikinis, an array of out door activities...

The shooting I mentioned earlier not only happened between 7 and 8pm, but hit someone who was not a "gangbanger", even though it was intended for a gangbanger. Another shooting I know about happened at noon as a busy cross walk. I cant tell you how many stories I've read in Chicago about how some kid, mother, aunt, grandmother... got hit by a bullet in passing, that was meant for some "gangbanger"... I'm going to guess that the little girls and the grandmothers weren't hanging out with the Latin King's at the time.
Well more nonspecific info on shootings. Thats fine.
But Rogers Park is cooler in summer when its hotter inland.
We do have some cute coeds at Loyola.
Well no ocean, but lake michigan is all right,
really Rogers Park does have a sort of Venice vibe.
Thats where the weirdos hang out at the beach in LA.
We dont have muscle beach, but we do have some work out stations
and people do come to the beach for that purpose.
RP has weirdos you must admit...

Venice did have alot of shootings in the past and alot of drug problems.
Thats why I mentioned it. Rogers Park has less shootings and drug issues today,
but yes they are still present but diminishing. When Section 8 becomes less common you will see less crime.

Hey I figured why not join such an improbable discussion?
RP versus IP will likely never be pondered again.... I hope

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well more nonspecific info on shootings. Thats fine.
But Rogers Park is cooler in summer when its hotter inland.
We do have some cute coeds at Loyola.
Well no ocean, but lake michigan is all right,
really Rogers Park does have a sort of Venice vibe.
Thats where the weirdos hang out at the beach in LA.
We dont have muscle beach, but we do have some work out stations
and people do come to the beach for that purpose.
RP has weirdos you must admit...

Venice did have alot of shootings in the past and alot of drug problems.
Thats why I mentioned it. Rogers Park has less shootings and drug issues today,
but yes they are still present but diminishing. When Section 8 becomes less common you will see less crime.

Hey I figured why not join such an improbable discussion?
RP versus IP will likely never be pondered again.... I hope
3 Teens Shot on Rogers Park Street, Including 13-Year-Old Boy (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/crime/teens-shot-rogers-park-pratt-blvd-13-boy-shooting-20110913 - broken link)

Man-killed-in-Rogers-Park-had-turned-his - Chicago Sun-Times

Teen shot, critically hurt in Rogers Park - Chicago Breaking News

Man in serious condition after Rogers Park shooting - chicagotribune.com

2 wounded in Rogers Park shooting - Chicago Tribune

Boy Wounded In At Least The Third Shooting In Rogers Park This Week « CBS Chicago

- Chicago Sun-Times

Rogers Park shooting on Juneway Terrace ~ Chicago News Report | Chicago Crime | News

And I didn't even make it to page 3 of google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago