Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM

207 posts, read 505,586 times

Advertisements

I would love to see an assortment of gourmet food trucks around the city...I think Chicago would have more to offer than the LA scene....hopefully we can get an ordinance passed making it easier for aspiring food truck owners to start their businesses. We only have one "true" food truck....I find that to be very ! Sometimes Chicago can really have a stick up its own ***

Last edited by linicx; 06-28-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,172,329 times
Lord knows I love to eat, but the logistics of trying to ensure a fair and safe allocation of resources just seems like such a waste. How much more good would come from increasing the inspections at existing resturants and maybe reducing the restaurant tax to encourage more young / creative types to open places that will do more good in terms of jobs and neighborhoods than some smelly truck which cogsup traffic and competes with existing businesses who have much high costs...

Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM

But even if they do reduce the taxes the low start-up costs associated with a food truck compared to owning a restaurant is like night and day. $5 to 10,000 vs. $50 to 150,000 its a no-brainer, much much lower overhead and a food truck can sell just as much or more food than a traditional. Food trucks are more profitable. And a traditional restaurants customers are confined to mainly neighborhood residence who may or may not want to support therefore making it a riskier venture. Where as a food truck can make money where ever the traffic is, and with the right spot at the right time they can clean up.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,951,816 times
If it brings good food to the loop I'm all for it. I'm sick of choosing between potbellys, mcdonalds, and panda.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
the logistics of trying to ensure a fair and safe allocation of resources just seems like such a waste.
Why would it be a waste??....it seem like Chicago is insistent on being
a "worker bee" culture. Your whole statement is senseless.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,172,329 times
The costs of hiring MORE inspectors to potentially allow lower overhead food trucks to drive DOWN businessin traditional restraints that pay more wrkers and help to stabilize communities by renting out the retailspace is a LOOSING proposition. The City would paying more inspectors and seeing DECLINING revenue . How they gonna make sure the food trucks rare paying taxes?

Just seems like a HUGE step BACKWARDS into a sort of cruddy "small town" kind of mnd set. I mean for crying out there are no shortage of creatives chef around. Try getting a ticket to Achatz place Next....

You can't tell me that with so many people willing to throw down dough like that there is no profit to be had from opening a REAL resturant that employs MANY MORE people, has certified safe food handling practices and is in EVERY WAY better for the City. What happens when the driver / chef has to take Pee? They gonna pull into a Citgo station and trust they won't com me out with nore germs on their hands than you average contagious disease researcher with a failed clean suit???

Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,194,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Just seems like a HUGE step BACKWARDS into a sort of cruddy "small town" kind of mnd set. I mean for crying out there are no shortage of creatives chef around. Try getting a ticket to Achatz place Next....
What in the world are you talking about?!?! Passing the ordinance will put Chicago in line with "small towns" like New York and LA - where food trucks are doing great business, and frequently allow chefs to raise money to open a bricks and mortar restaurant. Chicago is way behind on this.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM

622 posts, read 1,193,861 times
check out the Meatyballs Mobile. they go downtown and are supposed to be fantastic. they were featured on the Chicago's Best TV show. follow them on twitter to find out when/where they are

Twitter

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,448,218 times
if the restaurants in the loop can't compete with the food trucks, they don't deserve to be there. And even without food trucks, the restaurant scene in the loop is pretty dismal.
iI think putting more food trucks, street performers and generally more activity overall in the downtown and core, instead of making it all corporate which has been the trend over the last 5 years is a better way to go.
I generally bring my lunch downtown b/c frankly most of the food in the loop sucks or if it is good, is too expensive.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,789,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
if the restaurants in the loop can't compete with the food trucks, they don't deserve to be there. And even without food trucks, the restaurant scene in the loop is pretty dismal.
iI think putting more food trucks, street performers and generally more activity overall in the downtown and core, instead of making it all corporate which has been the trend over the last 5 years is a better way to go.
I generally bring my lunch downtown b/c frankly most of the food in the loop sucks or if it is good, is too expensive.
I agree 100%. Why try to prop up or support businesses that can't compete? Isn't it competition that drives achievement and innovation? There is a food truck that comes to my work everyday and offers tasty, reasonably priced food. Because of this, no one at my work goes to the nearby Denny's, 7/11 or the gas station. Guess we need to put a stop to this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago