Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM

175 posts, read 637,151 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I forgot if I posted something on this because I've been in Poland the last 2 weeks - btw, amazing! Anyway, I am moving into my new place in Hyde Park July 1st and wanted to get to know the area better prior to arriving if possible. I'd love to get feedback on great restaurants and any pubs (I know there aren't a ton in HP) in the area where I could try right away. Speaking of pubs, a friend of mine told me about a pub called "The Pub" in the student union at University of Chicago. Anyone know if that is still there? He said he frequently hung out there and it had a great selection of beers. I'd also love to get to know folks in that area. I have a small dog so any great dog parks would be great!

Can't wait to be in Chicago! Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:34 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Well, drinkeries are few. The Cove is for undergrads and Jimmy's for more settled members of the community. The Cove is a gin mill in East Hyde Park and folks further west stagger out of Jimmy's. Both are on 55th street. There is decent fare at Seven Ten, too, along with bowling and billiards.

There's a whole passel of eateries on 53rd street and east on 55th street so if you took one a week, you'd be about five months trying them all. A lot of Asian cuisine is featured but Cedars Mediterranean and Leona's Italian near Woodlawn usually are crowded.

As for dog parks, there is no dedicated area but dog fanciers tend to gather in Nichols park with their charges right around sundown.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
Hi everyone,

I forgot if I posted something on this because I've been in Poland the last 2 weeks - btw, amazing! Anyway, I am moving into my new place in Hyde Park July 1st and wanted to get to know the area better prior to arriving if possible. I'd love to get feedback on great restaurants and any pubs (I know there aren't a ton in HP) in the area where I could try right away. Speaking of pubs, a friend of mine told me about a pub called "The Pub" in the student union at University of Chicago. Anyone know if that is still there? He said he frequently hung out there and it had a great selection of beers. I'd also love to get to know folks in that area. I have a small dog so any great dog parks would be great!

Can't wait to be in Chicago! Thanks in advance for any responses.
The Pub is still open..it's in the basement of Ida Noyes Hall ..not sure of the Summer hours ..but they have a pretty good selection of beers , and actually serve some harder mixed drinks these days ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago