Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,558,587 times

Advertisements

I am wondering! In NYC, where I was living, it was considered completely acceptable. But I'm wondering if Chicago is different, being a Midwestern city and all. As a single woman in her early thirties would I be in good company? Or is it still as marriage-centric as I suspect it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM

312 posts, read 710,221 times
It is totally unacceptable. We drag anyone who isn't married and child-bearing by the age of 35 behind our tractors while we drive to the corner store for some non-ironic PBR and some "pop" for our children.

Seriously, having lived a long time in both cities, the attitude is about the same. Chicago is no more a "Midwestern" city than New York is a "Northeast" city. I find both to contain similar amounts of cosmopolitan (diverse) attitudes, unless you seek out narrow minded people (which is very easy to do in both cities as well).

Old 06-06-2011, 03:26 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,585,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
It is totally unacceptable. We drag anyone who isn't married and child-bearing by the age of 35 behind our tractors while we drive to the corner store for some non-ironic PBR and some "pop" for our children.
LOL!

Many many people in Chicago are unmarried at that age and even older. You will not be ostracized.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,392,992 times
This is much more common in Chicago than the rest of the Midwest, that's for sure. People generally won't give a hoot whether you're married or not. The pace is just too fast and there's just way too many people & opinions in this city for it to matter to most. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am wondering! In NYC, where I was living, it was considered completely acceptable. But I'm wondering if Chicago is different, being a Midwestern city and all. As a single woman in her early thirties would I be in good company? Or is it still as marriage-centric as I suspect it is?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,051,576 times
Yes. Its very normal. Hell its actually weird if you're married at a young age in the city.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,900,109 times
Very normal to be in your 30s and single in Chicago. Similar to NYC. The rest of the NE and the rest of the Midwest are not as similar in that regard, but they are similar to each other that it is more odd.

Lotta 30 something singles in Chicago. It is one of the best cities to be single.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM

132 posts, read 239,352 times
Whew! The pressure is off for me then, since I'm older than 30s, I figured I was going to have to pick up a husband on the way into town so I'd seem normal

Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,410,038 times
Maybe in the burbs, I think there is a more conservative attitude in the suburbs here than you might be used to on the west coast where it is still pretty open minded and liberal in a lot of california... not so much in the rest of illinois or indiana, and those people do commute into the city. NYC of course has a better singles scene for 30 year olds than Chicago, so don't expect it to be the same. I'm sure you will be fine but it isn't the same. The whole chad and trixie going to LP then moving to the suburbs story is a generalization but it is there for a reason. And, you will start to see a lot of baby carts and stuff once you get out of the core hoods and up into North Center, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square... etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM

132 posts, read 239,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Maybe in the burbs, I think there is a more conservative attitude in the suburbs here than you might be used to on the west coast where it is still pretty open minded and liberal in a lot of california... not so much in the rest of illinois or indiana, and those people do commute into the city.
So then I do need to pick up a hubby if I move to Chicago? Would an ex-husband do? I have pictures and can prove it

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,410,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Wood View Post
So then I do need to pick up a hubby if I move to Chicago? Would an ex-husband do? I have pictures and can prove it
no you will be fine I'm sure, I don't think you'll find much action in the burbs though . It isn't like LA or SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago