Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Having said that, I think the war on drugs is a huge waste. If someone want's to poison their body, I say let them, as long as they don't cause me any trouble. Once they do, throw the book at them. It's not the laws that prevent me from using drugs, it's my own free will. I feel everyone should have the right to choose for themselves.
Yep, it's all about moderation - all sorts of normal things can make people go nuts if they consume too much of them.

Take meth - people make it from over-the-counter drugs which are not the problem in and of themselves.

Or how about sugar - most scientists will tell you that sugar is technically a drug, and the abuse of it is actually costing us *plenty* in terms of health care expenses.

But we obviously don't go around locking people up just because they consume Twinkies by the carton, or arresting the Twinkies salespeople.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Take meth - people make it from over-the-counter drugs which are not the problem in and of themselves.
Well, meth is chemically different from the stuff in the OTC meds used to make it. I think the damage done by meth comes more from sending your brain into fight or flight, and just putting your body into overdrive. Nothing good can come from constantly sending your body into panic mode, eventually you will snap. Absolutely scary drug, I can't believe anyone would want that crap inside their body.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
if someone claims to be so poor that they have to live in a house and eat food that I PAY FOR WITH MY TAXES, then i have zero issue with making sure they're not using their money to buy drugs while i feed and house them.

and i can't believe the city doesn't have drug testing already. you mean none of the people driving garbage trucks, cop cars, trains, busses, etc. are drug tested? are you effing kidding me?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
if someone claims to be so poor that they have to live in a house and eat food that I PAY FOR WITH MY TAXES, then i have zero issue with making sure they're not using their money to buy drugs while i feed and house them.

and i can't believe the city doesn't have drug testing already. you mean none of the people driving garbage trucks, cop cars, trains, busses, etc. are drug tested? are you effing kidding me?
seems reasonable

Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:

Actually, what I find ironic is that police officers and firefighters ARE drug tested. So, it's okay for the city to test them, just not the totally rude "greeter" at city hall. To me, if it's okay to test one type of city employee, it should be okay to test others. To me it seems like the jobs that are given out as political exchanges are the ones being given special treatment.

I agree about the housing though... I'm not suggesting we throw all these people in jail if they are using. But, they are costing us tax dollars anyway, so if they're doing drugs, I think they should be in a rehab program so that there's some chance that one day they will be productive members of society.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Actually, what I find ironic is that police officers and firefighters ARE drug tested. So, it's okay for the city to test them, just not the totally rude "greeter" at city hall.
Let's see... possible risks of public safety personnel abusing drugs: could be quite disastrous. Possible risks of "greeter" abusing drugs: s/he might not show up one day, or might be on the sassy side.

If you can get out of the superiority/judgment/punishment mindset, you can see the absurdity of expanding drug testing.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I agree about the housing though... I'm not suggesting we throw all these people in jail if they are using. But, they are costing us tax dollars anyway, so if they're doing drugs, I think they should be in a rehab program so that there's some chance that one day they will be productive members of society.
That's a nice idea in theory, but that's not what's on the table. There are no rehabilitation programs available to these people.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's a nice idea in theory, but that's not what's on the table. There are no rehabilitation programs available to these people.
i know it sounds terrible but who cares? i don't want to subsidize drug users.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
i know it sounds terrible but who cares? i don't want to subsidize drug users.
What do you think you're doing when they're in prison?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM

wait....what? what are you talking about? can you tell me what's wrong with not wanting to feed and house people that are doing drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: