U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
 
24 posts, read 37,381 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide on an area rife with 20-somethings (like myself). Safety is a secondary concern, but I wouldn't say I'm obsessive about it.

I don't feel that either Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park/Bucktown/etc. is really for me. I feel pretty "alright" about Lakeview, but I am definately interested in options beyond this.
From what I've somewhat gathered here thus far, given the above, my best options otherwise would perhaps be [A] Lincoln Square (Ravenswood specifically? I don't know) or [b] Edgewater?
Beyond this, Andersonville? I say "beyond this" because I've heard this is mostly a more preeminently gay community (not bothersome but not particularly what I'm looking for), yes?
The following I am not at all sure about, but I feel as though I've also caught stir about parts of Uptown, Rogers Park (West), Pilsen, and Hyde Park? I also feel that safety seems to be a relitively large concern with all of these (I know it is controversial to some extent), so I am initially turned off by the notion of these even if I am correct in this.

Frankly, I have no clue if I'm on the right track with a good portion of this- please let me know if I am (or am not), and any input you might have for me making a decision.
Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 2,122,134 times
Reputation: 805
Help us out here. What is your preferred vibe/scene? What kinds of things make you feel comfortable/at home? Are there neighborhoods in other cities that you'd consider a good example?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 95,230,349 times
Reputation: 29784
For the record, Andersonville is gay-friendly but it's not a conspicuous gay ghetto like Boystown is. While gay men have made their way up there, Andersonville is really more of a "Girlstown" than "Boystown" and that, IMO, contributes to its muted flamboyance compared to Boystown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Uptown
1,520 posts, read 2,354,040 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For the record, Andersonville is gay-friendly but it's not a conspicuous gay ghetto like Boystown is. While gay men have made their way up there, Andersonville is really more of a "Girlstown" than "Boystown" and that, IMO, contributes to its muted flamboyance compared to Boystown.

I know that's the wrap, but this years midsommarfest leaned heavily male. Me thinks the older gay men are rolling up north as well.

Either way, it would be easier to suggest places for the OP if they listed why they didn't like Wicker, Buck etc and what they were looking for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Berwyn, IL
2,419 posts, read 5,780,101 times
Reputation: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I know that's the wrap, but this years midsommarfest leaned heavily male. Me thinks the older gay men are rolling up north as well.

Either way, it would be easier to suggest places for the OP if they listed why they didn't like Wicker, Buck etc and what they were looking for.

Not only that, but I've noticed A LOT of gay males at bars and eateries around here too. Maybe even more so than girls in some instances. Maybe not a shift, but enough to make it seem less of a "girls town".

Even then, it seems like Andersonville is more a 30s and up kind of neighborhood. When my wife and I go out to eat, we notice that we're sometimes some of the younger ones there (I'm 28 and she's 24.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Uptown
1,520 posts, read 2,354,040 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Not only that, but I've noticed A LOT of gay males at bars and eateries around here too. Maybe even more so than girls in some instances. Maybe not a shift, but enough to make it seem less of a "girls town".

Even then, it seems like Andersonville is more a 30s and up kind of neighborhood. When my wife and I go out to eat, we notice that we're sometimes some of the younger ones there (I'm 28 and she's 24.)

My wife and I are similar (both 27) and I agree with you and like it that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Wicker Park/East Village area
2,473 posts, read 3,752,287 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
I'm trying to decide on an area rife with 20-somethings... I don't feel that either Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park/Bucktown/etc. is really for me. I feel pretty "alright" about Lakeview...
If LP/WP/Bucktown areas are not for you, why not? What is it about those areas that you didn't like?


Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
...my best options otherwise would perhaps be [A] Lincoln Square (Ravenswood specifically? I don't know) or [b] Edgewater?
Beyond this, Andersonville?
Those are all good areas and have different benefits/drwabacks to them, what are you wanting from a neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
...I feel as though I've also caught stir about parts of Uptown, Rogers Park (West), Pilsen, and Hyde Park?
Again, I like all these hoods, but they each have benfits/drawbacks of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
Frankly, I have no clue if I'm on the right track with a good portion of this- please let me know if I am (or am not), and any input you might have for me making a decision.
On the right track? Seems like you're on a bunch of tracks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM
 
1,800 posts, read 3,632,308 times
Reputation: 885
If you are not used to a major urban environment, I would not suggest Pilsen or Uptown, but Pilsen especially. It is not particularly safe. Uptown is doable, but not safe like Lakeview or Wicker Park or Downtown.

Hyde Park has a lot of 20 somethings, but I would say that most are tied to University of Chicago. Personally, I never liked the area; I found it boring. Not much going on in the way of nightlife and really separated from the active areas of the city and terrible public transit options.

Unfortunately, most of the 20 somethings are clustered around downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Bucktown.

Lincoln Square has a lot of stuff (bars, restaurants), and plenty of 20 somethings. It's a good neighborhood and you don't get the "Hey I just moved to Chicago from _______ and I'm awesome because I live downtown (or Lakeview)" attitude.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM
 
1,325 posts, read 3,880,178 times
Reputation: 510
Lincoln Square is an ultra cool neighborhood. Take a walk up Lincoln Avenue from Wilson to Lawrence and check it out. Tons of cool restaurants, shops, coffeehouses, the Davis Movie theatre.
And the Brown Line from the Western Ave stop will zip you safely to the Loop or you can get off at the Southport stop to hang out in Lakeview.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
 
13,310 posts, read 15,155,066 times
Reputation: 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Lincoln Square is an ultra cool neighborhood. Take a walk up Lincoln Avenue from Wilson to Lawrence and check it out. Tons of cool restaurants, shops, coffeehouses, the Davis Movie theatre.
And the Brown Line from the Western Ave stop will zip you safely to the Loop or you can get off at the Southport stop to hang out in Lakeview.
I say from Montrose to Lawrence!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top