Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

Okay, silly question. Pointless question. But still, I'm sitting at O'Hare Airport waiting for a connecting flight and this question just popped into my head. And I'm bored.

I was born in Michael Reese Hospital and moved to Berlin when I was four. Both of my parents are German, born and raised in Germany. I have visited Chicago at least once a year, sometimes twice, due to work, and I can't help but fall in love with the city. I know that some people have "street cred." and some have been born in other countries, villages, cities and moved to Chicago and "paid" their dues. So, to those who have lived in Chicago, experienced it, loved it, hated it, would you accept someone who claims they are a Chicagoan if they left before creating any memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,763 times
Hmmm. Who is your favorite former top baseball prospect who turned out to be a bust: Joe Borchard or Corey Patterson? If you haven't heard of either guy, probably not.

Also, look in your refrigerator. Do you have any giardiniera?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM

278 posts, read 636,509 times
Yes. You can be a Chicagoan. Hell, JFK was a Berliner! I say: you were born in the city of Chicago, you've been back many times and love it, the spirit of Chicago is within you. Yeah, you're a Chicagoan! And don't let anyone tell you different.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 PM

121 posts, read 337,319 times
No, I believe you are not a Chicagoanista.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 PM

381 posts, read 842,569 times
In my thought process, no, I consider you a Berliner since you were born and raised there. There's a difference in admiring to living the experience day in and day out. If I was a visitor to Chicago and asked someone directions or advice where to eat I would want someone who knows what they're talking about. Same thing goes if I visited Berlin. I would want a resident who is familiar with the city to guide me, not a newbie.

I mean, my eldest sister was born in Paris, France and moved to the States about the same age you moved to Berlin. She doesn't have any strong attachments to the city nor the country. She considers herself a Chicagoan. Even though she did a semester abroad in France (she speaks French) she still considers herself a Chicagoan and not an once of Parisian. The only affiliation she has is her dual citizenship.

It may be just me. I had to work for my titles, my experiences, and don't claim to be something I'm not.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
I tend to think home is wherever you associate yourself with. For instance my grandmother lived in Chicago for the first 18 years of her life. The other 50 or so years she has been in Atlanta. She identifies with Chicago even though she hasn't lived here in ages.

While you haven't lived here for a long period of time you still associate yourself with Chicago as opposed to Berlin.

Chicago is a big transplant city anyway. To each their own.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
In my thought process, no, I consider you a Berliner since you were born and raised there
The OP was born at Michael Reese and lived here until they were four.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Chicago is a big transplant city anyway. To each their own.
Yeah, I think being born (or even raised) in the city limits isn't a requirement. Stud Terkel was born in NYC, Nelson Algren in Detroit, and Harry Caray in St. Louis. Are they not Chicagoans?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Sure, why not

Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Also, look in your refrigerator. Do you have any giardiniera?
Hahaha, my fiance LOVES this stuff and we currently have a bunch of it in the fridge. And we're moving to Chicago soon. He'll be so excited to know it's required food I had no idea this was a Chicago thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago