Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

... sunshine we've received this month. And its official, too... this is the sunniest October in 35 years according to Tom Skilling. We normally average about 60% sunshine this month, so 88% is not only a huge deal, but its put us above the sunniest city in the USA (Yuma, AZ). Of course this could all change, so enjoy it while you can!

Also, Tom Skilling stated this has been one of the least humid months on record. Last week we saw humidity levels of 20%, and by mid week they had plummeted down to 13% at Midway Airport, which tied a record dating back to the 1960s.

So, what have you been doing to enjoy this perfect weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:32 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Definitely been some great weather! Warm and dry (exception being today and Oct. 2-3). The anomaly that lead to the weather over the past week or so is an air mass that originated largely in the hot and dry regions of the desert Southwest and Mexico. These types of air masses, sometime refereed to as Continental Tropical (cT) rarely reach Illinois, and especially rarely reach Chicago. Typically, our warmer air comes straight north from the Gulf of Mexico. These warm air masses are refereed to as Maritime Tropical (mT), and are much more muggy, and form more clouds and storms. This is the difference between the weather at the 2010 Chicago Marathon, and the weather at the 2007 marathon, that had to be cut short and lead to a death.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
It is funny as soon as you post this the temp cools off.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:34 PM

157 posts, read 363,347 times
sweating my non existent balls off. My apartment turned off the a/c and turned the heat on. Everyone is dying. I curse this heat and long for snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
... sunshine we've received this month. And its official, too... this is the sunniest October in 35 years according to Tom Skilling. We normally average about 60% sunshine this month, so 88% is not only a huge deal, but its put us above the sunniest city in the USA (Yuma, AZ). Of course this could all change, so enjoy it while you can!

Also, Tom Skilling stated this has been one of the least humid months on record. Last week we saw humidity levels of 20%, and by mid week they had plummeted down to 13% at Midway Airport, which tied a record dating back to the 1960s.

So, what have you been doing to enjoy this perfect weather?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
sweating my non existent balls off. My apartment turned off the a/c and turned the heat on. Everyone is dying. I curse this heat and long for snow!
Are the owners or management from California?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM

no kidding.

as you probably already know there is a law that has to be followed. a couple weeks ago (as you know) it got into the 40's therefore the building is required to turn off the a/c when temps are at a certain point at a particular time of the day.

I thank Jesus for the cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Are the owners or management from California?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
no kidding.

as you probably already know there is a law that has to be followed. a couple weeks ago (as you know) it got into the 40's therefore the building is required to turn off the a/c when temps are at a certain point at a particular time of the day.

I thank Jesus for the cool!
The law has to do with the temp inside the building and apartments. Not what the temp is outside.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM

when it did get into the 40's a couple weeks ago it was pretty frigid inside, but I would MUCH rather layer up and turn on the electric blanket than to sweat b's inside with no breeze (i am on the southwest side of my building)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The law has to do with the temp inside the building and apartments. Not what the temp is outside.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
I hear ya. Same situation in my highrise. They did switch the heat off, but never turned the A/C back on, and my apartment was as hot as an oven for several days. So hot I had trouble sleeping, and I took only tepid showers... couldn't face using hot water. My unit faces south and I did have the windows open, but that didn't help much.

I'm so glad it's cooler/more seasonable now and my apartment has finally cooled off. There was cooler air in the hallway (building's common areas are on a different system) so I finally resorted to propping my door open a few inches (while I was home, of course) creating a draft so the cooler air could seep in and cool things down.

I don't much care for hot weather anyway... prefer it mild to cool. I start sweating right around 72 degrees or so.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
the almost non existent rain (some today) has been pretty awesome since about mid August actually. I am hoping all the sun and late heat makes for a mild winter. They are predicting more snow than usual, so that should mean higher temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago