Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I agree 100%. Why try to prop up or support businesses that can't compete? Isn't it competition that drives achievement and innovation? There is a food truck that comes to my work everyday and offers tasty, reasonably priced food. Because of this, no one at my work goes to the nearby Denny's, 7/11 or the gas station. Guess we need to put a stop to this
Denny's, 7/11 or gas station for lunch? wtf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Who's pulling the strings behind this food truck thing all of a sudden? Who stands to gain? Will as many people as want to put a truck out be allowed to or is the idea that only the connected will be able to do so?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 PM

207 posts, read 506,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
check out the Meatyballs Mobile. they go downtown and are supposed to be fantastic. they were featured on the Chicago's Best TV show. follow them on twitter to find out when/where they are

Twitter
Even with Meaty Balls and all its greatness, its still not a "true" Food Truck...thanks to ****ty of Chicago and its ordinance that states that the food has to be prepared in a county approved kitchen and pre-packaged for sale. A "true" food truck actually prepares the food on the truck...there is only one "true" food truck in Chicago "The All Fired Up" Bar-B-Que truck and this guy actually found a loophole in the system because the truck was apart of a brick and mortar restaurant that he purchased. Chicago is seriously out of the loop on this trend (no pun intended).

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
they aren't even making food in the trucks??? say what??? most of ones I went to out in CA were cooking up carne asada right there in front of you...that is why they were successful b/c it was cheap and ultra fresh made to order. I have passed a few lately and some of the items on these did looked package, and the prices were 7-8 bucks... say what?
I would want to get a 1.50 taco or something.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would want to get a 1.50 taco or something.

I keep seeing the term "gourmet" connected with these food trucks. Something tells me they're not talking about a 1930's style working man's lunch wagon and $1.50 tacos.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 PM

207 posts, read 506,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I keep seeing the term "gourmet" connected with these food trucks. Something tells me they're not talking about a 1930's style working man's lunch wagon and $1.50 tacos.
If Pepsi's were going for 5 cents on that truck I highly doubt they were selling Tacos for 1.50..LMAO..more like 25 cents.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Who's pulling the strings behind this food truck thing all of a sudden? Who stands to gain? Will as many people as want to put a truck out be allowed to or is the idea that only the connected will be able to do so?
It was actually started by Chicago restaurant owners and chefs. They wanted to support the general food culture in the city and provide opportunities for staff who are ready to move onto bigger things.

The original sponsors include guys like Rick Bayless, Paul Kahan, Graham Elliot, Charlie Trotter, and Grant Aschatz.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
If Pepsi's were going for 5 cents on that truck I highly doubt they were selling Tacos for 1.50..LMAO..more like 25 cents.
$1.50 would be cheap by our standards, that was the point.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
$1.50 would be cheap by our standards, that was the point.
Well, to address both your points, I generally like all food, but I want it to be real, and I want it to be fresh. It certainly doesn't have to be gourmet. If it a cheap quality taco, fresh cut fries, a chicken leg, fresh grilled onions something similar, I will definitely eat it. I stay away from pretty much all chains though like subway, burger king, etc... it's all processed garbage to me and I'd much rather support a local food guy who actually put his own feel into making the food (whether healthy/gourmet/junk), choosing the menu instead of having it delegated at corporate HQ what the tastes of the masses will be. I also hate paying too much for what I consider the food is worth, I will pay up for high quality ingredients for a nice night out, but paying 7 bucks for an arbys sandwich and fries combo? No way! a subway sandwich i could have made at my house? no way... Slicing fresh gyro meat into a warm pita? OK, now you are talking. I don't have that in my house, AND it's affordable. Grilling up a ton of onions to perfection, well, that is going to take awhile and I can't do that at home too easy either. Getting a fresh out of the oven slice of pizza? Yeah... not going to be that good if I do it at home, don't have that type of oven, nor can I produce in mass and sell to public at reasonable price for just a slice. Gimme Gimme.
Most of the loop area is littered with crappy chains, and it seems every year the only few local places get bought up, like a falafel place Petra on s. Wells, now a stupid "i love falafel" with taco bell type workers instead of going in there getting samples, watching euro soccer on the tv and getting real home cooked food.
Even across from the art institute is a freaking bennigans, that place should be bulldozed like the airfield at night.
So yeah, bring in the food trucks, but also bring in the guy in a hot dog cart or taco truck, needs both. make it a big rowdy circus instead of a sterile environment.
Anyway, I think you get what I am looking for when I pay to eat out.

Last edited by grapico; 06-20-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
If it brings good food to the loop I'm all for it. I'm sick of choosing between potbellys, mcdonalds, and panda.
Don't forget 3 Subways on every block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago