Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a lurker of this forum. I recently created an account for a very user specific question (prior to this, I used the search function as well as extensive research, but I was unable to find any results).

Now, let's bring in a quick biography. I recently moved to Chicago from the Bay Area (Silicon Valley of California) with my family. Now, a quick demure and objective look of my current residence has given me a great outlook after a heartbreaking event. I'm currently residing on the Magnificent Mile with view of the Wrigley Building. As I have alluded, the reason I have moved to Chicago has been caused by a host of issues that I'd like to not delve into too deeply. To keep it brief (and grounded on my education), I had to forgo the opportunity to go to USC due to financial troubles. I am currently hoping to transfer to Northwestern University to pursue a Biomedical Engineering degree.

Now, my issue comes into play. Pertaining to my goal of transferring to Northwestern, which City College would be most beneficial? I live amazingly close (within walking distance) from Harold Washington College. However, the online reviews I've read seem to indicate that it isn't the best college. Furthermore, the review surrounding the City Colleges are less than lackluster. I have looked into the possibility of enrolling in a community college out in the suburbs (Oakton Community College was a possibility). However, the elevated out of district costs of the community colleges out in the suburb are a bit constraining. And, transportation may be an issue as I'm not used to the colder temperatures of Chicago during wintertime, since I am from Northern California which has very mild temperatures. Of course, money is an issue, but I would be prepared to put in the funds for one year if it means my chances of transferring to Northwestern (with most if not all of my credits) is heightened. Also, as a point of reference, I am a recent high school graduate without a driver's license (thus, I would be restricted to the CTA and other forms of public transportation).

I would like some advice regarding this matter from current and past students of the city colleges and suburban colleges as well as other members of this fantastic community who are more knowledgeable about the system.

How would a suburban community college compare to the city colleges (educationally--with transfer in mind)? Would it be worth the troubles of elevated expenses and transportation for the sole purpose of transferring? How is Harold Washington College (since it is the closest city college)?

Please keep in mind: My goals are to transfer out of a community college to Northwestern University after 1 year. (UIUC is out of my possible transfer to list since it eliminates the possibility of transferring into their bioengineering program.) Also, Northwestern University is one of my transfer choices. I am also looking into other out of state opportunities (possibly Duke or UCSD).

Thank you for replying (if you choose to do so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I disagree. It is probably MUCH WISER for someone with the chops to get accepted at USC to approach the "higher ups" at full college and ask their advice. Ideally a phone call to the director of admissions. You will probably want to pare down things -- keep it to "I got accepted to USC, had to relocate to Chicago and now need to make some decisions about continuing toward my goal of Biomedical Engineering".

My guess is that, if money is the only barrier, the best path is to try and scrape together the cash for UIC. They might also be worth trying to contact the higher ups and also seeking financial aid.

Schools like Northwestern get a huge volume of transfer applications and the quality of the school VERY MUCH matters in their consideration.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM

381 posts, read 842,569 times
Try this forum:

Transfer Students - College Confidential

Sibling and I used it. It'll be more helpful than this forum.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 PM

I made sure to post on College Confidential. However, my issue is more localized (regarding Harold Washington College versus suburban community colleges), so I thought I'd pop the question here as well.

I haven't had the chance, but I will certainly contact admissions office in both Northwestern and UIC to understand my options. As far as community college goes, I went by Harold Washington today and spoke to the registrar and she didn't seem very willing to help (seems to agree with the gist of online reviews about the college). I spoke to a very helpful student, but she said most transfers were to local colleges like DePaul and Loyola. I'm focused on heading to a college with a biomedical engineering major (Northwestern in mind).

Thanks for the information so far.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM

56 posts, read 169,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfuldreadful View Post
I made sure to post on College Confidential. However, my issue is more localized (regarding Harold Washington College versus suburban community colleges), so I thought I'd pop the question here as well.

I haven't had the chance, but I will certainly contact admissions office in both Northwestern and UIC to understand my options. As far as community college goes, I went by Harold Washington today and spoke to the registrar and she didn't seem very willing to help (seems to agree with the gist of online reviews about the college). I spoke to a very helpful student, but she said most transfers were to local colleges like DePaul and Loyola. I'm focused on heading to a college with a biomedical engineering major (Northwestern in mind).

Thanks for the information so far.
My experience with community colleges if you will need to go that route is only in the suburbs and I've been to Willbur Wright just to find out some info on school's courses.I went to Harper and then transferred to 4 yr school and I liked it better.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odina_123 View Post
My experience with community colleges if you will need to go that route is only in the suburbs and I've been to Willbur Wright just to find out some info on school's courses.I went to Harper and then transferred to 4 yr school and I liked it better.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you transfer to from Harper (although Harper may be an excessive hike from my current location)? Also, how was your experience at Wilbur Wright? I feel community college may be my route and I need more information about the transfer record of the community college around Chicago.

I hope my inquiry isn't too direct.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
Did you mention University of Illinois- Chicago? If you were admitted into USC you should have not problem getting into UIC. Also if you were admitted into USC then you should also have a decent chance being admitted into UIUC.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Admittance into UIUC is not a possibility because they bar transfer students from the bioengineering program (my goal). Also, UIC is not a likely path due to my financial situation. So, right now I am leaning more towards transferring from a community college. As a result, I am more interested in finding out which community college would be more advantageous for a transfer minded student? I am a little worried right now.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:50 PM

56 posts, read 169,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfuldreadful View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you transfer to from Harper (although Harper may be an excessive hike from my current location)? Also, how was your experience at Wilbur Wright? I feel community college may be my route and I need more information about the transfer record of the community college around Chicago.

I hope my inquiry isn't too direct.
No, not at all...When I transferred I got into all of the state schools I wanted UIC, NIU ect. Went to Northeastern.(BAD idea) But no longer want to stay there, so we'll see what future brings. I had no trouble getting into schools after community college. Had a descent GPA. Definitely not 4.0 lol I was looking into Wilbur Wright, but they had no classes I needed over the summer, so I backed out of it.I have heard it is descent, but I cant attest whether it is true or not. My best advice is to talk to current students if it possible and research well.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The issue that I think is serious enough to make the extra effort to contact the higher ups in the admissions department at Northwestern is that the odds of there being MANY MANY MANY more transfer applicants for desirable programs than they can accomodate is that they almost certainly will have to factor the quality of the school from which the student is transferring -- for schools like NEIU, NIU, SIU, etc they have a different mission and they will work to accomodate any student that appears qualified...

Just as the OP has already found at UIC some programs are not open to transfer students. I have found UIC to have a VERY bueracratic mindset and even IF you could get ahold of a "hgher up" they are likely to be inflexible. In my experience the better private universities empower the staff to make smart decisions BUT they still have standards and part of those standards involve evaluation of the school from which students wish to transfer. It also almost goes without saying that unless there are some extraordinary circumstances transfer student to a school like Northwestern pretty much need to have straight A's in all coursework taken in college...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago