Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,212,499 times

Advertisements

yeah, I saw my favorite band in a garage (attached to a bar) the other night in Logan Square. technically the venue was only asking for "donations" because of some ordinance that I didn't get to read, so I COULD have gotten in for free, but i love my favorite band so much I paid the $7 to see them.

$15 or more is regular fare for the Metro, but I don't go there often.

at least Chicago GETS GOOD SHOWS. I come from having to drive 200+ miles to see my favorite bands, so I'm in luxury heaven right now. Even $15, drink money and cab fare is much MUCH cheaper than gas money, show money, food money, cab fare and hotel money - plus the time having to drive 4 or more hours to a show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,504,965 times
Taste of Chicago has plenty alone.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,504,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
technically the venue was only asking for "donations" because of some ordinance that I didn't get to read, so I COULD have gotten in for free, but i love my favorite band so much I paid the $7 to see them.
"Public Place of Amusement." Anywhere that requires an admission fee is deemed a PPA and has to have the required license; thus, galleries and other non-standard venues often have "suggested donations" -- like the museums used to.

Personally, I like the free-with-student-ID (regardless of how ancient) CSO concerts at Ravinia, and free Mondays at the Bottle.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,616,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
At least in indianapolis where I was from they had real groups like hootie and the blowfish and not cover bands and no name bands. I live in lakeview. What am i missing here?
Ahhh, I have not laughed that hard in a long, long time.

Honestly, perhaps Indy is more your speed. I don't think Chicago can offer what you're looking for.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,852,052 times
Pick up a Chicago Reader which is free and comes out every Thursday. They are distributed in boxes and in businesses all over the city. The Chicago Reader has a very complete list of everything going on each week. TIme Out Chicago is another great publication. Grant Park, Millennium Park, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Daley Plaza, numerous neighborhood festivals, etc. offer free music, mainly in summer.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,343,513 times
Yeah, a lot of the bigger-name bands do their free shows at the Taste. This year they had Kenny Rogers, John Mayer, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Umphrey's McGee, The Black Crowes, Cheap Trick, Soul Asylum, Cracker, and Los Lonely Boys, plus others. A lot of those bands aren't my speed, but they're major acts with no cover charge. Any one is Hootie level or above. (Though I can't knock Hootie. They're my hometown boys.)

"But that was all at one event" you may say. Well, supplement that with other random concerts (The Decemberists with a full orchestra backing them in Millennium Park) and lots of 'No Name Bands' that are often awesome (in Lincoln Square we have the Folk and Roots Music festival and concerts in Giddings Plaza all summer) plus good, fun, well-done cover band stuff and you have a great summer for music. I don't know of anywhere else that has as much as accessible. If you try even a little you will find this music.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,030 times
Talking i cant wait to see... if anyone knows anymore let me know yeah?

okay...
Calumet, IL
River Oaks Mall
Friday, September 8, 2006
3:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Paula DeAnda

Orland Park, IL
Orland Square Mall
Saturday, September 9, 2006
3:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Cheyenne Kimball
Come meet Taylor from MTV's Laguna Beach Season 2

`Day Schedule: Chicago
12:00 pm Venue opens
Featuring:
A Kidnap in Color

12:45 pm Freestyle Moto Demo
Featuring:

1:15 PM Adio/Ipath Skate Demo
Featuring:

2:00 pm Band Perfomance
Featuring:
Inept

2:45 pm Freestyle MotoDemo
Featuring:

3:15 pm Band Perfomance
Featuring:
The Alumni Club

4:00 pm Adio/Ipath Skate Demo
Featuring:

4:40 pm Opening Act
Featuring:
Envy on the Coast

5:30 pm Freestyle Moto Demo
Featuring:

6:00 pm Band Perfomance
Featuring:
Taking Back Sunday presented by Macbeth
I am so not missing this show! its at orland square mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago